About this project
THE TAROT OF LOKA (RRP £20 $32 €24)
The tarot has an ancient lineage dating back to the 15th century. During the Renaissance period, tarot decks were used to play card games, a tradition that remains in parts of Italy and France. It was not until the 18th century that mystics began to use the tarot as a divinatory tool, and today, in the English-speaking world at least, popular conception associates the tarot with occultism and soothsaying. Because we love games, and the fascinating historical imagery of the original tarot cards, at River Horse we decided it was time to redress the balance – so we created a deck of tarot cards that paid homage to the original use of the tarot as a game, pure and simple. And who better to illustrate this deck than the master fantasy artist, Ralph Horsley, who has fused the imagery of Alessio’s fantasy world, Loka, with the design of the original medieval tarot cards.
You can see the artwork in more detail on our Facebook page:
It's a four-player card game for the entire family.
Great discounted prices and free worldwide shipping on many pledges!
Easy, fast rules. Sophisticated team-based gameplay (two vs two, no speaking about the cards!).
Beautifully illustrated, with over forty new pieces of art. And yet very usable and very practical cards.
It can be used either as the Tarot of Loka game, or as traditional Tarot, or as a set of normal playing cards.
You can acquire Ralph's original artwork for the cards! Check the pledges, but watch out, it's first come first served!
Two new cards that make the deck unique.
Alessio explains the rules of the game:
Example of a full hand of the Tarot of Loka:THE TEAM
The artwork of the cards is by renowned illustrator Ralph Horsley (Magic the Gathering, Dungeons & Dragons, Talisman...).
As well as Ralph and Alessio, this project is going to be realised by the veteran team of River Horse – the company that brought you Loka, the board game, but also Shuuro & Turanga. As well as contributing to the games design and graphics and layout of many games and supplements, as explained on our website, here.
Alessio talks in depth about the concept behind the Tarot of Loka:
And that's not all, the deck will be printed by renowned tarot and playing cards manufacturer Lo Scarabeo.
Ralph Horsley chats to Matt about his inspiration on the Tarot of Loka's artwork:
Playtesting with the Chilling Wargamers
If we reach £14,000 each pledge of £15 or more will receive the digital sketchbook with all of Ralph's concept sketches for free.
If we reach £16,000 the card box will be redesigned to a new one, exclusive for kickstarter backers.
At £xxxxxx... keep your eyes peeled for updates... but we're thinking stuff like: FREE LOKA MINIATURES to go with your cards; ADDITIONAL RULES like advanced rules for the Tarot of Loka, and/or rules to link the Tarot cards with Loka the boardgame and/or with wargaming in general; one or more SHORT STORIES by some author whose name is going to be familiar to wargamers, etc...
ADD-ON MENU(all prices include worldwide delivery, unless otherwise specified. Prices in US Dollars are an approximation only, the final price will depend on the exchange rate at the time)
- High quality playmat featuring the World of Loka - £12.00 ($20.00 approximately*)
- Loka boardgame - £35.00 ($56.50 approximately*)
Please add £10 to ship outside the UK ($16 approx.)
- Loka pieces expansion sets - £12.00 per set
Please add £5 per set to ship outside the UK ($8 approx.)
- One deck of the Tarot of Loka - £19.00 ($30.50 approximately*)
- Signed artwork print (print randomly selected from face cards/major Arcana and signed by Ralph) - £45.00 ($73.00 approximately*)
- Handmade leather Tarot case by Cosmic Workshop - £20.00 ($32.00 approximately*)
- Shuuro, add Shuuro to your pledge for £30.00 (approximately $49.00). Free shipping within the UK, add £10.00 to ship worldwide.
- Turanga, add Turanga to your pledge for £15.00 (approximately $25.00). Free shipping within the UK, add £5.00 to ship worldwide.
- Double the Fun, add Shuuro and Turanga to your pledge for £45.00 (approximately $74.00). Free shipping within the UK, add £10.00 to ship worldwide.
- Other Add-ons from the Loka boardgame Kickstarter may be available depending on stock levels and other considerations. Please send us a message with your wishes and we'll try to get them for you if we can.
Risks and challenges
This project will not suffer from the risks connected with importing lots of stuff from the Far East – the cards are are going to be printed in the EU and shipped from a warehouse in the UK, normally by Royal Mail as 'small parcels'.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)