A recent survey of 1,200 marketers around the world revealed that over 70% of marketing campaigns fail to deliver intended results. Why such a high fail rate? Experience tells us that how well a project ends is largely determined by how well a project begins.
That’s why we’ve developed the Discovery Toolkit. Initially designed to address our own need to kick off brand strategy assignments efficiently and collaboratively, the Discovery Toolkit has been proven to help teams coalesce around common objectives and opportunities, greatly increasing the likelihood of a campaign’s success.
The exercises in this Discovery Toolkit have been tinkered with and refined many times over. After putting them to the test in a variety of contexts for a myriad of clients, we’re presenting them here in a package that we hope will be accessible and helpful to everyone who picks it up.
So, what can you expect? The tools and techniques included can help any marketing project start out on the right foot. They’re intended to help you uncover the true needs of and most important hypotheses around your brand in a fun, interactive way. By using this kit to engage your team early on in the project, you’ll be helping them embark on a path toward forming a stronger, more powerful brand.
Included in the Discovery Toolkit are…
The Discovery Workbook: a 32-page workbook that includes a detailed agenda with step-by-step tips, techniques and advice for running a successful, 3-hour Discovery Workshop.
The Brand Audit Questionnaire that includes the 20 most important business questions to ask before getting started.
- Three Card Decks to use within the Discovery Workshop to stimulate conversation and unearth more vivid brand language and associations. All three card decks include 75 to 100 cards, measuring 5.75"W x 3.5"L, and are printed on professional quality card stock with a smooth finish and rounded corners.
- Images Deck: A stack of conceptual images to stretch thinking and begin to visualize the current and future state of your brand.
- Words Deck: A set of descriptive words or phrases to stimulate debate around the key personality characteristics of your brand.
- Associations Deck: A collection of leading brands from across categories to generate conversation on brand role models and identify best practices worth applying to your brand.
The Six Behaviors Poster that can help succinctly capture the motivations of a target audience. The poster measures 24"W x 36"L.
The Knowns and Unknowns Poster to separate facts from assumptions and pinpoint key knowledge gaps. The poster measures 24"W x 36"L.
Digital Bonus Materials including editable, electronic versions of essential documents to make the process run smoothly.
Regardless of the type of marketing assignment or size of budget, the Discovery Toolkit is a great way to start a project off right.
Here are just a few applications for the Discovery Toolkit:
- For Brand Managers that need to solicit opinions and create a sense of brand ownership among members of a cross-functional team.
- For Entrepreneurs that need to quickly identify positioning whitespace within a category that is ownable and relevant.
- For Designers that need to put more concrete language around the needs of the consumer before developing empathetic solutions.
- For Researchers that need to understand the current state of the brand and identify hypotheses to explore.
- For Brand Strategists that need to collect client input quickly and identify viable paths to pursue.
- For Agency Creatives that need to generate more vivid conversation around a client brief to uncover more fertile creative territory.
- For Agency Account People that need to establish themselves as brand stewards by creating alignment with clients from day one.
The Discovery Toolkit is the brainchild of The PARAGRAPH Project, a market research and brand strategy studio based in Durham, NC. Our group is a diverse one, comprised of thinkers with backgrounds in design, advertising, and strategic planning as well as anthropology, behavioral economics, and fine art. This makes every day an interesting one at PARAGRAPH. We exist to provide an alternative to research and strategy that is either uninspired or over-intellectualized. We want to partner with people who want to be the best, and to be associated with companies of quality and conscience and ethics. We want any company we partner with to represent our very best work and to be a part of a portfolio we never need to edit.
Risks and challenges
No project comes without its challenges. We are collaborating with trusted vendors for our printing and production needs, and believe we can execute this project in a reasonable amount of time. We have added some buffer to ensure we manage your expectations. The design of the toolkit is complete. The only remaining items are packaging design, pre-press and printing.
Possible challenges we might experience include printing or shipping mistakes. Should anything delay delivery, we will be honest with you and communicate frequently throughout the project.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)