Ascension is my tribute to Epic/Immortal games in Dungeons & Dragons. I grew up pouring over and daydreaming about the gods and monsters that filled the pages of the 1st edition AD&D Deities and Demigods. It was not only one of the foundations of my introduction to Dungeons & Dragons but of mythology as well. The seeds planted by the pages of that book grew into a lifelong fascination with deities and mythology. Soon after I had been captivated by Deities and Demigods. I discovered the gloriously bizarre world of Frank Mentzer's Immortal Rules and realized we aren't limited to contemplating the lives of the gods - we could become them! My goal for Ascension is to bring the wonder and excitement I had for mythic gaming in the early '80s to the 5th edition of Dungeons & Dragons. Throw in a bit of flavor inspired by the 2nd edition's Legends and Lore/Monster Mythology and 3rd edition's Epic Level Handbook and we have the foundation for the definitive Immortals/Epic supplement for 5th edition!
Why Ascension? Ascension offers a new type of gaming for 5th edition Dungeons and Dragons. Current epic options simply extend the game through feats, boons, and levels; they don’t offer a fundamentally different way of playing the game. Ascension not only delivers epic equipment and monsters that can be used in a more traditional game, it also provides new rules and guidelines to extend the game into new spheres of play. With Ascension you can become gods and explore the multiverse with power and abilities beyond mortal comprehension. It is a 5th edition epic homage to Set 5: Immortal Rules!
Ascension will be a quarterly RPG zine (old-school black & white, 5.5 x 8.5) focusing on epic and immortal gaming for Dungeons and Dragons 5th Edition. Each issue will be 32-48 pages of epic and immortal goodness featuring: rules for playing gods; lore, stats, and art for at least 4 deities/epic monsters; and mythic relics and artifacts for your epic games. The primary goals of Ascension are two-fold:
- Provide epic monsters and guidelines that can be used with the standard 5th edition rules and some the existing 3rd party epic supplements.
- Provide a set of variant rules and guidelines for taking characters and monsters beyond the realms of mortals. Allowing players to grow their characters from mere demigods to the heights of the greater gods or even pantheon heads. These variant rules sit on top of the 5e chassis allowing players to shed the trapping of levels and class and instead embark on the quest to gain epic ranks, worship, and increase their Authority and Influence among mortals and Immortals a like.
Take your characters and games where 5th edition has never gone before with Ascension – the Codex of Immortals.
Is there anything for mere mortals?
Yes, there is! Though most of the content in Ascension is geared for epic gaming, there is content available for lower-tier games. Such as:
- Relics and Artifacts: The epic items are presented in a format that is usable by mortals and gods, with the power of the items increasing with the power of the wielder.
- Deities: Each deity entry has a section on its church and clergy. This section will include the typical classes of the clergy, cleric domains, extra spells granted, and sometimes new spells, class features, feats, or boons.
- Epic Monsters: Not all the monsters presented will be god-level threats. There will be monsters in the CR 21-30 range (including avatars of each god). That can still be a nuisance to a god and a real pain to mortals.
- Minions: There will be, on occasion, entries (lore, art, & stats) for servitors of the gods and other epic entities which are typically in the CR 10-20 range. For example, there will be lore, stats, and art for warden archons as the prime servitors of Sealtiel, the Defender.
Once funded and first issue completed, the zine will become available on DriveThruRPG and other outlets. Print versions will be available shortly after release of the PDF issue. Future issues will release at approximately three-month intervals. Backers get their copy of the PDF and print version at the discounted rate provided by the reward level chosen (included with your reward). When the zine goes to market, each issue will be $3.50 for the PDF and $7.00 for print.
Initiate ($3.00): Thank you for your support! You get the first issue of Ascension, The Codex of Immortals in PDF format
Temporal ($5.00): Thank you for your support! You get the first two issues of Ascension in PDF format.
Celestial ($10.00): Thank you for your support! You get the first year of Ascension (at least 4 issues) in PDF format.
High Celestial ($25.00): Thank you for your support! You get the first year of Ascension ( 4 issues) in PDF and print (5.5x8.5) format. Shipping is not included.
Empyreal ($30.00): Thank you for your support! You get everything in the Celestial tier, plus you can choose one epic relic or artifact to be featured in one of the first year’s issues of Ascension.
High Empyreal ($45.00): Thank you for your support! You get everything in the High Celestial tier, plus you can choose one epic relic or artifact to be featured in one of the first year’s issues of Ascension.
Eternal ($50.00): Thank you for your support! You get everything in the Celestial tier, plus you can choose a deity or epic monster to be featured in one of the first year’s issues of Ascension.
High Eternal ($65.00): Thank you for your support! You get everything in the High Celestial tier, plus you can choose a deity or epic monster to be featured in one of the first year’s issues of Ascension.
Hierarch ($500.00): Thank you for your support! You get everything in the Celestial tier, plus you can choose a pantheon, including up to six of the pantheon’s resident deities or epic monsters, to be featured in the first year of Ascension.
The timeline provide below is speculative and subject to change based on funding levels.
You can see the origins of Dave's (dave2008 on Enworld and Reddit UA) epic work (5e Epic Updates) on Enworld (http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?468639-5e-EPIC-MONSTER-UPDATES) or you can download it directly here: https://drive.google.com/open?id=11Q_RBb9pbre3be9wo3b3_h8xRIobqb28
Risks and challenges
This is our first Kickstarter and publishing project, so there may be unexpected issues that pop up and a serious illness to one of the primary contributors could delay delivery. However, we are dedicated to providing the first year of Ascension and meeting, or beating, our delivery schedule. The art and writing for issue one is purchased and 75% complete, just awaiting final editing and layout. Additionally, we have content for over 100 deities and epic monsters ready to go. That is enough for at least 4 years of the zine! We are confident we will be able to deliver a quality product to you on schedule.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)