Think about your strongest musical memories: the first song you danced to, the first time music made you cry, the first time music scared you. Composers touch our lives, but they usually have trouble making ends meet, much less getting their works performed or recorded. We're trying to change that in Orlando, Fl by blazing a trail and creating infrastructure to connect the audiences, composers, students and performers of new music - not just classical music, but electronic, jazz and unclassifiable music.
The Accidental Music Festival will take place over ten days in September 2011 and will feature a variety of events in addition to great concerts. The main venue is Urban Rethink, a coworking space for professionals by day, and a venue for cultural events by night. Among the events that Urban Rethink will host are:
- composer-led public discussions on contemporary music
- open rehearsals of the Accidental Music Festival chamber orchestra and big band
- a concert of new chamber music works
- a Sunday afternoon composition workshop for middle school and high school composers
The series will culminate with a concert of new and recent works held at Timucua (www.timucua.com), a concert hall in downtown Orlando that has recently hosted artists like David Amram, Matthew Ship, and David Behrman.
Guest composer and conductor Juan Trigos
Flautist, pianist, vocalist, composer, improvisor Emily Hay
Featured soloist Dieter Hennings
Improvisor, composer, and instrument inventor Bryan Eubanks
Composer, virtuoso trumpet player Matt McCarthy.
All events start at 7PM unless otherwise noted:
- Sunday, 9/4/11 - The Civic Minded Five present Flautist/pianist/composer Emily Hay with percussionist Brad Dutz and pianist Wayne Peet at Timucua.
- Monday, 9/5/11 - Open rehearsal of John Alvarez's "In The Beginning" at Urban Rethink.
- Tuesday, 9/6 - Bryan Eubanks and Jason Kahn perform at Urban Rethink.
- Wednesday 9/7 - Open rehearsal of Juan Trigos' "Ricercare VI" at Urban Rethink.
- Thursday 9/8 - Chamber music concert at Urban Rethink featuring the world premiere of works by Thad Anderson and Phil Swasey
- Friday 9/9 - An informal night of free improvisation, film, conversation, and the unexpected
- Saturday 9/10 - Composer Juan Trigos discusses his work (featuring video of his operas)
- Sunday 9/11 - Premiere of "In The Beginning," "Ricercare VI," and Keith Lay's "Suite" at Timucua. (7PM) Student composers' workshop at Urban Rethink (3PM).
- Tuesday, 9/13 - Dieter Hennings performs a solo guitar recital at University of Central Florida. (8PM)
Composer, performer Thad Anderson
Sound installationist, composer, improvisor Jason Kahn
Composer Keith Lay
Donate $40 and receive this t-shirt!
The Accidental Music Festival is made possible by support from the Mexican Consulate of Orlando, Prohelvetia - Swiss Arts Council, Timucua Arts Foundation, Urban Think Foundation, Civic Minded Five, and The Guitar Series at UCF.
Hotel accommodations provided by Embassy Suites Hotel - Downtown Orlando.
TheDailyCity.com is the official media sponsor of the Accidental Music Festival.
- (34 days)