"Greetings my friends! This is George Fuller and I'm thrilled to announce that we’ve blown past our initial $10K goal on Kickstarter. This is an amazing accomplishment we've achieved and I'd like to thank every one of you for your support and trust. It's easy for people to think that once the goal has been met in Kickstarter that the campaign is over, but, in actuality, we're still going strong in our fundraising efforts!
We have time between now and the end of the campaign on May 4, this gives us the opportunity to expand the reach of the book and online class and add even more people to our Life Compass Living Community. To do this we've decided to set a STRETCH goal of $20K and I need your help to now blow past this goal, too!
The additional funding will fuel our efforts in 3 specific ways: It will increase our marketability to publishing companies: The more books we pre-sell, the better our opportunity to get in front of a publishing company that will have an even broader marketing reach. Our primary mission is to bring the Life Compass Living message to as many individuals as we can. It will provide the funding needed to invest in world-class online education experts as we create the Life Compass Living online school: There is a science and an art that will translate the content we've developed into an online learning experience of the highest quality. It will support the resources we need to strategically carry the Life Compass Living protocol into a variety of new markets such as healthcare, insurance, and employee assistance programs. These markets need a simple yet powerful framework that will help reduce the stress and confusion people face during life's transitions. Thank you again for all your support, and please share the campaign as far and as wide as you can! We're building a community that will help one another flourish in every stage of life and manage life’s transitions with elegance. Your contributions will never be forgotten. We can do this!"
Thank you for visiting my fundraising campaign! If you have a desire to live your life with purpose and clarity and add indescribable richness to your relationships, please join the Life Compass Living mission and pre-purchase our book, Life Compass Living: Flourishing Together via one of our reward packages on the right.
Hello! My name is George Fuller. I’m a pastor, family mediator, and Certified Senior Advisor. My friend and colleague, Dr. Amy D’Aprix (A Life Transitions Expert) and I are writing a book I believe we all need. It’s a book that was born out of the transformational experience of caring for my parents, in-laws, and wife, Tammy who had advanced stage cancer. And it’s a book I believe will help us decide who we are and how we will live, love, and die. My caregiving experience led me to these life-changing realizations:
1) We’re living longer than ever before and our families and communities are changing, which means our support systems are no longer what they used to be. (Gone are the days of living in the same house or town with multi-generations of our loved ones.) As we become adults and face the normal aging process, we discover that the world we learned how to live and grow old in no longer exists. And it’s a rude wake-up call that is leaving the majority of us emotionally, spiritually, and financially bankrupt.
2) We all will inevitably face a health crisis whether our own or one of someone we love. When that crisis hits, the emotional, physical, and financial stress is enormous. Learning how to navigate our healthcare system in the midst of a crisis is the equivalent of drinking from a water hose while standing on one leg. It’s impossible. We spend nights staring at the ceiling in a complete state of panic and end up wasting significant amounts of time and money chasing answers to questions we don’t even know we should be asking.
3) We haven’t yet realized how incredibly life-giving it is to talk about death. We’ll make a list of everything that needs to be cared for when we go on vacation, but for some reason we miss the most important vacation of all – our permanent one. This leaves our families burdened not only with gut-wrenching grief, but with a mountain of decisions to be made and paperwork to be completed with no directions whatsoever from us. The greatest gift we can give our families is our final vacation to-do list.
With my 40 years of experience as a minister, community leader focused on the homeless, mentally ill, older adults and those suffering from addiction as well as my 13-year journey as a caregiver, I’ve created a protocol that I call, The Life Compass Plan. It’s a blueprint that empowers us to address the insecurities of young adulthood and navigate the complexities of aging, while securing the resources needed to share life with those we love. I’ve spent the last five years developing and testing this process with over 300 people, as well as businesses and communities of faith. A year ago, my friend and colleague, Dr. Amy D’Aprix, a caregiving and life transitions expert, joined me on this journey and we can’t wait to share the Life Compass Plan and Essential Conversations framework via our book and online Life Compass Living school and support network.
What You're Investing In
Amy and I have created a budget of $10,000 for finishing the Life Compass Living: Flourishing Together book and launching the online school and support network, which covers:
Editing, publishing, and printing the book
- Continued design and deployment of the Life Compass Living online school and support network
- Building the Life Compass Living support network
- Training a group of professionals we'll call Life Compass Plan Facilitators, who will support those in the network who are working on their Life Compass Plans.
So far, we’ve invested thousands toward this goal, and we need your help for the last $10,000. If the campaign is successfully funded, you will have a new book and support community by December, 2018.
If we don’t reach $10,000, the project will not be funded, your credit card will not be charged, and no rewards will be sent out. So, please help us achieve this goal!
Life Compass Living is doing for others what I wish had been done for me, for us. Please join our mission. It's the best gift you'll ever give yourself and family.
How You Can Help
Take a look at our “Thank You” pledge packages in the right sidebar of this page, and choose your favorite! You can pick from a eBook, hard copies of the book, and complete packages that include in-person or Skype sessions with myself or Dr. Amy.
- Spread the word by sharing this fundraising campaign through Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, YouTube, LinkedIn, blogs, emails, texts, or even a phone call to a family member or friend! Sharing this page with just a few people you know can make a huge difference in helping us achieve this goal. And even if you can’t contribute, remember that sharing is just as important as a contribution.
Get to know Dr Amy
Dr. Amy D’Aprix is a gerontological social worker who is an internationally renowned expert on lifestyle issues relating to caregiving, retirement, aging, and family dynamics.
“Dr. Amy”, as she is affectionately known, uses her 30+ years of professional experience in working with and on behalf of older adults and their families to give down-to-earth, practical, and professionally informed guidance and advice. She has authored the book From Surviving to Thriving: Transforming Your Caregiving Journey, and co-recorded a CD with an accompanying workbook: Building the Bonds of Friendship in Midlife and Beyond. She is also the creator of the Life Memories Journal and Caring Cards to inspire more meaningful intergenerational conversations. Dr. Amy is a frequent guest on radio and TV shows and has written numerous articles for print and online publications.
She is the International Vice President on the Board of Directors of the International Federation on Aging. She consults extensively with CHARTWELL Retirement Residences, MD Financial Management Inc. and is the Bank of Montreal’s Life Transition Expert. In October of 2016 she received a Professional Achievement Award from her Alma Mater, Case Western Reserve University. And in March 2012 she was recognized as one of Canada’s top business women by Women’s Post Media. Amy holds an MSW, Ph.D and the designation of Certified Senior Advisor (CSA). In addition to her professional and academic experience, Dr. Amy spent a decade caring for her own parents.
Here is an outline of what we cover in the book and in much more detail as we develop our Online School.
Life Compass Living outline below describes what participants and readers will learn through the book and the online class that will be completed with the Kickstarter funds.
Every adult needs a Life Plan to secure the future they want with the people they want in their lives. This class will introduce a proven process (The Life Compass Plan) to help them have their Essential Conversations and plan to flourish together in every stage of life and manage life’s transitions with elegance. They will also have the tools to begin building a Life Plan and connect to the resources to make it a reality.
Module One: Introduction - Life Compass Living – How to flourish in every stage of life.
- Understand the process of developing a Life Compass Plan.
- Learn the practical steps we will undertake together to enable us to flourish in every stage of life.
- Start the transition from fear and avoidance to security, autonomy, and power and connect with a group of like-minded people.
Module Two: Protection - Reducing your vulnerability and securing what is yours.
- Understand what legal, financial, and health care documents are part of an effective Life Compass Plan.
- Learn how to choose the people who will help you (or your parents/loved ones) direct medical care, finances, and the use of property if you become unable to fill those roles.
- Consider how to protect family and loved ones in the event of unexpected circumstances.
- Make a plan for getting essential documents in place.
Module Three: Person - How to maximize your self-determination and ability to flourish.
- Hear about the latest research for what really enables people to flourish and be happy in every stage of life.
- Learn how maximize self-determination and mutuality with the people who are important.
- Learn how to know and share their Life Story as plan and build deep mutuality and security with others.
Module Four: People - Identifying your Family of Choice and how you wish to share life.
- Learn how to maximize relationships for health, security and flourishing in every stage of life.
- Understand the concept of “family of choice” and why it is central to an effective Life Compass Plan.
- Discover the power of Essential Conversations and how to have them with the people we love.
Module Five: Place – Where we live and love living.
- Consider a new way to think about what it means to be “home”.
- Understand the centrality of place in developing an effective Life Compass Plan.
- How to make the place you live always feel like home.
Module Six: Power – Learning to identify all the resources available to secure our lives and legacies in light of what has been learned.
Participants will learn:
- How to identify the resources that are often missed and wasted.
- How to use the resources available now to secure their lives for this stage and the next two stages of life.
- How to decrease stress and anxiety about the future for themselves and their loved ones.
Module Seven: Provisions – Becoming aware of the programs, products and services and how to make sure they are available in each stage of your life plan and in times of a health crisis and the end of life.
Participants will learn:
- How to navigate the complex world of programs, products, and services to maximize the benefit to yourself and your family.
- The difference between Medicare, Medicaid (Canada has support systems as well) and Long Term Care (and why you need to know this!) as well as a few, little known, ways to use estate plans and insurance to meet needs and expand your legacy.
- How to save an average of $5000 per person with one family meeting.
Module Eight: Planning – Planning the steps needed to move from conceiving your plans to the mutuality that secures those plans.
- Finalize your priority action steps so you can begin your work focused on the most important things.
- Map out a plan for the Essential Conversations needed with those closest to you.
- Identify and map out the decisions and actions that will take time to develop.
- Learn how to take advantage of the on-going resources and support offered by the Life Compass Living Community and School.
This is not the end but an informed, resourced beginning. You will be starting Life Compass Living, supported by a community of like-minded people and professionals to encourage and guide you along the way!
Risks and challenges
My core team is very good at what they do and know how to bring a project in on time. Since we’ve already completed the Life Compass Plan in seminar form, there is very little risk that this project won’t be completed, or you’ll be waiting longer than expected for your reward packages. There are unforeseen things that could cause delays with third parties (book printing, etc.) but we will be sending all materials to print very early, to make sure we hit the deadline with more than enough of a buffer.
In order to reduce the risk that our Life Compass Plan online class will be anything less than stellar and to launch in time for people to have the class to share during the holidays, we have enlisted the help of a professional online curriculum developer who has extensive experience and a huge passion for helping us all age well.
We will also invite some of our supporters to participate in the development process. Those who purchase packages that include the basic online class will see and contribute, as they are able, to the building of the class and then receive the finished class in the Fall with the ability to share it with some of the people in their lives.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (21 days)