The new year is an inspiring time. Resolutions are made, gym memberships bought, loved ones embraced, and all permeates with a feeling of renewal. The turning of a calendar year alone inspires. Then—slowly but surely—resolutions are dropped, gym memberships lapse, loved ones scatter, and the dreary winter sets in.
Enough, then, of a new year—let’s have a year of new years, a year of inspiration and thought-provocation to keep life fresh, even after we slip back into our daily routines. Great persons who came before us left wisdom as their legacies. Let’s take their wisdom as our guide. Let’s let them guide us through the drear, and out into inspiring uplands.
We wish you many happy returns, and a happy new year. In the interest of inspiration, we hope your’s is A Year of Quotes. As part of MAKE/100 we are offering one hundred bundles which include our engraved calendar alongside 'Quotes'. Pick up your's!
You can become an ongoing subscriber to the Broadside Library on DRIP. By becoming a subscriber, you receive the monthly portfolio automatically, and are invited to help us choose upcoming themes.
What You Get
As part of our ongoing broadside initiative on Kickstarter, we are launching a one-week campaign to get our eighth portfolio off the ground. You will receive A Year of Quotes which holds twelve broadsides printed letterpress.
MAKE/100 Engraved Calendars
We have been developing the 2018 Thornwillow Desk Calendar for over a year and the 12 new designs make each month magnificent. Each motif is engraved in a copper plate, hand-stamped in metallic gold ink and burnished on heavy archival stock. Define your year with style by pledging for our MAKE/100 tier.
The 4 3/4" x 5 9/16" loose cards are made of heavy vellum archival stock, individually engraved in our workshop in the Hudson Valley. The months and dates are stamped in black ink and each card features hand-brushed gold edge stain to match the engraved motifs.
They are made using traditional techniques and historic machinery. Each flat card bears the Thornwillow maker's mark, guaranteeing our highest standards of quality and craftsmanship.
Limited Handmade Edition
We are offering twenty-four portfolios in a limited run. Because the run is small, we can have fun with these special copies in a way that we cannot on the general run: The broadsides are hand-printed on hand-finished paper and come in a letterpress printed, hand-patterned portfolio. Each is signed and numbered by the Publisher. They bring the object quality, the very texture of the words themselves, to another level. They are truly a unique addition to your collection.
Alongside this new eighth portfolio, we are offering our past seven, on the themes of American Protest, Alternative Facts, Subversion, What You Don't Know Might Hurt You, The Good Earth, The Final Frontier, and Combustible Cocktails. You can get all eight together in our COMPLETE PORTFOLIO COLLECTOR tier—and, they include handsome portfolio slipcases.
No. 8 : A Year of Quotes
- And even December!
No. 7 : Flaming Cocktails
- The Blue Blazer
- The Lambs Wool
- The Mint Julep
- The Pendennis Club
- The Stone Fence
- The Bullshot
- Ginger Beer
- Tears of Persephone
No. 6 : The Final Frontier
- Ptolemy & Copernicus
- Celestial Navigation
- The New Frontier
- The Cylinder Unscrews
- Spook Talk
- O is for Oort Cloud
- Scriptio Continua
- The Kessler Syndrome
No. 5 : The Good Earth
- Thou Art An "O" Without A Figure
- Kosmos by Walt Whitman
- Lake Beikal
- Musings of John Hames Audubon
- Flight of the Hummingbird
- Stupor Mundi
- Musings of John Muir
- Unconscious Mind
- Wonders of the Ancient World
No. 4 : What You Don't Know Might Hurt You
- Global Warming
- Mons Flammas Eructans: Supervolcanoes
- Not with a bang, but with. . .
- Invisible Killers: Great Plagues
- Throughout 2045: The Singularity
- A Perfect Storm: The Citicorp Center
- Close-Calls: Narrowly Avoiding the Third World War
- The Global Ocean Conveyer Belt
- Mass Extinctions
No. 3 : Subversion
- A Rat Surrendered Here by Emily Dickinson
- Caution by Walt Whitman
- Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau
- Common Sense by Thomas Paine
- Holy Thursday by William Blake
- My Testament by Taras Shevchenko
- Etienne de la Boece by Ralph Waldo Emerson
- Sonnet LXIII by Michael Drayton
- The End by Amy Lowell
- London by William Blake
No. 2 : Alternative Facts
- Falsehood, a poem.
- Come Together, a list.
- Non-Euclidean Geometry, an overview.
- The Second of July, a history.
- Contronyms, a grammar.
- The Sign of the Devil, a puzzle.
- Peace For Our Time, a delusion.
- Captain William Martin, a deception.
- The Shape of the Earth, a lineage.
- Famous Lines That Weren't, an invention.
No. 1 : American Protest
- Ain't I A Woman? by Sojourner Truth.
- 172 Years Late by Hubert Humphrey.
- Battle Hymn of the Republic by Julia Ward Howe.
- All-Pervading Lightby Frederick Douglass.
- We Hold These Truths the preamble to the Declaration of Independence.
- Liberty or Death by Patrick Henry
- They Ask For Equal Dignity the opinions of Obergefell v. Hodges.
- Crime Against Kansas by Charles Sumner.
- Topaz, Utah a poem of Japanese internment.
- We, The Whole People by Susan B. Anthony.
More about Thornwillow.
In 1985 Thornwillow was founded by Luke Pontifell, then sixteen, who spent his summer vacations printing and hand binding books. What started as a labor of love has grown into one of the leading purveyors of specialty books and custom stationery in the United States, consolidating centuries of craft and technique under one roof in Newburgh, New York.
For more than thirty years Thornwillow has been committed to enhancing the relationship between the reader and the written word. Our paper, printing, binding, and books are meant to be a lasting and powerful method of communicating and preserving ideas in the modern world. Ultimately, what we do is a very simple thing. It's black ink on white paper, and from that very simple combination, one can open up visions of the universe.
Risks and challenges
We have been thrilled to work with the Kickstarter community over the past year to complete over a dozen projects. Each of these has brought its own joys and challenges. While we have produced seven past portfolios successfully through Kickstarter, unforeseen challenges may always arise. If so, we will communicate them quickly and fully with our backers.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (14 days)