Dark Masters is a game of dungeon building and domination that never plays the same way twice. Each player lays the dungeon out as they go, deploys their evil forces, and does battle with their opponent to control key points and, with any luck, achieve victory.
Design of the core, 2-player version of the game is already well under way with a Limited Beta version launching on April 27th, 2015. This version, as well as the full production version of Dark Masters: Ancient Ruin, when it is released, includes the following:
- 36 hex card Dungeon deck with a host of unique and interesting rooms and even a handful of New Rules that pop up when you least expect them to shake things up
- 24 hex card Fellcindre player deck for the player assuming the role of the fledgling dragon, featuring Monsters, Heroes, and Traps that can be played into the dungeon to thwart the opponent
- 24 hex card Lord Gheth player deck for the player assuming the role of the dark wizard who wears his gray heart around his neck on a chain, featuring Monsters, Heroes, and Rituals that allow the player to perform special actions his opponent cannot match
- Color coded dice for each player, miniature cards, and color coded stands to represent the combatants in the dungeon
- Fully modular design allowing for additional player decks to be easily added, taking it up to a 2-6 player game if you have all of the decks, and the dungeon to be swapped out for any other available dungeon deck or even mixed and matched if you so desire
WHAT ARE WE FUNDING?
This Kickstarter campaign will fund the following work over the next several months:
- Development of 4 new player decks (for a total of 6)
- Development of 1 additional dungeon
- An entry-level, "Lite" version of the game
- Comprehensive rules covering many game-play variants, including competitive and cooperative as well as a solo play for maximum versatility
- Marketing and complimentary copies for review sites, contests, cons, etc...
Stretch goals will be added once the project is under way and nearing funding. Some possibilities for stretch goals include:
- Small, affordable expansion packs that can be added to any version of the game
- Development of additional dungeon decks
- An expansion overlay to the game that turns the tables and casts you as heroes exploring the dungeons of the Dark Masters
- Deluxe packs with fully rendered plastic miniatures for all combatants
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
Q. How is the game played?
A. In the "core" versus mode of the game, players take turns exploring the dungeon (which is never the same twice), deploying their forces, then fighting it out for domination of the victory rooms. The longer a player occupies these rooms, and the more combatants they manage to get into the room, the faster they march toward victory - while the opponent scrambles to retake control. (Co-op and solo play rules are still TBD.)
Q. What is the Dark Masters Society?
A. The Dark Masters Society will be an online gathering place for fans of Dark Masters and other Burgundian Ventures games. Only those who obtain access through this Kickstarter, purchase specific versions of our games, or work with Burgundian Ventures will have access. In addition, there will be a section for questions to, and discussion with, the strategists and designers who created the games.
Q. How is the Inner Sanctum different from the rest of the Dark Masters society?
A. The Inner Sanctum will be an invitation-only, hyper-exclusive subset of the Dark Masters Society. The designers and strategists themselves will frequent the Inner Sanctum to discuss new game ideas, run potential rules changes past our core fans, etc... In essence, this is the backstage pass giving you direct access to information and content far before anyone else.
Q. What is Dark Masters Lite and how is it different from other versions?
A. Dark Masters Lite will be a more compact and economical version of the game with smaller deck sizes and, according to current plan, tokens rather than miniatures to represent combatants in the dungeon. The intent behind this version of the game is to allow folks into the Dark Masters experience at a lower price point. We're also intending to simplify the Lite rules to make this version of the game great for a younger audience and those with less experience in the genre.
Q. I see that some reward levels offer exclusive content for the game, but no version of the game to go with it?
A. That's true. Kickstarter campaigns are all about being involved from the ground up and having the opportunity to land exclusive content that won't be available to just anyone. With that in mind, and understanding that all versions of the game will be available for retail sale once the launch is complete, we've offered this content for your use with any copy of Dark Masters that you, or even a friend, may have. All of this content is compatible with every version of the game all the way from Lite up to Ultimate.
Q. Can I get 2 different reward levels?
A. As long as the lower of the 2 reward levels is LORD or lower, then yes. Select the higher end reward level, add addiitonal funds to cover the lower end reward level, and specify what you want in the comments. We'll handle it from there.
Q. The reward levels offer several fancy signed versions of the game. Is there any way to get a standard version that isn't signed?
A. Absolutely. All versions of the game will be available for retail purchase after launch. We've offered signed copies here because that's what Kickstarter is all about, but if you're not interested in special perks for being a supporter and just want a copy of the game, just keep an eye on the game's official site for full retail launch. The games will be launched in stages between June and October of 2015.
Risks and challenges
With the concept as mature as it already is, and with a small and dedicated core of active participants, the risks are minimal. At worst, target dates may slide slightly, but the likelihood of that is extremely small.
With over 20 years experience delivering quality work on deadline and over 10 years in full scale game design, John is comfortable with a personal guarantee that the transition from beta to full production will be smooth.
Even if not funded, the full release of Dark Masters will happen and you'll be able to follow it on the website.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)