I am creating programmable Bluetooth controlled CDIs for the XR650L and XR650R. After personally selling over 150 non-programmable CDIs I am sure there is steady demand for the OEM unit but the purpose of this Kickstarter is to bring to market a new product that will render previous models obsolete. These new units plug directly into the wiring harness in place of the old CDI and require no wiring modifications.
Existing programmable CDIs for Honda's XR650R and XR650L are limited and overpriced. For example, Tokyomods 10 Map Ignition System sells for $599 plus shipping.
These CDIs allow for the control of the ignition timing curve and RPM limiter via iOS and Android apps. The app will display data like an RPM meter / tachometer and will include features like savable favorite ignition mappings.
The manufacturer that I sourced has current ISO9001, ISO/TS16949, and ISO/TS16949 certifications and has been great at communication. My most recent shipment took only six days to ship after receipt of funds. They do testing on-site and I back that up with testing of my own for a higher level of quality assurance.
The hardware aspect of this project is straightforward; the prototype is a previous-version CDI with the addition a Bluetooth module and microcontroller. The Bluetooth module that I used has proven excellent and will be used in the finished product. I have already sourced a supplier that has competitive prices even at small order sizes.
The software aspect is substantial but also straightforward. Both iOS and Android have full Bluetooth frameworks. I'll write the iOS app and then learn enough Android development to port the app to that platform.
The funding goal is sufficient to cover previous R&D purchases (Bluetooth module evaluation board, Android tablet), hardware purchases and manufacturing costs for the initial CDIs.
Future projects include additional motorcycle models and additional Bluetooth-enabled sensors such as fuel level and oil temperature. Use the "Contact me" button to request a specific motorcycle model for future campaigns.
- Write prototype iOS app that communicates with Bluetooth module development kit
- Create spark curve mappings
- Polish iOS app
- Manufacturer produces pre-production CDI with Bluetooth module
- Port app to Android
- First full production run at manufacturer
- Submit iOS app to Apple for approval
- Submit Android app to Google for approval
- Second full production run at manufacturer
- Ship to Early Bird customers
- Ship to Standard customers
Risks and challenges
1. Android app - Francisco's mobile app past experience is limited to iOS. But the Android platform includes full support for the Bluetooth network stack so writing the port to Android should be straightforward.
2. iOS app - Should be a non-issue. Francisco is an experienced iOS developer and Apple's Core Bluetooth framework is well documented.
3. Hardware production delays - Unlikely based on the manufacturer's fulfillment history. For example, a CDI order placed on February 18th shipped out on February 24th.
4. Manufacturer XR650R experience - They've manufactured tons of XR650L, XL600V, and other Honda CDIs but none for the XR650R. I'll send them a stock unit and they'll know exactly what to do. It shouldn't be an issue but I want to address it here.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (19 days)