About this project
Thank you all so much for your support! Be sure to visit the Fenris Publishing site and Triten Community Page to keep up with the project as we finish development. If you missed the Kickstarter campaign, you can preorder Triten here.
Triten successfully funded in just a few short days! We want to extend a huge thanks to all of our backers and supporters! But we're not done yet! Our funding goal was just what we needed to get started. There's plenty of room for us to grow and deliver even more!
- Increased Art Budget: One of the major items we wanted was more money for art, so we are making this our first stretch goal! If we reach this goal we will be increasing our art budget by 33% which will let us add even more work from our amazing illustration team into the book!
- High Quality Character Sheets for all physical book orders. If we are able to make this stretch goal, we will add high-quality printed character sheets to our copper-backer tiers that order physical books! Copper Backers ($40) will receive 5x character sheets and Double Copper Backers ($75) will receive 10x character sheets.
- Playtest Invitations: If we reach this goal, all Silver, Gold, and Platinum backers will be invited to a playtester-only area of our Discord server. Here you will be able to chat directly with the Fenris Publishing creation team and will be invited to help us playtest our future products, such as the upcoming fantasy campaign settings and Triten: Science Fiction manual. Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDA's) will be required for playtesters. Release dates for beginning to playtest these products are still pending, but we're working on them as quickly as we can.
- Community Forums: We will set up, maintain, and moderate Triten community forums for players to come together, meet other players, find games, leave comments, and chat with one another about Triten.
- GM Screens/Quick References: All Silver, Gold, and Platinum-level backers will receive a free GM Screen/Quick Reference! This folding screen will be a great tool for GM's to conceal dice rolls, maps, and sensitive information as needed, or just to act as a handy quick-reference for oft-referred-to game material.
- Dice: Yet another reason to upgrade! All silver and gold tier backers will receive a set of Triten game dice! This set will include 2 d4's, 2 d6's, 2 d8's, 1 d10 standard, and 1 d10 percentile. Platinum and double silver and double gold backers will receive two dice sets. Triten does not use d12's or d20's so they are not included.
- Additional Content: If we reach this goal, we will add additional content to our already extensive collection of content in the game manual! Specifically we will add a section of legendary magical items for your characters to discover or to serve as a template for creating your own phenomenal legendary items!
- Accelerate the Campaign Settings: The Triten Gaming System: Fantasy Manual is only the beginning. If we make this goal, we will have the resources to fast-track our first two campaign settings and give you fantastic and amazing worlds to discover and explore. We have amazing stories to tell, and you can help bring them to life even faster.
The Triten Gaming System is a whole new system of Pen & Paper RPG mechanics designed from the ground up to be both straightforward and robust, allowing for a relatively simple set of rules to work for an extremely diverse set of circumstances. The Fantasy Manual is the first version of the Triten Gaming System which is focused on medieval fantasy. Along with the manual, all you and your friends need are some polyhedral dice, pencils, paper, and your imagination!
Triten uses a skill-based structure instead of a level-based structure of character advancement. Individual experience points earned as a character progresses through the world can be directly applied to any of dozens of different broadly-used Skills and additional specific, individual abilities called Talents. Characters can also craft or purchase a wide variety of equipment and learn hundreds of different spells over 7 unique schools of magic.
This system has been in development for many years and has been though numerous playtesting campaigns with a diverse group of experienced Pen & Paper gamers who have dedicated countless hours to making this the best system it could possibly be. The manual is now complete and is in the final stages of editing, layout, and illustrations! We are confident that new and experienced Pen & Paper gamers alike will love this system as much as all of our playtesters have. We just need your help to bring Triten to market!
A multiplayer adventure:
Like all Pen & Paper Roleplaying Games, Triten is a game to play with your friends. It can be played online (over chat/voice/video) or in person and requires at least one person to be the Game Master (GM) and at least one other person to play. An ideal group, though, will have one GM and about three to five players.
The complexity of many Pen & Paper RPG's can often create both a significant barrier to entry for new players as well as a constant hindrance to experienced players who are always struggling to adhere to the rules. The Triten Gaming System was built from the ground up to maximize both simplicity and versatility. We endeavored to make every mechanic and rule easy to understand and use without sacrificing the deeper functionality of more complicated mechanics.
Furthermore, Triten was designed to be modular, so individual sections and components could easily be added, removed, or supplemented by new content. While our first project is the Fantasy Manual, we have already begun prototyping a Science Fiction manual which has shown great promise thus far, using most of the same core mechanics.
The Triten name is derived from the core skill check mechanics of the system. This system combines three values that each generally range between one and ten. The first two of these values represent a character’s innate ability and training, while the third is a random value provided by a d10 to represent luck or chance. This simple, yet versatile mechanic is used throughout the system, provides the ultimate foundation for all game play, and keeps the action simple, fast, and fun.
Our goal with Triten is to provide a robust system of mechanics for you to craft your adventures. While the Triten Gaming System does not contain any specific lore or story of its own, its content and mechanics are meant to be flexible so you can easily pick and choose which elements you want to include in your own fantasy setting.
We are already in the process of developing our first Fantasy Campaign Setting book for Triten, but this will be released at a later date.
This is only the beginning for the Triten Gaming System. As we mentioned above, we have already started prototyping a Science Fiction version of our mechanics that shows great promise. We also have numerous expansions already planned for the Fantasy Manual which will add campaign settings, new items, new spells, new creatures, and much more!
Why is our funding goal so low? That’s because the project is basically already done! The Triten Gaming System: Fantasy Manual is complete. The book is fully written and the mechanics and systems have been thoroughly tested and reviewed by a large group of experienced playtesters. Final editing, layout, artwork, and printing are the final hurdles of our project.
While we would love to produce a full-color book, the only way to keep costs reasonable for the first print run of the book is to limit ourselves to a black-and-white interior. We are in touch with a local printer, we have gotten quotes for shipping, and we are completely ready to deliver our product if we merely make our minimum funding goal. We anticipate being able to ship the completed product in November of 2017 if we successfully fund.
We hope you will give us the opportunity to share this fun new Pen & Paper RPG system with you!
All pen-and-paper gamers need a bag to hold their dice collections. Why not have the coolest dice bag in town? We have put together an extra-special reward for our Gold and Platinum backers: a handmade chainmail dice bag. Every dice bag is made by hand by the project creator with 16 gauge galvanized steel wire and fastens with a leather cord. Each dice bag can hold about 50 standard-sized dice.
So many people have had a hand in this project, whether helping with design, playtesting, or just giving some constructive feedback. We wanted to share some of their thoughts with our backers.
When I met David in 2009, he had come over to recruit my roommates as some of his first playtesters. I remember being skeptical at first, but I stuck around and listened as they began discussing things. It was several hours later after a lot of talk about the mechanics of character progression that I found myself excited not only to have our first playtesting session, but also to see how the system itself would continue to grow and evolve. Years later, I’m still impressed by how easy Triten is to pick up. Even when I hadn’t played it in a couple of years, it was simple to pick up and easy to teach to a group of players new to tabletop. But my favorite thing is the great number of different worlds myself and other GM’s have brought to life with Triten over the years. It’s simple, flexible, and allows for a wealth of creativity and storytelling. We’ve gone from worlds overrun by darkness and undeath, to gritty medieval worlds devoid of magic, to realms of powerful mages where demigods rule as kings.
It’s been an exciting journey, in those worlds and this one. I’ve contributed ideas and time to Triten over the years, but it’s been David’s drive and determination that’s brought the project to where it is. He’s worked hard to bring to a community he loves a tool for creativity and fun that’s easy to learn and use. I’m excited to see where Triten will go from here.
Assistant Designer & Playtester
Triten is, in a word, flexible; its simplicity and balance makes world building and subsequent campaign design both intuitive and simple! This system caters well to both hardcore players and those new to tabletop gaming, as it's quick to pick up and easy to customize. Give Triten a try, and build the worlds and adventures of your dreams!
Editor & Playtester
Risks and challenges
All business ventures have risks, but we have done our best to think ahead and plan for possible difficulties that may arise. We pledge to be open and transparent about our design and production process and communicate frequently, relaying not only our progress and successes, but also our setbacks and mistakes.
Business Expenses: We have covered all of the initial business expenses out of our own pockets and we do not require reimbursement from the Kickstarter campaign to recoup that investment. If the Kickstarter does not successfully fund, we are prepared to write off those losses or pursue other options.
Our only remaining costs are illustration, production, and shipping. The minimum funding goal will fully cover these costs with a little bit of room to flex.
Illustrations: We would like to pack the book cover-to-cover with the amazing pieces created by our illustrators. However, we have started with a reasonable art budget and have brought on 4 very talented illustrators. If we merely make our minimum funding goal, then our art budget will allow for a little over 50 illustrations. We would love to include more art, and if we exceed our minimum funding goal then we will absolutely increase our art budget to make the book even better! But if we only make the minimum, we will still have plenty of fantastic art for the book.
Production: We have quotes from, and have been in regular contact with, a local, respected printing company with the capacity to produce our product in either small or large quantities, depending on the level of success of the Kickstarter campaign. Our production budget allows room for unexpected costs.
Shipping: We have quotes and have priced out our shipping options and included them in our project budget. Like all the rest of our budgeting, we have room to flex if unexpected costs arise.
Deadlines: We have pledged to ship Triten in November of 2017. Like all projects, sometimes there are unexpected delays, but we feel we have allowed ample time, plus a little extra, to allow for final design, layout, and artwork completion by this date. If there are unexpected delays, we will let you know right away!
We are totally committed to delivering a quality, professional product to our customers. We pledge to communicate frequently with our backers and to deliver the best product we can deliver in a timely fashion!
Triten Kickstarter Page and Video Art:
Triten Kickstarter Video Background Music:
"The Pyre" Kevin MacLeod (incompetech.com) Licensed under Creative Commons: By Attribution 3.0 License http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by/3.0/Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)