About this project
I spent 44 days traveling Japan, not sure if headed for a vacation or if I went looking for myself. All I knew was that I wanted to feel something, even if nothing but loneliness would emerge.
So I went from Tokyo to Hiroshima, to Kumamoto, to Kagoshima and Okinawa and then back to Tokyo again. Always torn between me diving head first into walls of anonymity and cultural differences, the utter beauty of a heartwarming country with captivating encounters and then me trying to combine my inner thoughts with the outer reality.
As a result of that I took hundreds of photos, capturing what was around me, what was with me and what I felt was important to keep as information, as some sort of emotion or as something that struck me as most beautiful.
Max Weinland helped me turning these photos into a photo book that we would love for everyone to see and that’s where you are going to come into play: We’d love to get the printing going on this 18x24 cm sized, perfect bound, 164 page thick photo book. It’ll be offset printed on finest Munken Paper in Germany, in an edition of 500 copies and therefore we’d want your money.
WHO IS WE –
Hello, my name is Charlotte, I’m a photographer currently based in Hamburg, Germany. I do a lot of editorial work or commissioned books (maybe you’ve helped fund „Makers Of East London“ where I did the photography) – I also do like to chase light reflections wherever I am in the world and make new friends over a drink or two.
This book is my first book that’s purely and solely me, all my heart’s in there and I’d love for it to hit the shelves (yours!). I’d be incredibly happy if you’d help making that happen.
And then there’s Max – hello Max! He’s a graphic designer, also based in Hamburg, working on all sorts of pretty darn cool stuff. (Maybe you’ve helped fund the last issue of MC1R magazine where he designed it all) – He loves Pho, which is not Japanese but still very delicious and gets his heartbeat up by talking about typography.
He’s been the biggest help in making this book. He’d love to get this project funded because that means I can buy him a bottle of really good Japanese Whisky and also because it means it would hit the shelves (yours!).
WHY SHOULD I GIVE YOU MONEY AND WHAT DO I GET?
Fair enough. –
- Because you have either known us or our work for a while and you’ve enjoyed it.
- Because you’re a lover of photo books and this one would be a great addition to your collection.
- Because you’ve traveled Japan and this book will help you to dive right back into your best memories.
- Because you’ve never traveled Japan and this book will help you to soak up the feel of a country that you’ve been longing for.
- Because we kindly ask you to help us bring this one to life.
Every pledge will get you a copy of the book –
- if you’re an early bird, you’ll get the book for 15 € (first come first serve to 15)
- The regular book will be 25 €
- A copy of the book and a set of 3 postcards will cost you 30 € (limited to 100)
- A copy of the book with your name as a supporter in it will cost you 50 € (limited to 20)
- A copy of the book and a 18x24 cm print on Hahnemühle paper will cost you 70 € (limited to 10, that means first come first serve)
- And in case you fancy the deluxe package: there’s going to be a copy of the book with your name as a supporter and a 18x24cm print on Hahnemühle paper for the cost of 100 € (limited to 5)
- In response to a strong demand we added another deluxe reward and called it deluxe deluxe: there’s going to be a copy of the book with your name as a supporter and a 18x24cm print on Hahnemühle paper for the cost of 100 € (limited to 10)
They for sure will all come with love and gratitude on top.
We aim for 7500 € which will solely cover the costs of printing, packaging, all the Kickstarter and transaction fees and the mentioned bottle of japanese Whisky for Max.
Risks and challenges
Kickstarter is based on trust and we sure appreciate you considering giving us yours. We’ve been working as freelancer in the creative business for years now, we know how to get things done and we’re certain we will be capable to bring this one to life as well. We also have been putting a lot of effort and late nights into this already to make sure you’ll receive a book that you’ll love.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)