Share this project

Done

Share this project

Done
Marie Porter returns to craft the kind of Canadian cookbook that could only be written by a Canadian living “away”...
Marie Porter returns to craft the kind of Canadian cookbook that could only be written by a Canadian living “away”...
Marie Porter returns to craft the kind of Canadian cookbook that could only be written by a Canadian living “away”...
469 backers pledged $17,963 to help bring this project to life.

Because Science!

9 likes

So I just developed homemade Beep, for #MoreThanFlour.

Same weird colour I remember, and tastes very accurate ... though it's missing the modified corn starch, canola oil, and the small amounts of industrial food ingredients that were present in the original.

I've had a few questions recently about how I do things like this, so I figured it may make a fun update!

First off, TONS of research. At bare minimum, I need the ingredients list and the nutritional information.

Then, I look up the labeling regulations for the country (Canada) it's produced in. In this case, ingredients are listed in descending order by weight, rather than volume.

Additional reading can turn up helpful facts. In this case, several articles made mention of the fact that the juices only made up 25% of the product. Important stuff!

What I'm working will decide the order of operations. Usually, I'll design an entire base recipe to start with, based on ingredients and nutritional info. This time, it was a little different:

1. Design juice mix that tastes accurate, and holds to the "which ingredients have more presence than the rest" information, gleaned from the ingredients list.

Because the source material is no longer available, I'm having to rely on taste memory. Luckily, not only is my taste memory excellent, this particular one is wrapped up in a lot of nostalgia. Makes it easier to pinpoint!

2. Once I'm happy with the mix, I do a whole bunch of math.

In this case, my juice mix came out to almost exactly 1 cup of juice - very handy!

I looked at the sugar content of each individual juice, and figured out how much sugar each individual juice was contributing to the final cup of juice mix, to arrive at a "How much sugar is in this cup of juice mix" figure.

I divided that figure by 4, to arrive at "How much sugar does the juice mix contribute to the final drink, per cup of drink"

3. I subtract the last figure from the sugars in the final drink nutritional info, to arrive at how much actual sugar needs to be added, per 1 cup serving.

4. Per the ingredients, water makes up the remaining volume of the drink.

... and there you have it. How I scienced my way from having a few individual, high quality ingredients.. into an accurate replica of a low cost, sugary juice substitute!

If this kind of thing amuses / interests you, you should check out my blog post on another Canadian recipe reverse-engineering I did a while back:

Honey Garlic Sauce - http://www.celebrationgeneration.com/blog/2012/06/21/honey-garlic-cooking-sauce-recipe/

 

Sasha Dillman, QuoteStar, and 7 more people like this update.

Comments

Only backers can post comments. Log In