About this project
"Rex Rocket Kickstarter looks pretty mega, man" - joystiq.com
"The shoot'n'scoot gameplay of Mega Man and Cave Story, mashed with the exploration and item upgrades found in Metroid" - nintendolife.com
"...One of the best parts about the gaming industry is the fact that there's nothing stopping two friends with an idea from keeping the types of games they've always loved alive." - indiegames.com
"I absolutely adore this type of game and I am always excited to see a new one spring up..." - armlessoctopus.com
"If you have a certain passion for great 8-bit games, and wanting more, then this could well fill that void..." - indieretronews.com
Inspired by the retro glory days of 8-bit games, Rex Rocket is a traditional 2D platformer brought into the 21st century. Paying tribute to
classic NES games like Mario, Mega Man, and Metroid, old-school gamers will find Rex Rocket a breath of fresh air, stirring warm and fuzzy feelings of nostalgia.
Rob and Tyler, two passionate indie game devs, have a mission to keep the world of retro games alive.
Rex Rocket features one-of-a-kind handmade pixel art, over 100 handcrafted levels connected in an expansive starship filled with a
wide variety of puzzles, enemies,
hazards and bosses.
To top it off, we have an an original, kick-ass chiptunes soundtrack by Saskrotch.
Creating this universe and the memorable characters in this game has been a true labor of love.
Set in Earth's distant future, Rex Rocket references the classic story of Man vs. Machine. You play as Captain Rex Rocket, a former war hero who now spends his days transporting scientists around to the far reaches of the universe in his epic Star Cruiser, the S.S. Montana. The game begins on Earth with Rex and crew on a routine mission for the Council of Science - to transplant bio-engineered Terra-Oozlings to an uninhabited planet in the far away solar system of Washington. While the ship's crew are in cryo-sleep, all heck breaks loose when Terra-Oozings escape their tanks and cause the ship's main computer, LAUREN (Logic Analysis User Reactive Entity Network), to go insane. It's up to Rex Rocket to stop the computer, rescue his crew, and save the day!
We will release Rex Rocket when we feel it's ready to be released. But if we had to guess when that would be... January 2014. With Kickstarter funding, we can invest more time and resources into the game's development and pump Rex Rocket to the max.
Rex Rocket is being developed with the XNA framework. We are 100% positive that the game will come out for PC. If it's called a platform then we want to stand on it! We are aiming to bring Rex Rocket to Macs, iOS Devices, Linux, XBLIG, Wii U, PS Vita, Nintendo 3DS and OUYA but we cannot guarantee them at this time.
- Gamepad Support
Classic 2D gameplay
- Fast, responsive combat
- Upgradable Jet pack
- Wall Jumps
- Regular Jumping! (DUHHH)
Guns, Guns, Guns!
- UP7A Standard Issue Blaster
- Tri-Bolt Laser Gun
- Magnum Missile Launcher
- and more...
- Remote Detonator
- Tons of hand-crafted levels
- Enemies, Hazards, and Bosses
- Interesting and challenging puzzles
- Epic plotline and lovable characters
- Secret areas and collectables
We love Kickstarter. We have from the beginning. It continues today to be one of our favorite
ideas of the last decade. A system that allows for crowd-funded projects to come to life is an amazing
step forward into a more open and free world. Making this game has been a dream. The idea
that people out there could be wearing Rex Rocket t-shirts and hanging posters on their walls —
there is really no way we would have the opportunity to do this without Kickstarter. Rob has
a full-time job and Tyler is a full-time student. We have been working on Rex Rocket during the
evenings and weekends and any spare time we can find. Starting this summer we want to focus our maximum energy on the game.
It will be the difference between the game coming out at the end of this
year and the game coming out at the end of next year. With your help we can do it. Tyler can avoid
picking up contract jobs all summer and Rob will drop all freelance jobs to focus 100% of his free time. We're asking for the support of Kickstarter
to cover this.
The basic breakdown is as follows:
- $500 - Provide financial assistance to Nigel to cover running expenses.
- $600 - Failed pledges / Kickstarter / Amazon (approx 10%)
- $600 - Producing physical rewards (approx 10%)
- $800 - Licensing fees
- $1,750 - Support Tyler over the summer so he can avoid contract jobs and work full time on Rex Rocket for four months.
- $1,750 - Support Rob while he drops all freelance work and focuses all his free time on Rex Rocket as well.
Give us a vote on GreenLight!
Keep up with transmissions from space on Facebook!
Even without reaching these goals we will still continue to work on bringing Rex Rocket to the following platforms - but with these goals met, we can guarantee them.
As I'm sure you've heard, we've completed construction of our new Star Cruiser, the S.S. Montana. You all deserve a round of applause for your fundraising efforts.
We still have a few weeks before our maiden voyage (beta)- and what a sight she will be! Until then, we've decided to open funding once again to enhance our ship's facilities and increase transport routes. Our new goals are listed below:
• $9,000 - New transport destination: Mac
• $10,000 - The ship's sonic technician, Saskrotch, will re-write the background music you hear over the PA system, specifically for eons-old technology- he has informed me these relics were called the NES, Game Boy, Genesis, and SNES- and transmit a digital recording to backers at ANY level.
• $ 11,000 - New transport destination: Linux - Any cadet pledging more than $10 may submit data to be stored in the information nodes throughout the ship.
• $ 12,000 - A special scenario will be uploaded to our simulation room's mainframe, allowing cadets to relive the events that led to earning my nickname, Rex Rocket.
• $ 13,000 - New transport destination: OUYA - The ship will be outfitted with additional information nodes, boost reception for news casts and radio transmissions, and we'll pump an invisible gas into the cabin to make your fellow cadets more chatty. Out here in the cold, dark void of space, nothing is quite as comforting as being more informed and in-touch with your shipmates.
• $14,000 - The S.S. Montana's facilities will be expanded by at least 25 rooms, creating a whole new area of the ship for you to explore, in an effort to keep you from going stir-crazy, or what the doctors here are calling "space madness."
• $15,000 - New transport destination: iOS - Our bio-scientists will get hard to work on a mysterious DNA reconfiguration they have failed to explain to me; they call it a "Gender Swap" option.
• $16,000 - Despite warnings from both the human resources department and safety technicians, we will allow all cadets access to the ship's INCREDIBLY dangerous docking bay. Our sonic technician will be supplying this area with its own background music, designed to help you keep your wits about you. Again, your captain and crew thank you for everything you've done. The hardest times are behind us, and we now bravely look to the future.
Be vigilant! - Your captain, Rex Rocket
Getting Rex Rocket onto any of Nintendo's devices would truly be a dream come true for us. We will do everything in our power to to get Rex Rocket on Playstation devices, Wii U, and 3DS but with the three platforms being closed we can't guarantee them.
Recent Articles and Interviews
Risks and challenges
Tyler is a very competent programmer, and he has already built most of the engine and level editor. Rob has been working in the visual arts industry for over 7 years, with positions ranging from web designer to concept artist to game programmer. We still face the same everyday risks and challenges all creative projects do, but our costs are very low, our passion and determination is limitless, and there aren't very many unknowns at this point. Even without a successful Kickstarter, we're still making this game - we just hope by getting financial support we can focus full-time and really make Rex Rocket the absolute best game it can be.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (34 days)