Omninox - teacher grading time from hours into minutes
Omninox - teacher grading time from hours into minutes
With the help of this software, teachers can assign and grade homework automatically in just a few clicks
With the help of this software, teachers can assign and grade homework automatically in just a few clicks Read more
Teachers today are too busy! They spend a lot of time planning their class. This is a creative process that many teachers enjoy. However, they also spend hours per week grading, which can be very tedious. It's also necessary because grading student assignments helps teachers understand where their students' strengths and weaknesses are.
About the Solution
If much of the time that teachers spend grading and creating assignments could be freed up, imagine what kind of opportunities teachers would then have! They could spend more time with their students to engage them on a personal level. They could spend more time with their families or friends so they could feel recharged for the next school day. They could spend more time helping struggling students reach their full potential.
Our software can reduce teacher grading time by as much as 85%! Teachers will also have a place where they can create and share questions for their assignments. The online platform will have the following features demonstrated in the video:
1) Data and content breakdown by topic area - All data and content will be broken down by topic area. New topic areas can be easily added to a question. Detailed breakdown of student performance by which topic areas they have the most trouble with.
2) Simple question creation and quality assurance - Teachers can easily create and share questions with the community, with LaTeX support for math and science equations. The community can up or down vote these questions to source high quality content.
3) Simple classroom management - Ability to add a classroom and students, integration with Edmodo, and the ability to assign homework to a class.
Use of Funds
Specifically, the funds from this campaign will support content licensing fees. All funds that exceed the goal will be used to create a larger, more engaged community of teachers and students. If the campaign exceeds its goal by more than threefold, the team will hire freelance help.
Progress to Date
The reasons our team is the best team to execute on this project is because we have already made important milestones in making this come to life, including:
1) LOTS of content - Our team already has the rights to thousands of multiple choice questions across 14 different AP subjects. Many of these questions are created by members of our team with previous tutoring experience. Then, they were edited and refined over time. The rest of these questions are licensed from a billion-dollar education publisher.
2) Talented software developers - Two out of three founders at Omninox are very proficient in web programming. Our advisors also have experience being educators. You can see examples of what the team has built in the video, so there already is a strong development team already in place.
3) Strong support network - Our team has built a support network of teachers, students, advisors and investors who are excited about our vision. With their help, we have moved many steps closer to solving challenges that teachers and students face today. We will continue to grow and listen to this network moving forward. You can be a part of this network!
Although the demo highlighted here is a great start, there will still be quite a bit of work to be done after it is launched. Here are some of the things we have planned and how you can be a part of this project's evolution.
1) New features based on teacher feedback - The solution highlighted in this campaign is the bare minimum that will be shipped with the funds from the Kickstarter campaign. As the project evolves, our team will strive to add helpful features suggested by teachers while maintaining the simplicity and ease of use of the software.
2) Interoperability - Our team will integrate this solution with existing tools already being used in the classroom, including Google Classroom, Edmodo, and various Learning Management Systems. Interoperability will also extend to the website looking beautiful across 99% of devices rather than just the latest browsers.
3) Security - Currently, all data is collected anonymously and securely stored behind a government-level secure network. Once the platform has more users, we have to start storing this data offsite so that the website can be faster. Although all information is collected anonymously and stored securely, there may still be some challenges in ensuring that no data breaches occur.
4) Rigorous Content - The word "rigorous" is thrown around quite a bit these days, but the questions on the Omninox platform will ultimately be created by teachers and up voted or down voted by other teachers. This will ensure that the questions are both challenging and reflect the latest standards.
5) Even MORE granular data - Although the product will support topic area breakdown by March 2016, we hope to have support for even more granular data ready by the 2016 -2017 school year. This includes identifying questions that promote higher order thinking, question difficulty, among other helpful categories.
Risks and challenges
One challenge about on-time delivery is unexpected bugs that may arise. A double-edged sword about programming a software like this is that it may take only a few minutes to implement the most beautiful features, but the smallest thing can stump a programmer for days. One thing about our team that helps is that we work together with at least 3 people who can provide a second and third opinion on someone's code.
In case we expect certain features to be delayed in order for the product to be consumer-ready, we will notify all of our Kickstarter backers. Since beta access is part of most packages, all backers that choose one of these packages will get an inside look and see exactly how much is being accomplished every few weeks.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)