WHY ARE WE DOING THIS?
We want children and youth to strengthen their bonds with the ocean through gratitude, respect and curiosity. We all have the power to generate a positive impact on the environment and the marine life and to create the best vibes with each other.
WHY WE NEED YOUR HELP?
This crowdfunding campaign will help us to print a minimum number of copies of the book to make this project possible. It works like a pre-order.
- Mid-January: Crowdfunding campaign starts.
- Mid-February: Crowdfunding campaign ends.
- Mid-March: Kickstarter releases funds and we start printing books!
- Mid-April: Printing is done and we start delivering!
This is a mock-up of how our book will look like:
- A hardcover book with matte lamination and 120 colour pages full of stoke.
- Book size: 20.6 x 22 cm.
- High-quality thick paper build to last (uncoated offset paper, 140 gsm), 100% sourced from sustainable forestry for your peace of mind.
- Printed in the Basque Country (where Andrés runs ocean education workshops). Printing it locally will give us better control over it.
High-quality, engaging and friendly content studied in depth and supervised by specialists from different natural sciences such as Oceanography, Marine Biology and Meteorology.
We connect the surfing experience with environmental and natural sciences. How does nature work to keep the environment in balance and also allow us to surf? Let's learn about how the energy of the wind creates waves, explore the wonderful diversity of life along the coasts, and acknowledge all the hard work that goes into making every surf forecast.
We have worked hard for the complementarity and not redundant use of text and images to boost the main narrative and the children's imagination. We know children open books on any page and also read from back to front. We made sure that any page they might open will be self-sustaining and enjoyable!
Every single drawing was handmade: sketched with pencils and finalized with brushes and India ink. Check out the video on top to watch how it was made!
We were able to create a book that is engaging for all ages. How can this be done? Each spread leads the eye around in a way that the youngest will be able to appreciate and enjoy the book focusing on captivating illustrations and titles, while children from around 7 years onwards will get deeper into more informative texts to boost their curiosity. We also believe that a great children’s book is actually a book for all ages!
Inês and Andrés both met in London (UK).
- Author and editor / Andrés Cosarinsky Campos. Studied Image and Sound Design at the University of Buenos Aires. He is the author of a book that formed part of the national reading program of Mexico, which triggers children's curiosity about nature and weather in an easy, original and fun way. As part of Kaimiloa Project, he has partnered with Pukas Surf Eskola and runs ocean education workshops in the Basque Country. Know more about his work by clicking here.
- Art director and illustrator / Inês da Fonseca. After graduate and post-graduate studies in Design at IADE Creative University (Lisbon), she started her career as an art director at Ogilvy & Mather Lisbon and then moved to McCann Worldgroup in London, where she currently lives. Now she is fully dedicated into bringing illustrations to the children´s world. KAIMILOA will be her 10th published children´s book. Know more about her work by clicking here.
'When children can relate what they learn to their own experiences, their interest in life awakens, their memory is activated, and what they learn is made their own'. Rudolf Steiner
FIND MORE ABOUT KAIMILOA PROJECT ON www.kaimiloaproject.com
Copyright © 2018 Andrés Cosarinsky Campos
Text & Edition © 2018 Andrés Cosarinsky Campos.
Illustrations & Art © 2018 Inês da Fonseca.
All rights reserved.
SHIPPING ALERT! Depending on your country, you may be responsible for paying some kind of import tax, duty or handling fee. Please find out about your country's policy if you are concerned about unexpected fees.
If you have any further questions, please contact Andrés at firstname.lastname@example.org
MAIN VIDEO CREDITS
- Original music | Felipe Chaves Kroug - email@example.com
- Animations | Mariano Santinelli from Barro Studio.
- Camera | Ulises Proust.
Risks and challenges
We minimized the risks to the fullest. The book is ready to print and we have a printing house to work with. We chose Kickstarter because its all-or-nothing funding is simple and clear: the amount pledged will help us reach a minimum number of copies that makes the project viable, and if we don't reach it you won't be charged. Let's make it happen!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)