UPDATE! WHO IS BOOKED TO PLAY DRUMS ON THIS RECORD!?!
Confirmed drummers/percussionists are: Oran Canfield, Russell Greenberg, John McLellan, Bobby Previte, Mike Pride, Ches Smith & Tyshawn Sorey.
Only 4 words needed: HISTORIC MEETING OF MODERN PERCUSSIONIST IMPROVISORS/COMPOSERS!!!!!!!
HELLO! I am Mike Pride (www.mikepride.com).
I am a composer, educator & drummer, working primarily in the fields of jazz/improvised music, studio "session" work, metal, RnB & percussive soundscapes. I live in Brooklyn, NY with my wife and 18 month old son.
Since 1998, I have produced over 20 albums of my own music and performed around the world, at festivals, and in clubs, in countless countries, on 4 continents. I have worked with jazz & new music ensembles, with my own avant-rock band, Dynamite Club, and with legendary punk-rock icons, MDC. I would never start a fund raising program, like this, unless it was absolutely necessary, and it is.
I am trying to raise $7077.00 to produce a top-quality recording of my composition, "DRUMMER's CORPSE", in August of 2012. In order to collect the funds raised, I have to meet that dollar amount, otherwise ALL contribution are for naught.
I composed Drummer's Corpse in 2005. It is a piece of cathartic sound-art. It is composed for 7 drum/percussion sets, 1 organ, 1 electric guitar, 1 floor tom & 3 vocalists/"exorcisers"/"shamans".
I have been performing Drummer's Corpse around the NYC area for 7 years now, and I am hoping to record it during the summer or 2012, the 7 year anniversary of its composition. Part of the "why-now?" is that my main collaborator on the piece, percussionist/vocalist/visual artist Fritz Welch (who now lives in Scotland with his family), will be in the US over the summer and we will be performing the piece 2 times (July 9th at Trash Bar, in Williamsburg, Brooklyn, and Saturday, July 28th at Big Sky Lab, in Brooklyn). The other "parts of why?" are: 1- it's an election year, and this piece has always been my form of political/social protest/celebration & healing. 2- I am getting older and the realities of performing this piece may prove daunting in coming years. THE TIME IS NOW.
Past performers have included:
- Vocalists/Performance Artists: Fritz Welch (Peeesseye), Mike Pride, Larissa Velez (Yackez), Marissa Perel, Brian Bellot, Ben Gerstein & Sam Mickens (The Dead Science, Ecstatic Showband & Revue).
- Guitarists: Chris Welcome, Charlie Looker (Extra Life) & Ben Greenberg (Zs, Hubble).
- Drummers: Michael Evans (God Is My Co-Pilot), Ian Antonio (Zs, Yarn/Wire), Marylise Frencheville (Vialka), Russell Greenberg (Yarn/Wire, Wet Ink Ensemble), Chuck Bettis (All-Scars, Measels Mumps & Rubella), Oran Canfield (Child Abuse), Ches Smith (Marc Ribot's Ceramic Dog, Xiu-Xiu), Brian Chase (Yeah Yeah Yeahs), Weasel Walter (Flying Luttenbachers, Cellular Chaos), Bill "Willis" Bowen, Andrya Ambro (Antonius Block, Talk Normal), John McLellan (Joe Maneri), Harris Eisenstadt (Yusef Lateef), Aaron Siegel (Anthony Braxton), Ben Gerstein (Craig Taborn, Joe Maneri), Alex Lambert (Multitudes), Andrew Drury (Jack Wright), Kevin Shea (Mostly Other People Do The Killing, Talibam!), Hank Shteamer (Stay F*cked), Jason Nazary (Little Women), Ryan Sawyer (Tall Firs, Thurston Moore, Jandek) & more!
- Harmonium/electronics: Jaime Fennelly (Peeesseye, Acid Birds)
The monies raised will go towards the following:
- $300 fee per musician (11 musicians to be paid, totalling $3300).
- Recording costs at highest quality NYC studio (hoping to get The Bunker, which runs at $75/hr.). Expecting this to come in at about $1000.
- $1000 to have Jamie Saft mix this most dense of recordings. Jamie is the world's premier mixing engineer, by many leaps. His work is unparalleled in its beauty, density and clarity. Hear my quartet album Mike Pride's FROM BACTERIA TO BOYS - Betweenwhile (2010 AUM Fidelity) for proof!
- $1000 to have the piece mastered at Scott Hull in NYC. Scott Hull is NYC's premier mastering house who has worked with everyone from Bruce Springstein to David Bowie, & Herbie Hancock (he also mastered the album "BANG BANG" by Kalashnikov (Mike Pride & Jamie Saft's duo improvised metal project)).
- Which leaves $777 overhead. Almost all of of this (about $710) goes to Amazon & Kickstarter for hosting/processing, when we meet our goal.
- WHEN I exceed that goal, I will commit to also recording another long form piece of music I composed, in memorium of the Manhattan Knitting Factory, entitled "Some Will Die Animals", for guitar (Chris Welcome), double bass (Eivind Opsvik), tom-toms & bass drums (Mike Pride), & 4 recitations (Marissa L Perel, Fritz Welch, Larissa Velez & Mike Pride). I will this on the Drummer's Corpse album. What a HUGE album THIS WILL BE!
Support this project
- (33 days)