We're launching this Kickstarter to fund our bi-monthly Letters from the Flaming Crab series for the year 2017. This series explores topics both strange and familiar to help you breathe life and magic into your campaigns.
Each Letter we hire a different crew of 3-4 writers to create a 15-20 page (~10,000 word) supplement. And each Letter's topic is as different as the last: strange weather, hygiene, magical food, haunts, dinosaur companions, and more!
Yep! Some of you may have noticed that we released a Letter every month in 2016. While this let us cover many topics, the most common feedback we received was, "This book is great! I just wish there was more!" To make this happen, we're increasing our average Letter by 25% in 2017!
We want to give you more, and we want to give you a more polished product. If we kept releasing Letters every month while increasing the word count, we would be cutting our deadlines way too close. With a bi-monthly schedule (February, April, June, August, October, December), we're able to spend more time editing and ensuring that we give each topic the coverage it deserves.
What topics are you covering in 2017?
- February: The Puppet Show (Captain Matherly)
- April: Gremlins (Captain Hall)
- June: Libraries and Research
- August: Imaginary Friends
- October: Religious Communities
- December: Dangerous Spores (Captain Shanks)
- 2-3 Personal Letters (topics and dates to be announced)
We printed a test proof of every Letter from Winged Cavalry to County Faire. We love the way it looks and are offering two print compilations as rewards!
The first compilation will be 2015-2016 Letters: every Letter from Winged Cavalry to Ioun Stones (including Murder Bunnies and the two other upcoming bonus Letters)! At-cost print vouchers will be sent out after we receive a test proof that we're happy with, likely February 2017.
Estimated Cost of Standard Color Softcover: $8 - $10 + shipping
Estimated Cost of Premium Color Softcover: $22 - $27 + shipping
The second compilation will be 2017 Letters: every Letter to be released in 2017. At-cost print vouchers are estimated to be sent out by February 2018.
Estimated Cost of Standard Color Softcover: $6 - $8 + shipping
Estimated Cost of Premium Color Softcover: $12 - $16 + shipping
At the end of the Kickstarter, we will send out a survey asking for your desired format. Note: you will need a DriveThruRPG/RPGNow account to receive a print voucher.
( ) $2,500: Add several commissioned line art pieces to each Letter
( ) $3,000: Writer pay increased by 50%
( ) $4,000: Word count increased by 25%
( ) $5,000: Writer pay increased by another 50%
Any extra money will go towards art, editors, and/or potential Bonus Letters. (for example, if we make $2,550; we will spend an extra $50 on editors)
Shipmates of the Flaming Crab
In the Grand Multiverse, there have been many a ship that has sailed under the name The Flaming Crab. Listed below are the current and former crew of The USS Flaming Crab of Earth Prime (as of September 2016).
Captain: Alex Abel
First Mate/Navigator: J Gray
Chief Engineer/Illustrator: Allen Morris
Medical Officers/Editors: Troy Daniels, J.E.M., Lucus Palossari, Michael Ritter, Jeff Swank, Isaiah Burt, Stephanie Gray, Lindsey Shanks, Jeff Schwartz
Captains for a Month: Lukas Buergi (Hygiene), Adam Matherly (Inspired by Heraldry), Lindsey Shanks (Dinosaur Companions), and Joshua Root (The World Tree)
Quartermasters/Navigators for a Month: Tanya Evans and Troy Daniels (County Faire); Alex Coley and Harvey Howell (Household Magic)
Personal Letters written to Jacqueline Shanks and Yuri Clovershid (both super secret bonus Letters coming out later this year!)
- Winged Cavalry: Jeff Gomez, Thiago Rose Shinken, Anthony Torretti
- Culinary Magic: David S McCrae, Angel "ARMR" Miranda
- Haunted Places: June Bordas, Mike McKeown, Michael Ritter
- Wheel of the Year: JJ Jordan, Nate Love, Lucus Palosaari
- Iconic Princesses: June Bordas, Troy Daniels, Lindsey Shanks, Steven Lloyd Wilson
- Here There Be (tiny) Dragons: Jennifer R. Povey, Margherita Tramontano, CJ Withers
- Her Story: June Bordas, Jennifer R. Povey, Lindsey Shanks, Margherita Tramontano
- Coins & Credit: Matthew Carroll, Lucus Palosaari, Jeffrey Swank
- Hygiene: Scott Fernandez, J Gray, Rodney Sloan, Margherita Tramontano
- County Faire: J Gray, N. Jolly, Lucus Palosaari, Kelly Pawlik, Maria Smolina
- Inspired by Heraldry: Jeff Lee, Neal Litherland, Michael McCarthy, Anthony Torretti
- Strange Weather: Jeff Gomez, Michael Ritter, Treyson Sanders, J Gray
- Dinosaur Companions: Kelly Pawlik, Angel "ARMR" Miranda, Margherita Tramontano
- Household Magic: Alex Abel (Picard had a red shirt!), Phoebe Harris, Kelly Pawlik, Kendra Leigh Speedling
Risks and challenges
We're currently finishing up the Archetype Compendium. Different writers are working on that book than the Letters. And the book should be finished by 2017.
We're commissioning 15-20 writers over the course of 2017. A couple of these writers may be unable to complete their assignments for any number of reasons (school, family, sickness, etc.). When this issue has come up in the past, we have been able to find replacement writers in less than a week.
We haven't missed a deadline in 2016. We're confident that we won't miss any in 2017.
- (30 days)