We are aiming to take Anime PDX from it's humble beginning as a one day promotional show for our larger convention (Newcon PDX) and turn it into Portland's very own summertime anime convention.
While many other locations have an abundance of options, we noticed that there is a desire for an anime convention in the Portland area during the summer months. What started two years ago as a small mini-convention for Newcon PDX turned into a six hundred attendee single day event . That is when we knew we wanted to do more by offering a full weekend long experience.
By raising additional fund through Kickstarter we plan to be able to offer content such as maid cafes and great guests. Our goal is to create a truly unique Anime convention for the Summer here in Portland, Or.
We have already secured the venue at Crowne Plaza in Portland, OR. The Crowne Plaza hotel was the birth place of Newcon PDX, as well as many other local conventions. They have an attentive staff and know the needs of conventions and attendees alike. The Crowne Plaza is also located conveniently near a number of food options and public transit.
Our dates are likewise locked in due to this and this show will be July 21st to the 23rd, 2017!
Why Kickstarter (or where do you fit in)?
In our quest to provide the best show possible we have decided to run a Kickstarter campaign. We have already secured and paid for the venue, we have a lot of the gear needed to run a convention due to Newcon PDX, and we have a solid executive team giving attention to the project. What we are doing on Kickstarter is trying to raise funds for the event so that we can bring some fantastic guests, offer events like a maid/butler cafe, and more. Your funds let us bring an even greater level of convention experience.
We also want to allow people to become part of the founding on Anime PDX. For year one of Newcon PDX we turned to Kickstarter for help. There were many members that loved that they had the chance to contribute to the birth of a new convention; something they still talk about to this day. We want to offer that same experience to those who wish to be part of Anime PDX's foundation.
Your contributions allow us to really enhance the level of content available for attendees. The six hundred people at Anime PDX last year already know what we can offer with only one day; for 2017 we would like to push the limit of what we can with a full length event.
So for every milestone we hit, it's something else we can do to make this a truly unique show. Should we hit our goal and start moving to stretch territory, we can show the other pin designs we have and give those buying pins a choice of which they want or to get more. We will also update and share how we are using your contributions to better this event.
Check out the website at: www.animepdx.com
- Kris heeds the call! Our second pin design is revealed and available as an option to all backers getting a pin, you can also add-on to your existing reward tier to get both! This pin will be in the Kickstarter exclusive rose gold.
- Maid Cafe for Anime PDX 2 is official!
- Reveal our host with the most... Zaxel!
- Date with Destiny reward tier unlocked!
- River is unleashed! Our final pin design is revealed and available as an option to all backers getting a pin, you can also add-on to your existing reward tier to collect them all! This pin will be in the Kickstarter exclusive rose gold.
- Day zero dessert social for Anime PDX 2 is official.
- Reveal our fabulous Emcee... Uptown Cosplay!
- Masterful Meeting reward tier unlocked.
- Special collector foldout map of the convention with scavenger hunt and other goodies will be added to the event.
- Trophies! We will be able to get trophies made by the Illuminated Geek for this event for all our competitions and contests.
- Live stream with the Executive staff, where we talk in detail about Anime PDX 2 and answer live any questions you may have.
- Ballroom Dance will be official and enhanced.
- At $8,000 we can start focusing on getting a guest for the event. We will use the money we get from this Kickstarter and work with the booking agents we know to try and bring a guest fitting to Anime PDX.
- Ribbon Culture! You can see the special badge ribbon you get for supporting this Kickstarter. Now imagine more ribbons. Ribbons for events you attend, things you participate in, and more. We would get a number of Anime PDX ribbons for our events.
- Enhanced displays. We would also use money gotten at this tier to invest in better decorations, backdrops for photoshoots, and overall enhancing the convention.
People of Interest
Uptown Cosplay - Returning off of their amazing run as Emcee of the first Anime PDX, we are pleased to welcome back Uptown Cosplay! Uptown will be the face of Anime PDX and bringing their unique brand of entertainment to the event. Be sure to catch them at many of our signature and new events. You can also get to know them better by selecting our Masterful Meeting reward tier!
Zaxel - Zaxel is a YouTuber, a Let's Player, an improv actor, part of multiple award winning skit contest groups, and an all around great guy! We are pleased to have him at Anime PDX 2 doing what he does best, performing! Zaxel will be the host to many of our events, as well as running some of his own. You can spend some quality time getting to know and picking the brain of Zaxel with our Date with Detiny reward tier!
We know folks love add-ons, and we want to offer the following so you can order numerous rewards.
- Additional Standard Membership - Add $30 to your pledge for each additional membership you wish to receive.
- Anime PDX t-shirt! - Add $20 to your pledge for each t-shirt you wish to add to your reward level!
- Anime PDX 2 Kickstarter Exclusive Pin! - Add $10 to your pledge for each pin you wish to add to your reward level!
- Additional V.I.P. membership - Add $100 to your pledge for each additional membership you wish to receive.
- Have it Maid - Add $120 to your pledge if you are looking to have all the perks of Have it Maid along with your V.I.P., Lifetime Membership, or V.I.P. Lifetime Membership level.
- Date with Destiny - Add $50 to your pledge if you are looking to have all the perks of Date with Destiny along with your V.I.P., Lifetime Membership, or V.I.P. Lifetime Membership level.
- Masterful Meeting - Add $50 to your pledge if you are looking to have all the perks of Masterful Meeting along with your V.I.P., Lifetime Membership, or V.I.P. Lifetime Membership level.
How do you add to your pledge?
Click the “manage your pledge” button on the project’s page. Increase your pledge by the amount needed to claim the add-on(s). Save your pledge. Do not change your original pledge tier! You simply edit the dollar amount by the items above. As an example, if you wished to pick up one of the Standard Anime PDX 2 Membership, and wanted to add an additional membership, you would simply update your $30 to $60. Simple!
Risks and challenges
There are many challenges that face every convention.
We have already removed two of the biggest ones: venue & gear. When starting a new convention the first challenge is always locking in a venue and having the equipment you need to run the event. Luckily, we have already been through this a number of years with our other show, so those two things are fully secure.
That said, the biggest risk facing any convention is rooms. Part of our contract to rent space at the hotel is that we will fill so many room nights. So we need to work on making this convention one where people want to stay at the hotel.
The two things we can honestly say is that our team has been built over five years and in that time we have become very adept at solving issues as they arise, and at working tirelessly to host the best possible event. With the venue being secure, this event will happen no matter what. But we sure could use some support to make it as enjoyable as possible for those who choose to attend!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)