Funded! Also: Rambling About Marketing and Bread.
So, we hit our minimum funding level on Wednesday! THANK YOU!
I would have said something earlier, but I'd purchased an email campaign that was set to send right around the time we hit our funding level.
So, in the interest of being able to tell how that campaign actually panned out, I've had two days off from promoting this Kickstarter project. No Facebook posts about it, no tweets, and not even an update. Updates seem to change the campaign visibility once they're posted, and I didn't want to skew the results. Sorry about that!
The thing is, I'm not a salesperson at all. IMHO, marketing is the absolute worst part of self employment - especially when you're terrible at it! My strengths are in the kitchen, not the salesroom :)
So, I really, REALLY appreciate all of the help in getting the word out about this book.
Now that we have the base costs of producing the book covered, I can think ahead to maybe hiring a pro to do marketing for the book, should it continue funding well. I have some numbers to crunch before formally announcing the first stretch goal, but it'll basically be X number of additional recipes if we hit Y dollars.
It's actually kind of a complicated thing to plot out - there's the cost of developing a recipe (which sometimes also means equipment or plate purchase), the added printing costs, the added weight to the book (which can make a huge difference to the shipping cost, if it pushes over one of the thresholds!), and what that extra hard cost (printing and shipping) will mean to future book sales, down the way.
I'll get to it, but it'll probably be next week sometime - sorry to procrastinate. I've gotten myself kind of in the "zone" to tackle some of the scarier things to develop, so I'd like to focus on that for the next few days, at least.
Certain textures and items are kind of easy to come up with. Many times, I'll have come up with a mix of flours that tastes a certain way, or percentages that work a certain way, or a technique that produces a certain effect, etc. Perfecting a pie crust made crackers easier, etc.
Well, I've not really hit on anything that makes me think pretzels or bagels will be easy. I've come sort of close a few times, but I'm SUPER picky on what I'll put in the book. Taste, texture, aftertaste, "behaviour"... it all has to be in place.
When it comes to bread, behaviour is the big one. I want something that slices well, holds up to being eaten as a sandwich, and doesn't need to be toasted to taste right. That last one is a pretty tall order for a gluten-free bread - especially for someone like me, with the added "bonus" of texture/sensory issues (autism). It's a fine balance to achieve. I'm sure it's possible, just.. frustrating. It's become my "Holy Grail".
Seriously, if/when I hit that perfect balance, I'm half expecting an ancient knight to walk in the door and tell me I have chosen ... wisely :)
Also on the agenda for this coming week is going to be a pumpernickel type bread, because that's just the kind of masochistic mood I'm in. I recently laid my eyes on this gorgeous boule of grainy, (glutenny) bread loaded with various seeds all over it, and now I *need* a safe version of it!
On the upside, my recent success with graham crackers has given me some ideas on how to proceed with some aspects of bread recipe development. I still can't get over how much they tasted like toasted wheat germ!
Anyway, I'm rambling, and should probably get back to development. I'd love to have some good news for you guys by next weekend!
Thank you again for all of your help in backing, and also in promoting this campaign!