Fussy Fussy Gluten-Free Recipe Development
It never ceases to amaze me, how fussy it can be to develop gluten-free recipes.
You can have the perfect dough figured out, and be thwarted by your oven temperature. What works amazingly at a higher temperature may fall utterly flat at a more common, lower temp.
What works really well in one form may misbehave with even the slightest change, in ways that don't apply with their gluten counterparts. What works in one size may not work if you do a larger version, etc.
A while back, I made my old breakfast pizza using my gluten-free biscuit recipe. I used to use my normal biscuit recipe for breakfast pizzas, back before my body declared war over gluten, and it was perfect. Add a couple ingredients to the dough, form it, top it, bake it and done. Easy!
The gluten free version, however... not so much. The same couple extra ingredients that the gluten version took like a champ caused it to fail, miserably.
So tonight, I tweaked that base biscuit recipe specifically to handle the additional ingredients, and to be baked as a large crust, rather than individual biscuits. Worked like a charm!
... and it's given me some ideas on how to improve on the cheddar garlic biscuits that I would LIKE to have in the book, but haven't achieved the right texture on.
SCORE! It was tender and flaky and had a great flavour and was SUPER satisfying.
(Also: Yum! It's been far too long!)
Now if you'll excuse me, the food coma is calling my name.