STRUGGLE FOR EUROPE 1939 – 1945 is a card driven, card destruction game on a large game board. Modifying concepts from LINCOLN, TWILIGHT STRUGGLE, and others. Gamers will be able to play World War II in Europe in under 2 hours.
The Axis powers begin the war with decisions to be made, strike east or strike west. The cards show the Axis strength early in the war. Things can change quickly. Your decisions can determine that.
As the Allies, do you stiffen your defense as was done historically, or consider a strike into Germany. With skillful play you may find allies as the war progresses. The Russians can enter early, or later, based on your and the Axis card play. Same for the Americans.
Each card leads to important decisions, U-Boat Attacks, The Blitz, Partisan Attacks, Convoys, The Great Commanders, Destroyer Escorts, Hitler's Interference, and more. The decisions are yours to make in the STRUGGLE FOR EUROPE.
- 2 sets of Game Rules
- Large Mounted Game Board
- 60 + Axis cards
- 80 + Allied Cards
- Axis Counter Sheet (with army and wall units)
- The following Allied Counter Sheets:
- American Counter Sheet
- British Counter Sheet
- Russian Counter Sheet
- Game Markers (wooden cubes)
CLICK ON PLAY BELOW TO WATCH A 3 MINUTE VIDEO ON BASIC GAME PLAY
FOR A GRAPHIC DETAIL OF HOW TO PLAY GO TO THE BOTTOM OF THE PAGE
SEQUENCE OF PLAY
Each side has three card decks. The starting deck is placed face down and is the draw deck for that player. The other two decks will enter the game later. For the Allied player the Russians enter play with the second deck, and the Americans with the third deck.
Players are dealt cards, the number which can vary during the game. During their turns players can play two actions, most of which require the play or destruction of a card. The choices are:
- Build an army / Influence USA / Build Invasion Points
- Move an army
- Battle in a contested location
- Discard cards
- Play an event
After completing their two actions, they draw cards from the draw deck to their current hand size. Their opponent now completes two actions, and so on.
The game board shows important locations in Europe. Each location is split in two by a line. A location is either friendly, contested, neutral, or enemy controlled.
Grey and blue lines allows movement and attacks between locations. Victory locations are denoted by flags. The USA and Russia Track determine the possible early entry of USA and Russia into the game.
HOW CARDS WORK
1 – Shuffle Number is when the deck is shuffled in with the discard pile creating a new draw deck.
- 2 – Event is played as an action.
- 3 – Event Description explains what the player does when playing the event as an action.
- 4 – Move allows the move of armies from one location along move lines.
- 5 – Air Power allows the card to be played in battle to add to the strength of armies.
- 6 – Unit Build allows one of the units shown to be built. Also, each player may Build Up for Invasion, USA Influence, or for the Axis player build a wall.
- 7 – Card Cost for Unit Build is the number of cards the player must place in the discard pile from his card hand to play the card for the Build action.
Cards discarded are reshuffled with the next deck when the current draw deck runs out. Cards destroyed are permanently removed from play and not reshuffled.
HOW THE GAME BOARD WORKS
- 1 – Defense Number is added to the strength of any army that defends the location by an attack along that move line.
- 2 – Location name is the identifier for that location.
- 3 – Move Line (Invasion blue line) – A player must spend invasion points and play a move card to move to an enemy controlled location along the blue line.
- 4 – Initial Location Control Color shows which player starts the game with control of that location. Locations are either Allied (blue or red), Axis (grey), or Tan (neutral).
- 5- Victory Locations are flagged locations that determine victory.
- 6 – Move Line allow players to move between locations by the play of a move card or event card allowing movement.
HOW THE COUNTERS WORK
- 1 - 1 Strength Armies are placed by the play of a Build Army Action. Cards played to build 1 strength armies are placed in the discard pile and return later in the game.
- 2 and 3 - 2 and 3 Strength Armies are placed by the play of a Build Army Action. Cards played to build these armies are permanently removed from the game.
- 4 - US Influence cards move the US Influence marker up or down on the track. Cards played for US Influence are permanently removed from the game.
- 5 - Invasion Build Up cards move that player up on the Invasion Build Up track. The Invasion Build Up card is permanently removed from play.
- 6 – Build Wall cards are played by the Axis player to build wall counters in Axis controlled locations. The Build Wall card is permanently removed from play.
To add on any of the following games, add the cost of the add on games to your package price. The add on games will not ship until the Kickstarter pledge ships. Be sure to check out THE STRATEGIC 6 GAME PACKAGE and THE GRAND ULTIMATE PACKAGE for the best savings deal. No extra shipping cost when adding on:
Due to the confusion with Brexit and changing shipping within Europe this Project is not EU “friendly”. However, in our effort to offer worldwide friendly shipping we have reduced worldwide shipping prices to just barely above domestic shipping in the USA. We are setting world wide shipping prices for this campaign at $10 for single copy USA shipping and just $12 world wide shipping.
We value our worldwide customers and are hoping this reduces (and offsets by reducing the shipping) any customs fees or charges.
Risks and challenges
Worthington has completed over 25 kickstarter campaigns. We have been in business for 14 years now and have produced over 50 games. The biggest challenge faced is always in dealing with the printer and shipping. Delays can occur and always being up front with customers and letting them know what is going on is critical.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (28 days)