Cards will now be printed by USPCC Bicycle on linen, air cushion stock! Limited run, one time print only.
Grid Typographic Playing Cards.
The first in a series of three designs, I have created this deck to encapsulate the characteristics behind the International Typographic Style, or 'Swiss Style' graphic design. Focusing on how each card can be displayed through text, but also making sure to have the fundamental values required for series card users, the design has been through a long process of testing and tweaking to find the right combination of style and substance.
The cards are design to be read from multiple angles, in multiple ways, which ever is easier the user. Combining two typefaces and making the the focal elements of the design ensures the cards are easy to read, but give a unique twist to the way we traditionally see playing cards set out.
I wanted the design to be minimal and restrictive, so complex patterns have not been included in this series, but a bold and simple approach have instead been introduced.
I have created a test deck, printed and cut by hand to ensure meticulous testing of how the card plays, holds, the way your eyes are drawn to each element and the hierarchy of each.
As not only a designer, but also a playing card fan, I wanted to create a series of playing card decks that stands out from the others in my collection, and share with you all a new experience of card playing.
The cards originally were going to be printed in the UK, but are now being printed by the United States Playing Card Company, Bicycle, on linen, air cushion stock. I have already established that should we become funded, that speed in production is vital for me. As a backer of other projects, I know how it feels to wait a long time for a reward to arrive and so I want to keep this challenge to a minimum by ensuring a swift production. This does mean they will take slightly longer than if I were to have them printed in the UK, but I am confident that the higher quality is more than worth it.
The power in the detail.
The cards have each their own details that change, it is with these I wanted to created multiple ways to read the card and also for style variation. It also allows the cards to be held in different ways, should the user want to only see the top of the card, left, bottom, right or fan, variety is key.
1) Top right of the card the suit changes
2) Left side, the pips are minimal and also written underneath
3) Sequence of cards is faded with bold for current card
4) Short hand abbreviation of each card
5) The number cards. the pips build up and are faded out as they progress
The back of the card keeps to the same style as the tuck box, the text changing angle as well as colour to keep diversity from the rest of the deck.
The cards will be poker size with custom tuck box and seal, cello wrapped. I want to establish a real personal connection with each deck and each backer, so included also within your rewards will be certificates of gratitude and ownership of each deck as one of the additional cards in the deck.
As we navigate through the funding process I will establish stretch goals should we reach full funding and take in to consideration each backers thoughts and opinions. Those that have backed with me before on different projects will know I will like to have direct communication with each backer during the entire process to ensure all their feedback is taken in to consideration.
S T R E T C H G O A L S
- £3000 - Up to six free paper stickers (from choice of three designs) for first 15 backers to contact me - Unlocked
- £4250 - Grid Series Two teaser included in updates - Unlocked
- £4500 - Two poster designs - Unlocked
- £6000 - Extremely limited run of alternative colour deck. A print run of only 10 decks, these will have the same layouts with colour differences, these will never be printed again after this project. These will be available to backers only as an add on for a short time before becoming a normal reward, however these will be printed in the UK instead. - Unlocked, in contact with all backers to see the popularity of this add on before design
- 420x594mm 200gsm poster - Single card. ANY CARD YOU LIKE!
Pick your favourite card from the deck, front or back! Underneath the Grid. brand mark, aswell as Series One and your unique backer number will be printed too. I may also sign your poster if you wish, though there will only be a limited amount available.
- 960mmx390mm poster - All card designs, all cards at full size. Backer number can be included or not, this can also be signed.
Prices include delivery, please increase your pledge and message me your choice. All poster add ons come with a free phone and desktop background image download:
One poster - £15 (UK) or £17 (Rest of world)
One signed poster - £18 (UK) or £20 (Rest of world)
Two posters - £25 (UK) or £27 (Rest of world)
Two signed posters - £28 (UK) or £30 (Rest of world)
For each additional poster of each type, increase by £10, so three posters would be £35 for the UK for example. You can mix and match the posters you want, for example, 1x poster one & 1x poster two for £25 UK.
Thank you all for your time, I hope you enjoy and want to share this project with me, should it be successful, I will look forward to sharing the next part in an exiting series in the future...
Risks and challenges
I see no real risks or challenges as I strive to have great communication with all backers.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)