What is Street Bocce?
Throwing balls toward a target is the oldest game known to mankind, and it just got better. Street Bocce is a modified version of the ball sport, Bocce, a game that dates back to the Roman Empire and continues to be played all around the world. It is typically played on custom courts, grass yards, or sand. Street Bocce, on the other hand, allows you to play Bocce on any hard surface you like. The court playing area is controlled by Street Bocce backboards, which are designed to collapse for easy transportation and enhanced storage capabilities. The custom Street Bocce balls won’t roll away and are designed to support skill, not luck. If you love Bocce, competition, and can choose a partner wisely, we highly recommend you 'back' Street Bocce today with a simple pledge.
New Street Bocce Balls:
After testing out dozens of combinations of fabric, filling, and exterior design we’ve come up with a new high quality ball perfect for playing Bocce on the street.
The three main highlights:
- Durability: Our spandex/lycra material gives the balls up to a 4x longer life than leather fabrics.
- Density: Balls are filled completely with 100% recycled plastic beads so that they keep their shape while in your hand or while rolled on the street. They are sturdy enough to bounce off each other yet, soft enough to NOT roll on forever.
- Design: Sometimes less is more. After hearing from you at parties, tailgates, and via email/kickstarter messages, we've decided to go with just two colors (four red balls and four black balls). Each color has two different seam designs within it (four panels and two panels) to allow four groups to play with two balls each.
NEW Ball Bag:
Easy to carry and store, this bag holds an entire Street Bocce ball set and can be used in combination with the canvas bag for added organization. It will be included in all existing orders, both ball and full set reward options.
How do you play?
The rules for Street Bocce are not that different from standard bocce, and so the following is a brief overview of the set up, scoring, and how to adapt your SB set for even more (personalized) entertainment.
Set up: Place two Street Bocce backboards 12 feet (about two parking spaces) apart depending on skill level. Divide players into two teams of 1-2 people each. Each team chooses two colors (4 balls per team). To start, 2 players of opposing teams stand together behind each backboard, and face the opposite backboard (or teammate if playing 2 vs. 2) across the court.
Goal of the Game: Get your balls closest to the Jack and be the first team to reach 21 points.
Players: 2 – 4 people, ages 4 & above.
- Version 1: 2 players, 1 vs. 1
- Version 2: 4 players, 2 vs. 2
- Version 3: Anything goes (Guest shots always welcome)
1. Player 1 (from winning team of previous round) throws the Jack from behind the backboard towards/into the other backboard court.
2. Player 1 throws a target ball as close as possible to the Jack (unless you have another strategy…).
3. The opponent on the same side as Player 1, Player 2, throws their target ball.
4. The player whose ball is farthest from the Jack throws a target ball next.
5. Players 1 and 2 repeat step 4 until no balls are left.
6. Add points (see scoring).
Players on the other side of the court play next (If playing version 1, both players travel together to the opposite backboard). Winner throws Jack.
Scoring: 6 points are distributed for each round, depending on which player/team is closest to the Jack.
- 3 points = target ball closest to Jack
- 2 points = second closest
- 1 point = third closest
Winning: First team to 21 points wins.
Cheating: Change the rules to highlight your particular skills instead! Rules are meant to be broken, and so we encourage Street Bocce enthusiasts to adapt and play however they want to play!
HAVE FUN! Put down the smart phone, tablet, or computer get out of your chair and have a good time competing with your friends! We know we have!
Who are we?
We are three friends from college who love to compete and have a good time. We all grew up playing Bocce with our families in grassy yards and on custom courts in nearby parks. During college we enjoyed playing cornhole and ladder golf before sporting events and concerts. Now out of college, we decided it was time to tailgate with the game we’ve always loved. We quickly learned that traditional Bocce simply wouldn’t work on a parking lot. After dozens of prototypes and months of tweaking and testing, we have finally come up with our Street Bocce prototype that we want to share with you.
How are the sets made?
We are proud to say that we hand make the Street Bocce backboards in our facilities in York, Pennsylvania. Backboards are currently built with 4x4’s of hemlock fir wood – one of the most environmentally friendly woods on the market. After cutting, sanding, routing, and applying a layer of finish/paint, we use hinges and clips to connect the wood pieces together. Although we don’t have the resources to manufacture the custom Street Bocce balls, we’ve worked with a manufacturer on our design and have suppliers ready to ship.
What are the Funds For?
Pledged funds go directly into manufacturing costs, including supplies, packaging, and an upgrade of tools needed to produce sets at a larger scale. We know we can make quality backboards, but we need your help getting our game up to scale. We consider ourselves lucky to be the first to recreate this classic game for the streets and even luckier to have found a way of sharing it with you. Help us get the supplies necessary to meet the Street Bocce demand!
- $5-Heartfelt thank you email (Retail: Priceless)
- $27-A one of a kind Street Bocce T-Shirt along with a personal thank you email.(Retail $30)
- $25-EARLY BIRD SPECIAL:Receive 8 Street Bocce Balls and a Jack for just $25. This option is limited to the first 25 backers, so act fast.
- $30-A set of 8 Street Bocce Balls and a Jack (Retail $34)
- $83-EARLY BIRD SPECIAL: Receive one full Street Bocce set for $83! This option is limited to the first 25 backers, so act fast.
- $88-You will get your very own FULL Street Bocce set. Comes with 2 back boards, 8 Street Bocce Balls and a Jack! (Retail $98)
- $109-Choose from 8 backboard color options (see bottom of the page). This FULL set comes with your choice of 2 colored backboards, 8 Street Bocce Balls and a Jack.(Retail $123)
Choose between the following 8 options. You can choose a different color for each backboard (2 in a set)
- $500-We will hand deliver you a Street Bocce set at a tailgate event of your choice. Offer is limited to tailgates before sports events in one of the following cities; DC, Philly, NY and Boston. Backers must be willing to take us on in a best of 3 match!
Risks and challenges
We’ve spent most of the year working with our suppliers and refining our process to mitigate as many risks as possible; however, we know there can still be hurdles along the way. We’ll always share updates with our community about challenges such as:
Ship date: we’ve built in extra time for the production and are confident we’ll ship by the estimated dates or before, but there is always a chance that things will take longer than planned. We will be as transparent as possible and will keep you informed every step of the way.
Product: As we refine Street Bocce, slight changes may be made. We will be diligent in making sure that everything is done to the highest quality standards.
Supplier coordination: We work with a number of different suppliers to source the best materials for Street Bocce sets and ensure the product is created correctly. Each supplier has its own challenges, which may affect us as a result.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)