You can’t turn back the clock, but you can wind it up again. Starring Blythe Danner and Martin Starr. Read more
This project was successfully funded on February 4, 2014.
About this project
I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS tells the story of Carol (Blythe Danner), a widow in her 70s, who is struggling to find purpose and make sense of her increasingly isolated life in the "twilight" years. After the death of her dog rattles her routine, she decides to start dating again, and falls into relationships with two very different men -- the senior, exuberant Bill, who embraces life in the moment, and her younger pool cleaner, Lloyd (Martin Starr), who is struggling to find his purpose, much like Carol. Through these new relationships, Carol confronts her fears about love, family, aging, and death and is forced to adopt a new outlook as she comes to terms with this new phase of her life.
I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS is a deceptively small story, but it asks big questions. The setting, characters, and honest, human approach make this a surprising and unique film. This is not an "old person" movie. It's a movie about people who happen to be "old."
BLYTHE DANNER as CAROL
Credits include: THE LUCKY ONE, HELLO I MUST BE GOING, WHAT’S YOUR NUMBER, LITTLE FOCKERS, WAITING FOR FOREVER, THE LIGHTKEEPERS, THE SISTERHOOD OF THE TRAVELING PANTS 2, MEET THE PARENTS, THE LOVE LETTER, FORCES OF NATURE, THE X FILES, THE PRINCE OF TIDES, BRIGHTON BEACH MEMOIRS
MARTIN STARR as LLOYD
Credits include: PARTY DOWN, VERONICA MARS, THIS IS THE END, DEEP DARK CANYON, THE LIFEGUARD, SAVE THE DATE, 6 MONTH RULE, A GOOD OLD FASHIONED ORGY, THE INVENTION OF LYING, ADVENTURELAND, THE INCREDIBLE HULK, GOOD DICK, WALK HARD: THE DEWEY COX STORY, SUPERBAD, KNOCKED UP, KICKING & SCREAMING, FREAKS AND GEEKS
I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS is an independent feature film written by Brett Haley and Marc Basch. The funds raised on Kickstarter will complete our production financing, allowing us to begin shooting in March 2014.
The team behind I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS has made feature films with budgets ranging as low as $6,000 and as high as $2,000,000. We're confident that this will be a film with creative integrity and high production value, and have taken the steps necessary to ensure that happens.
The film will be shot entirely in Los Angeles over 18 days to take advantage of top tier cast and crew without incurring the expense of travel. Many of the crew participating in the project will be alumni and fellow classmates of Brett Haley and Rebecca Green, who attended the University of the North Carolina School of the Arts, one of the premiere film schools in the country. These friends are highly skilled and willing to share their talents because of their dedication to the filmmakers and belief in the project.
BRETT HALEY (Co-Writer/Director)
Brett Haley grew up in Key West and Pensacola, Florida and graduated with a B.F.A. in Film Directing from the University of North Carolina School of the Arts in 2005. Brett co-wrote, edited and directed the indie feature film THE NEW YEAR, which screened in over 20 film festivals, including the Los Angeles Film Festival. It won the Audience Award for Best Narrative Feature at the Sarasota Film Festival and was a Critic’s Pick in The Village Voice and LA Weekly. The film is 100% 'fresh' on www.RottenTomatoes.com. The New York Times said of the film, "Out of raw materials, convincing 20-something dialogue, deft montages of night life, bowling, parties, the beachside setting - the director-screenwriter Brett Haley has built an encouraging feature film debut." It was theatrically released in NY, LA and Florida before finding digital distribution.
REBECCA GREEN (Producer)
Rebecca Green is currently in post-production on the feature film IT FOLLOWS, written and directed by David Robert Mitchell, whose debut feature, THE MYTH OF THE AMERICAN SLEEPOVER, premiered at SXSW and went on to screen at the Cannes Film Festival. Previously, Rebecca was the Manager of Producing Initiatives for the Sundance Institute for three years and who was chosen to participate in the 2012 Film Independent Producing Lab. Rebecca worked at Paramount Pictures as Vice President of Lynda Obst Productions and spent four years at Lionsgate. Rebecca has also worked for the Sundance and Los Angeles film festivals and has spoken on panels for organizations such as USC, UCLA, IFP, and Film Independent.
LAURA D. SMITH (Producer)
Laura Smith is currently in post-production on the feature films IT FOLLOWS, with filmmaker David Robert Mitchell, and VICTOR, with filmmaker Brandon Dickerson. In addition, she is finishing two documentary features: HOLBROOK/TWAIN: AN AMERICAN ODYSSEY, an inside look at actor Hal Holbrook and his famed one-man stage show "Mark Twain Tonight!," and A SINGLE FRAME, an exploratory journey to find a refugee boy depicted in a photograph taken during the 1998 Kosovo conflict. Laura previously produced the award-winning feature films THAT EVENING SUN and SIRONIA, and was selected to participate in the 2012 Film Independent Producing Lab. She is also Co-Producer and Associate Producer on many notable independents. Laura began her filmmaking career working under award-winning filmmakers Andrew Niccol (LORD OF WAR, GATTACA) and Paul Thomas Anderson (THERE WILL BE BLOOD, MAGNOLIA). Laura received her undergraduate degree from U.C.L.A. with a major in Communications and a specialization in Business & Administration.
Risks and challenges
Artistic endeavors are challenging and risky for all involved.
As filmmakers, we put our stories and imagination out into the world for everyone to critique. Years of our lives are put into a single production, with grueling schedules and endless hurdles to navigate along the way.
As investors, financial contributions do not guarantee a quality finished product. It can be difficult to decide which project will benefit most from your contribution, honor your investment, and bring something to life that you're proud to support.
We feel a great degree of responsibility when we take someone's money, often times many people's money, to bring our stories to the screen. Inevitably we run into logistical challenges and unforeseen circumstances, but we pride ourselves in finding creative solutions to overcome these hurdles, upholding our highest expectations of ourselves and our films.
We pledge that we will act responsibly and take great care with every investment dollar committed to I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS. We're grateful for your willingness to join us on this journey.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
Pledge $5 or more
THANK YOU - Forget social media 'shout outs,' producers Rebecca Green and Laura Smith will mail you an old-fashioned, handwritten thank you note!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or more
- Receive a Spotify playlist from filmmaker Brett Haley featuring music that inspired the writing of his main character, Carol, who was once a singer, plus receive a handwritten thank you note from the producers.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $25 or more
STREAM THE FILM
- Receive a private stream of the completed film following our festival premiere, plus receive a handwritten thank you note from the producers.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or more
ALL OF THE ABOVE!Estimated delivery:
Pledge $75 or more
13 backers Limited (37 left of 50)
- Back in the day, studios made lobby cards to promote major releases, but sadly that practice has faded. Until now! Pledge $75 and receive a custom designed I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS lobby card for the film.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $100 or more
DEAL ME IN
- Perfect your bridge game (played by Carol and her friends) with a customized deck of I'LL SEE YOU IN MY DREAMS playing cards and also receive a 'Kickstarter Backer' credit in the end credits of the film.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $200 or more
7 backers Limited (23 left of 30)
ALL IN THE FAMILY
- One of the big themes in this film is family and Brett's family happens to include New York Times bestselling author Joshua Ferris! Receive a personalized autographed copy of the National Book Award nominee THEN WE CAME TO THE END plus a 'Kickstarter Backer' credit in the end credits of the film.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $250 or more
- Attend a sneak preview of the completed film in New York or Los Angeles prior to our festival premiere, plus receive a 'Kickstarter Backer' credit in the end credits of the film. (Travel and lodging not included)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $300 or more
1 backer Limited (2 left of 3)
- Our lead actor, Blythe Danner, has had an amazing career on Broadway and she is on stage now in the critically acclaimed play THE COMMONS OF PENSACOLA with Sarah Jessica Parker. If you choose this reward we'll send you a COMMONS OF PENSACOLA playbill autographed by Blythe Danner plus receive a 'Kickstarter Backer' credit in the end credits of the film.Estimated delivery:Ships anywhere in the world
Pledge $500 or more
FIX IT IN POST
- Attend your choice of an edit, sound mix, or color correction session in New York to see how a film comes together in post, plus receive a 'Kickstarter Backer' credit in the end credits of the film. (Travel and lodging not included)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or more
- Visit set for the day in Los Angeles, eat lunch with our filmmaker and actors, and see how the magic happens, plus receive a 'Kickstarter Backer' credit in the end credits of the film. (Travel and lodging not included)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,500 or more
- Invitation for you and a guest to attend the cast and crew wrap party in Los Angeles, plus receive a 'Kickstarter Backer' credit in the end credits of the film. (Travel and lodging not included)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5,000 or more
- Invitation for you and a guest to attend the celebrity premiere of the film (location TBD), plus receive a 'Kickstarter Backer' credit in the end credits of the film. (Travel and lodging not included)Estimated delivery:
Pledge $7,500 or more
- Host a private screening of the film in your home, event, school, or organization with a Q&A session with filmmaker Brett Haley (in-person or via Skype, depending on location of the event), plus receive a 'Kickstarter Backer' credit in the end credits of the film.Estimated delivery:
EXECUTIVE PRODUCER CREDIT
Receive an Executive Producer credit on the film in the main titles and two tickets to the celebrity premiere. (Travel and lodging not included)Estimated delivery:
- (25 days)