"Robin checked his children were safe, and his nest was still and quiet in the holly bush. It had been a long time since he had heard of the old Ash tree. But Robin knew he would have to help, or his old friends would lose their home..."
Robin came into being in the spring of 2013, a project dreamed up by two ambitious friends, and since then he has grown up into a brave, friendly bird with a story to tell. But we need your help to get Robin on his way in the big wide world.
Robin & his Birds is a series of beautifully-illustrated storybook apps for iPad, iPhone and Android, designed to engage and amuse children while also introducing them to the delights of the British countryside and wildlife. We use funny, complex characterisation and interaction to give children between 5 and 8 a world of stories to get their beaks into. Robin's Challenge, the first app in the series, is a story about friendship, bravery and home.
The first app is finished and will go on sale 1 May 2014 in the Appstore and on Google Play. However, for this series to have any success in the vast ocean of wonderful (and not-so-wonderful) apps out there, it will need a solid marketing effort and some investment to allow us to put more, better features into each new app. Our dream is for Robin & his Birds to capture a generation of young imaginations, the kind of series that kids of today will reminisce about for years to come. An ambitious dream, maybe, but with your help we just might do it.
With your support, we will put Robin & his Birds on the map. A concerted, successful marketing campaign is essential for wide exposure, and this will take up a large part of our budget. Target platforms include:
- Print media - local papers (Yorkshire Post, Manchester Evening News), magazines for children and parents, programmes for local events
- Social ad campaigns - Facebook, Google Adwords
- Online - websites such as mumsnet, momswithapps, netmums, kidspot
We also have the following basic costs:
- Louise's art materials - paper, brushes, paints
- Appstore and Google Play subscriptions
- Devices for testing (we desperately need a budget Android tablet)
- Website hosting
Many of the rewards we will be sending out in return for your pledges will act as marketing in their own right, and take up a certain amount of our budget as well.
Pledges & Rewards
In return for your support and involvement in this project, we've got lots of lovely Robin goodies to send you.
- See your name in lights: Your (and/or your child's) on our website as one of our generous sponsors.
- Join in the colouring: A downloadable colouring pack featuring Robin, Ruby and all the other characters from the first app.
- Get the app: Robin's Challenge (the first app in the series), either gifted to you (if you're on iPhone or iPad ) or emailed for you to load onto your Android phone or tablet. The app is available for iOS7, Android Ice Cream Sandwich (4.0), or Android Jelly Bean (4.1-4.3).
- In advance: Receive the next app in the series, one week before it goes on sale.
- Wear Robin: An exclusive hand-printed Robin t-shirt, for you or your child.
- Goodie bag: A hand-printed Robin tote bag containing crayons, stickers and a special Robin sketchpad so you can draw and write your own stories.
- Artwork: A beautiful print of the original artwork for the app, signed by the artist.
- Get in the picture: An original painting of you or your child, with Robin, by the artist.
Every pledge will receive its respective reward, plus all the rewards from all the pledges of lower value. Pledge the top amount, and get everything!
If, thanks to your kind pledges, we exceed our target, our dream would be to involve a famous voice to narrate the app. We have a list of celebrities who would make a brilliant addition to the app series, and to be able to afford any one of them would make our (and Robin's) year!
Risks and challenges
This app is a relatively risk-free proposition. We have worked incredibly hard over the past 8 months to bring this project to fruition, and Apple's acceptance of the app (first time round!) onto the Appstore has meant that this app will go on sale on 1 May 2014. However, without your help and support, Robin will simply float away in the vast sea of children's apps without reaching his readers. Our challenge is to have Robin's song heard - with your help, we can make that happen.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (16 days)