About this project
- "Brilliant!" – Rob Forbes, Founder Design Within Reach (DWR)
- WINNER: Best of Year: Accessories – Interior Design Magazine
- WINNER: Best in Show – DWR, Modern+Design+Function competition
- WINNER: Interior Design Magazine, Future Furniture competition
- "Get organized in style." – Los Angeles Times
- "We love the Cubby." – ApartmentTherapy
- "Another charming idea from Materious: the Cubby" – Inhabitat
- "The idea is for all people in a household to have their own space for what they put on or take off..." –Swiss Miss
- "The beauty of this clever....cubby hole is the ability to put them right near the front door for easy access." –Design Fun
Hey Kickstarters, thanks for taking a look and we hope that you will help us bring a great, award-winning product to market.
BASIC PLEDGE LEVELS
- 1 Cubby.............................$19 (Canada +$3, International +$8)
- 1 Cubby (signed)...............$25 (Canada +$3, International +$8)
- 3 Cubbies..........................$47 (Canada +$9, International +$25)
- 6 Cubbies (early-bird)........$79 (Canada +$15, International +$48)
- 6 Cubbies..........................$87 (Canada +$15, International +$48)
- Patron engraving...............$750 (includes 6 Cubbies, free shipping)
OUR PRODUCT...YOUR LIFE
• Ever misplace your keys or sunglasses?
• Do you live in a small space without an entry table or closet?
• Want your kids to have their own places to keep their hats and gloves
• Do you hate the "sweater dents" caused by traditional coat hooks?
• Want to keep your cell phone or sunglasses handy, but away from the kids?
• Or, do you just love innovative and cool-looking design?
Cubby is the ultimate anywhere hook that also allows you to store items like sunglasses, cellphones, wallets, spare change, and gloves.
Its large diameter won’t stretch out your collars and is big enough to securely hang purses and laptop bags. Cubby merges the nostalgia of a kindergarten cubby with a cool, modern form, putting a sophisticated adult spin on the kid classic.
They are great for entry-ways, mudrooms, pool rooms, garages, and kids' rooms. A single Cubby would look and work great on the wall in an office or dorm room, while a group of them is perfect for the whole family.
Parents and kids each have their own storage space, and Cubby can even be hung at different heights to accommodate the little ones.
MADE IN THE USA, REALLY
What's great about Kickstarter is its ability to help rejuvenate American manufacturing. It helps mitigate the risk of paying upfront for very expensive tooling, without knowing if you have a desirable product. We are committed to making this in the USA. A local Chicago plastics company is making the tooling and will be injection-molding the Cubbies. We have sourced our screws locally, and the wall anchors and screw head covers nationally.
RECYCLED MATERIAL + FULLY RECYCLABLE
We have been working with the manufacturer on the amount and type (pre- / post-consumer) of recycled content that we can effectively use. So we are working on it and will be updating as we make final determinations. But also, polypropylene is fully recyclable, and Cubby uses no other material combinations and can simply be placed in a recycle container for easy sorting and re-grinding.
HEY, WHERE'D MY MONEY GO?
- The bulk of the money will pay for the steel tooling for injection molding
- We need to pay for the manufacturer's minimum order quantity (MOQ)
- We have several patents pending on the Cubby product category, and we will continue the intellectual property protection process
- We will be developing packaging for future retail outlets
- Funding beyond our goal may allow for development and continued intellectual property protection of future Cubby products
Cubby is installed with just a single screw. The screw head is painted white so that it is less noticeable inside. We also include a white, adhesive-backed felt cover that will completely hide the screw head.
In addition to the screw and screw cover, a wall anchor is also included if Cubby is being mounted to drywall.
HI, I'M ISLA.
If you support my mommy and daddy at the $5 pledge amount, I will draw a thank-you note and email it to you. I may spell some words on it, but i am not so good at my uppercase "N"s, "M"s, or "S"s. But I am good at my "L"s, "O"s, and "D"s.
If you support my mommy and daddy at the $10 pledge amount, I will draw you a personal thank-you card and mail it to you anywhere in the whole wide world, like Florida and Virginia, where my grandparents live.
The back square portion is approximately 7"x7", and it extends approximately 6.5" from the wall. The opening is just over 3.5" and it is approximately 5.75" deep.
With each Cubby you will also receive one white-headed screw, one plastic wall anchor, and one adhesive-backed felt dot to fully cover the screw if desired.
Just select one of the pledges you want, then combine the value of every other reward you want. International orders must add all shipping charges.
We will send you a form when the funding is completed so you can reconfirm the exact combination and make sure everything is accurate.
If you wanted two 6-packs, you would select the $87 pledge level and enter $174 in the pledge amount (2 x $87).
If you LIVE IN CANADA, and wanted two 6-packs, you would select the $87 pledge level and enter $204 in the pledge amount [(2 x $87) + (2 x $15 shipping)].
If you LIVE IN FRANCE (for example), and wanted two 6-packs, you would select the $87 pledge level and enter $300 in the pledge amount [(2 x $87) + (2 x $48 shipping)]
Good question! We searched FedEx, UPS, DHL, and USPS, and chose the cheapest option--by far USPS is the winner. For example (one Cubby) a 1-pound box, 8"x8"x8", sent to Milan costs: $80.45 (DHL); $83.85 (UPS); $81.65 (FedEx); and $15.47 (USPS). We would rather have the better tracking of UPS, FedEx, and DHL, but not at a $60+ premium.
USPS (United States Postal Service). Since this is a gift for your pledge, the customs documents will be marked as "Gift". The value of the gift will be a low wholesale cost of the Cubby or Cubbies being shipped.
We searched FedEx, UPS, DHL, and USPS, and chose the cheapest option--by far USPS is the winner. For example (one Cubby) a 1-pound box, 8"x8"x8", sent to Milan costs: $80.45 (DHL); $83.85 (UPS); $81.65 (FedEx); and $15.47 (USPS). We would rather have the better tracking of UPS, FedEx, and DHL, but not at a $60+ premium.
Those are photos of Cubby in the entryway of our own home, and we love the functionality of being able to put an letter that we are going to mail out by the front door where we will see it on our way out.
This is possible because our walls are not necessarily flat and those Cubbies are solid prototypes with not so flat backs. So there is a slight gap. But these are fortuitous imperfections. This is such a great functionality that we are looking at how to create a small gap along part of the top edge that is just big enough for a business size envelope. We are committed to not having the gap visible when mounted at eye level. If we feel we can work in this functionality without taking away the aesthetic, then we will go for it. We will of course send out updates on this.
All of the Cubbies in the video are prototypes. They are all solid plastic and not hollow like our final version. The digital model seen on the computer in the video is what will be produced.
Support this project
- (45 days)