PREORDER ON KICKSTARTER AND GET YOUR FIRST ISSUE IN NOVEMBER (in time for the holidays)!
Maine the Way began as a curated Instagram account that shared the beautiful photographs of Maine taken by photographers around the state. Over the past three years, the account has exceeded all of our expectations and has become a forum for artists to share their perspective with the state.
For the past year, we've been working on the next iteration of Maine the Way: a quarterly print publication.
Print is Alive
Maine the Way is a new kind of Maine publication. Bringing the concept of "slow-journalism" to Maine, we take the time to properly research, write, and photograph our stories, design a beautiful finished product, and give you, the reader, ample time to thoroughly enjoy each issue before the next one comes to your door. The 160-page magazine leaves plenty of room for each piece to unfold naturally and for full page photographic spreads. With a mix of in-depth articles, photo essays, poetry, and illustration, Maine the Way has something for everyone.
From the get-go, it has been extraordinarily important to us to make the finest publication we feasibly can. As such, the magazine features gorgeous heavy-weight uncoated paper giving a luxurious fine-art look, while the matte finished cover looks as good as any book. It is printed right here in Maine with environmentally friendly vegetable-based inks, in a 100% wind-powered facility.
In each Issue, we will dedicate 10 pages (6%) to our sponsors, whose support makes this quarterly a reality, while leaving the remaining 150 pages (94%) ad-free.
Issue 01: Winter
After almost a year of photographing, writing, and designing, we are excited to announce the upcoming launch of Issue 01: Winter. In the first Issue, we cover two guides dogsledding in Western Maine, a historic theater in Bar Harbor given new life, an insight into how the North Pond Hermit survived 27 inhospitable winters in the Maine woods, and so much more!
Be a Part
Stemming from the original premise on Instagram, we are proud to feature artists of all disciplines throughout the state. From from photographers shooting and developing their own film to journalists that immerse themselves in their story, we want you to work on a piece that excites you. We wanted to create a forum for artists to be represented. We are so grateful for the contributors who joined us in this first Issue!
How You Can Help
Issue 01 is ready for print and Issues 02 & 03 are in production. The project has been entirely self-funded up until this point, but now we need your help to raise the funds for the first print run. We are offering presales of single issues and subscriptions with some extra goodies thrown in and some larger gifts only available as part of this Kickstarter. Check them out below!
*Actual design may differ for future issues and calendar, images for illustrative purposes only.
Risks and challenges
While we do not expect any delays in the printing of Issue 01, hiccups have been known in the print industry. To make sure that our magazine will get to supporters before the holidays, we have already completed the design, and have intentionally left a larger window than we expect to need for printing and distribution. We will also be available to contact if any questions arise, and will keep all of our supporters up to date with the project.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)