Musket Smoke II: Have a BLAST with Turn-Based Battle Tactics
Musket Smoke II: Have a BLAST with Turn-Based Battle Tactics
Enormous tactical options! A pre-napoleonic battle chess on steroids! Play online today or wait for the Solo Campaign. Outstanding UI!
Enormous tactical options! A pre-napoleonic battle chess on steroids! Play online today or wait for the Solo Campaign. Outstanding UI! Read more
About this project
Thanks for checking out this project. ALL pledges of 7 or more come with a free copy of the game, exclusive map(s), a special badge and include multi-player beta access. I will basically 'gift' the game to you when it is completed. Likewise only backers get early access to the scenario editor (beta). Note that the exclusive maps will NEVER be in the public's hands.
Also note that Musket Smoke II is iOS only (iPhone/iPad). Although distant stretch goals could possibly change that. I'll flesh out those details when we get closer to getting the original funding achieved.
- Update #1 - An awesome start!!
- Update #2 - Backer Online Battle testing soon.
- Update #3 - The 4 Campaign Leaderboards.
- Update #4 - Pocket Tactics, plus news tidbits and details..
- Update #5 - Online Multiplayer testing, info prep.
- Update #6 - Single Player Overview.
- Update #7 - Getting started with Online Matches.
- Update #8 - 2 Stretch Goals.
- Update #9 - Improvements with player retention.
- Update #10 - Main Kickstarter Video - Redone!
- Update #11 - The lure that failed.
- Update #12 - A few quick tips for beta testers..
- Update #13 - The Interview. (on cliqist)
- Update #14 - The battle is almost over.
- Update #15 - The final update.
New to Musket Smoke? Grab Musket Smoke for iPhone and iPad. This will give you some hands on experience and show why backing Musket Smoke II is such a good idea.
One of our fans is so passionate about Musket Smoke, he even wrote a song about it! Now that's dedication. Listen below. :)
Musket Smoke II details:
Single Player : The English Civil War Campaign.
- Fight a variety of randomly-generated battles as Oliver Cromwell to Liberate (or Conquer?) England in the name of Parliamentary Democracy!
- Build your army until it's ready for victory! Engage in Scouting Missions, Skirmishes and Outpost Assaults to gather resources and build new units for your army until you are ready to take on the Royalists in a Major Battle.
- Use Oliver Cromwell to capture enemy conscripts. But if he dies, the Campaign is lost!
Musket Smoke VS Musket Smoke II
- MS is free with a single in-app purchase. MS2 will not be a free app (Solo Campaign and Online Battles) are included.
- MS is Multiplayer focused. MS2 is Single Player focused (but includes Multiplayer).
- Both apps have AI and Single Player, but MS2 makes Single Player much more enjoyable with the Cromwell Campaign.
- MS is currently in the App Store as a universal app. MS2 is currently under development, although the Online Multiplayer component is currently in beta testing.
- MS's online multiplayer campaign is based upon A Dutch Franco war in Naarden. MS2 is based upon the English Civil War.
- MS2 will contain exclusive content for backers. Maps & Badges.
- MS2 backers also get permanent access to the Campaign Scenario Editor.
Build your own New Model Army
- Capture resources during your battles to build the army you want. Pikes, Muskets, Horses, Cannons, Armor, Men - if you find 'em, you can build 'em!
Introducing, The English Civil War Units!
Note: Some of these units will optionally have Armour.
Lancer: If this mounted unit moves, it causes big damage. A simple movement of even 1 hex will give it triple melee damage. Likewise only this unit does full damage cavalry charges. (all other mounted units do half damage cavalry charges).
Cavalry: These pistol wielding mounted horsemen were known for moving right up along side you and shooting you point blank for extra damage. Otherwise known as Harquebusiers. Great mobility. Charges.
Heavy Cavalry: An extra layer of expensive armour never hurts. Also wielding a pistol. Otherwise known as Cuirassiers. Slowest of the mounted units, but dangerous and can still charge as well.
Dragoon: Weak on a mount, strong on the ground. Charge through a line and then deploy for maximum effect. Strong melee.
Musketeer: Longer ranged musket fire support. Point blank bonus, weak melee.
Pikeman: Defensive bonus vs mounts. Beware the counterstrikes. Good formations and Rally.
Heavy Cannon: Range 8 with plus 1 damage. Manual grape shot.
Light Cannon: Move 1 and fire. Range 6. No manual grape shot but has auto grapeshot defence when melee locked.
Mortar: Instant area damage with blinding smoke.
Howitzer: Light area damage with blinding smoke, greater range.
Who is The Duchess?
- She will provide you with Intelligence and advice. But who's side is she really on?
Sides in the War
- Parliamentarians (Green) vs Royalists (Blue)
- You play GREEN, the Enemy AI plays Blue.
- Easy as finger painting.
- Can place random terrain. 50% chance to show up.
- Only 70% of enemy units placed randomly show up. The scenarios are actually templates with random parts.
- Some enemy tokens can be random types. Enemy Leaders and Earl units are not random and will always be there.
- Keeps and Stock Houses store random resources.
- Enemy AI initial movement 'suggestions' can be placed.
- Pressed units can be captured by your leader.
- The 4 light armoured units are selectable.
- Every battle also includes 4 Heavy Cavalry units.
- Plus a Commander and a Keep means 18 units per battle.
- Online battles include LOS visual obstructions.
- 3 ways to win: Keep, Commander or points.
- Fantastic new maps.
The peach farm. Each map has custom start positions.
Extra details about Rewards:
1) Some rewards are limited due to Apple only allows up to 1000 beta testers.
2) Reward Badges (will show up in multiplayer matches or on your campaign page.)
3) Bonus multiplayer maps and Supporter Rank Badges come as an emailed access code. There will be an option to not show your supporter badge to others if you so choose. Any exclusive maps you get you will be able to play with both friends and random Game Center opponents. The general public will NEVER be able to download these maps. They will not be for sale as in-app purchases. They will belong only to the backers.
4) Golden Avatar (Cromwell in the campaign, or your Duke in Multiplayer - is Yellow)
5) Prime Supporter Credits (Available for pledges between 40 and 100)
6) Elite Supporter Credits (Available for pledges between 250 and 900)
7) Custom multiplayer map *creation*. (Optional, if you provide the design, I will add the map to the bonus that everyone has - so you are basically giving EVERYONE an extra map.) Your help boosts everyone’s bonus map pack directly.
8) King’s ability to suggest changes. Obviously I have to make a call on these (not all will be accepted) but know that your suggestions will have much more weight than your average fan.
The below image shows badge (reward) location.
Remaining Work for Musket Smoke II
- Universal tasks, creation of iPhone sized UI for various iPhones.
- New Custom AI for 6 or so unit types.
- AI sensitivity to LOS. (Yes you can surprise them)
- AI Commanders and ability to control the masses.
- AI initial move path suggestions.
- % chance for Special Earl Units awarded for Major Battle wins.
- Random resources donated from each Earl unit's estate, upon return from battles alive.
- Some Win conditions need work.
- The creation of dozens of campaign scenario templates.
- Campaign win and lose condition. Associated displays.
- Roster size constraints.
- The Duchess event AI.
- The Duchess battle monitor AI.
- The Duchess events to human dialog logic.
- The Duchess special requests (side objectives).
- Leaderboards and Legendary Achievements (for default campaign, but not for player made campaigns.)
- Scenario play-testing, balancing.
- Each Scenario should have a random % chance to be virtually impossible to win. Players are expected to assess situation (via scouting) and withdrawal early from battles deemed too costly to win.
- Separate player made campaign from default one.
- Bug fixing.
- Some iPhone sized UI adjustments.
- Bug fixing.
- New Achievement system.
- iPhone sized UI adjustments.
- Option adjustments.
- Manual. New section for Campaign, unit and rule adjustments.
- Tutorial adjustments
First Class Support
Musket Smoke II inherits both from lessons learned from Musket Smoke as well as from hard core volunteers as well. A small team of dedicated people have contributed above and beyond the call of duty. Many of the features that you enjoy in Musket Smoke (and also Musket Smoke II) come from or have been thoroughly vetted by these awesome individuals.
Both - Musket Smoke and Musket Smoke II:
- Keith E. Carter (Tester, Technical Assistance, Bugs, Editing, Manual, Massive General Support)
- Armin Klaer (Tester, Bugs, Map Suggestions and Designs)
- David Malinsky (Ballads, Facebook, Marketing and Historical Research)
- Pace Nichvolodoff (Music)
- Dan Markin (Illustrator, Artistic Scenes, Map Backgrounds, Sound Effects and UI designs. MS2 inherits some of this. )
- Craig Nicholls (Maps, Usability, Cannon LOS, ZOC, Forum superstar, Bugs, Massive General Support)
- Bas Kreugar (Testing, Bugs, Historical, Artillery Support, Realism, Naarden Help)
- Don Martin (Testing, Bugs, Early Concept Help, Massive General Support)
Who am I?
Why do I need backing?
I personally funded the development of my first two iOS games and half of Musket Smoke II. There has been a lot of interest in taking the Musket Smoke engine and developing a single player game. I deeply believe in Musket Smoke II and so I wanted to give the game a chance to exist. So I pushed it as far as I could and prototyped the campaign. Add to that a small army of dedicated volunteers and much has been accomplished. However, there is still at least 3 to 4 months of full time work left. Unfortunately, I can no longer afford to personally fund Musket Smoke II to completion. Please help me get Musket Smoke published so I do not have to shelve it. It will be a blast to play!
Anything above the first 1 dollar reward automatically gives you:
- Scenario Editor! This will will not be available to the general public upon release.
- Exclusive Maps! The general public will NEVER be able to create matches with these maps. Only you can do that. Whoever you play will automatically get the map, but just for that one match.
- Backer Badge! Obviously only backers get these. There will be an option to turn them off if you like.
Risks and challenges
One risk is that the iPhone conversion of the Single Player Campaign could be more work than expected. The map menu screen specifically.
Likewise to properly program and test the AI Commanders coordinating and orchestrating troop actions will likely take substantial time to get just right. We want those AI Commanders to have different personalities and feel like we are playing someone. When an AI commander is taken out you really notice a change with the troops being more out for themselves at that point. Some commanders will be defensive, tricky (holding back units) so you think you are outnumbering them but then boom, you are surrounded and killed.) or just plain aggressive.
One major risk reduction is the scenario editor. This will counter any unexpected time lost with content creation and keep the project on track by making it easy to quickly pump out a lot of varied and interesting random battle scenarios for each of the different battle types.
It should comfort backers that there is currently two snowpunch games already in the App Store. Try downloading the original (free) Musket Smoke if you want to play around with what inspired Musket Smoke II.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (40 days)