Our Kickstarter Campaign is coming to an end but you can purchase a StandCrafted desk from StandCrafted.com shortly. Stay updated by following @StandCrafted !
Before I founded StandCrafted, I used standing desks for many years while working long hours as a technology consultant. Like most standing desk adopters, I made due with what was available - empty cardboard boxes, makeshift platforms, and flimsy first-to-market inventions - almost all of which required existing desks to make it all work. What a waste of space! What an eyesore!
There are some great standing desks out there, but I wanted something different, something that barely took up any space. After recently becoming a father and transitioning my home office to a nursery, I was forced to move my workplace to a corner of my living room. I searched on the internet for a long time and with no luck finding a suitable wall-mountable desk, I designed and patented one of my own. Realizing the benefit and potential, I evolved my design to share the StandCrafted desk with everyone.
I hope you enjoy this product as much as I do.
StandCrafted desks are designed to keep your work environment functional and minimalistic. We eliminate the traditional desk space by going vertical. As a result, the desk owner stays healthy, uses minimal square footage, stays focused on tasks at hand, and has a sharp looking work area!
With a wall-mountable approach soundly in place, the final Kickstarter design came after countless design iterations to ease manufacturing, improve functionality, increase modularity, simplify installation, decrease costs, and ensure long term reliability.
Most importantly, there are no fancy apps, no motors, and no malfunctioning embedded electronics. It’s simply a solid, great piece of furniture!
The Kickstarter edition of the StandCrafted desk consists of the StandCrafted Spine and 4 modules.
The patent pending StandCrafted Spine is the core piece which mounts to the wall at a user-preferred height near an electrical power source. It can mount to drywall, a wall stud, or even masonry. One side of the Spine has over 10 slots to quickly reconfigure modules to support your computer and peripherals. The rear side of the Spine has a cable management system designed to hide and manage cables as they interface with your various devices and power sources. Additionally, at the time of installation with some minor adjustment to the rear slide modules, the StandCrafted Spine can rotate 180 degrees against the wall allowing modules to be inserted from the left or right side.
The Kickstarter desk comes with 4 modules:
- Monitor Module - We created a VESA-compliant module to support any recent-model monitor. The module supports 200mm x 200mm mounting dimensions. We recommend a monitor no larger than 30” (measured diagonally) and no heavier than 40 lbs (18 kg). Some monitors may require VESA adapters (sold separately) instead of default desktop bases (e.g. Apple Cinema Display).
- Table Module - A small table allows placement for a coffee cup, an area to lean your tablet or smartphone against the Spine, and a place for a pen and notepad.
- Keyboard / Trackpad / Mouse Module - This module allows proper shoulder, arm and wrist extension for all-day relaxed use. Based on the placement in the Spine, you can raise and lower this module by 4 inches between each slot. The micro adjustment on this module allows you to fine tune the vertical position within 4 inches between those slots. The hinge attached to the module allows you to rotate the keyboard stand to the optimal wrist angle for ergonomic comfort and to avoid fatigue. This module comes in three different flavors:
- PC - Supports any preferred keyboard /mouse / trackpad on a flat board up to 23” wide.
- Apple Version 1 Magic Keyboard and Trackpad (legacy version) Designed to specifically fit these embedded flush-mount components.
- Apple Version 2 Magic Keyboard and Trackpad (Released October 2015) - Designed to specifically fit these embedded flush-mount components
- Laptop Module - Quite simply, you rest your laptop vertically inside a small compartment and plug in all the necessary cables. There is a 1” space to conform to virtually any recent-model laptop (Apple or PC).
At this time we have chosen three great materials for solid, beautiful desk construction:
- Maple Hardwood - Maple, our original material, was chosen for furniture construction reliability, its contemporary look, and reasonable pricing. We sourced this 1” thick hardwood from Northeast US timber suppliers. It looks great in virtually any environment. The wood is delivered without stain or varnish; however, we are hoping to include a finishing option.
- Bamboo - This highly sustainable, LEED certified material cuts wonderfully on CNC machines, is extremely strong, and looks absolutely terrific. We will be sourcing a ¾” thick board, allowing this to be our lightest weight material with the most exotic look. Bao Bao approved!
- High Density Polyethylene (HDPE) - We sourced a ¾” thick industrial-grade, food safe, BPA-free, recyclable thermoplastic which is available in eight different colors. Our supplier has several LEED certification ratings associated with this selection! The material is extremely sturdy and is cut to very precise measurements. It’s perfect for hospitals, schools, industrial areas, and other demanding environments but looks great anywhere. A production-run of a black HDPE desk was chosen for our video shoot against a white brick wall and it turned out amazing!
Options: Maple, Bamboo, HDPE (Black, White, Red, Orange, Tan, Yellow, Green, Blue)
To note, for all material options (Maple, Bamboo, and HDPE), the module rear sliders will be assembled using black HDPE material. This was a recent manufacturing decision to ensure consistent depth and streamlined development. Visually, the slides are nearly invisible and the desk continue to look amazing.
At the conclusion of the Kickstarter campaign, you will receive a survey to select your preferred options based on the desk you’ve purchased. Options will include color preference (HDPE-desks only), PC or Apple (v1 or v2) keyboards, and drywall/masonry/wall stud hardware.
StandCrafted desks have numerous benefits. Here are a few key points to consider:
- Adjustable Heights - We designed the StandCrafted desk to operate in a variety of standing, leaning, or sitting positions throughout the day while also favoring unique ergonomic preferences for each user. All you need to do is move the modules to your desired height/angles and fine tune the keyboard module.
- Highly Configurable - All modules can be moved, added and changed for each workspace and work style. Any new modules will be interoperable with the current core design. Check out the “Coming Soon” section for planned additions to the StandCrafted design.
- Multiple Use Cases - This desk is great in a variety of settings, be it home, office, medical, educational, industrial, or retail.
- Huge Space and Cost Savings - Without the need for a traditional desk, a significant amount of real estate can be repurposed or saved.
- Clear Workspace - No clutter equates to better focus and mental clarity. Keep your workspace free of distractions and your brain will thank you!
- Eco-conscious - We are sourcing a LEED certified bamboo, a LEED certified recyclable plastic, and sustainably harvested Maple Hardwood to ensure least impact to our environment. Our space-saving design also eliminates the need for a traditional desk!
- Made in the USA - The desk is designed and manufactured in the USA to minimize the risks associated with foreign outsourcing that many other crowdfunded projects face.
- And Terrific Health Benefits! (see section below)
We recommend taking time to independently research and understand the latest health studies with respect to the long term implications of sitting for long periods of time over the course of a career. A majority of studies suggest many of the following health benefits exist from sitting less. We certainly don’t think humans were meant to sit around all day!
- Reducing long term organ damage (specifically to the heart, pancreas, and colon)
- Mitigating muscle and bone degeneration
- Improving daily circulation and brain function
- Improving daily mobility and flexibility, e.g., abs, hips, glutes, spine, neck, and shoulders
We are ready to start manufacturing! StandCrafted and our manufacturing partner have finalized all the small details and just need enough volume to start creating a product at a reasonable cost. The only thing left to do is gain your support and deliver!
In the timeline below, we provide a conservative estimate of the manufacturing process timeline with a focus on product fulfillment. Delivery will be on a first-come-first-serve basis (after the first 25 TOP OF THE QUEUE rewards are fulfilled).
To best communicate up-to-date status, we will be publishing our manufacturing progress weekly on StandCrafted.com to estimate your specific delivery date based on your order number.
A brief note to our international customers: StandCrafted absolutely wants your business! Our product's size and weight results in disparate shipping costs, so we added initial countries of interest that we are confident in calculating (includes shipping, handling, and VAT). For the rest of the globe, if your country is not specifically listed and you think shipping should be cheaper, please send us an email with your shipping location to firstname.lastname@example.org and we will research and add to the rewards list.
We will provide all mounting and assembly hardware. Also included are detailed instructions to ensure you install it right the first time out of the box. The manual will illustrate how to mount the Spine based on your height to maintain industry-recommended posture while enjoying your StandCrafted desk.
Mounting the desk to the wall can take less than 15 minutes. Following the instructions included will ensure that your StandCrafted desk will be structurally secure for many years to come.
For installation and assembly, the following tools are needed:
- Power drill
- 1/2” spade drill bit for drywall
- #2 and #3 Phillips-sized power drill bits or screwdrivers
For mounting to the wall, we supply mounting hardware for drywall (wall anchors), masonry (masonry bolts), or wall studs (wood screws). Based on the kickstarter survey, we will include the applicable hardware for your specific StandCrafted desk.
For the modules, there is minor assembly required:
- The monitor module comes fully assembled and ready for attachment to a VESA-compatible monitor. We supply four 20mm and four 25mm long M4 screws for connection to your specific monitor.
- The table module comes fully assembled.
- The keyboard module has 3 main components that require general assembly with a screwdriver and hand tightening. Assembly instructions will be included.
- The laptop module requires assembly using a hand screwdriver or power drill (phillips bits).
- Laptop Desk Module - We understand some customers may not want to invest in an external monitor and continue using their laptop screen while adjusting to standing at work. We are designing a module that supports a laptop - allowing someone to continue using the built-in monitor in an open position. We maintain caution against the use of the laptop monitor together with the integrated keyboard due to long term comfort issues with neck, wrists, and/or shoulders. We recommend use of the keyboard module in conjunction with the laptop desk module for best posture while standing. We will soon add this module as an additional, separate reward.
- Stain & Varnish Maple Hardwood - Existing maple desks come unfinished in order to streamline manufacturing. We have chosen to separate the finishing process and potentially offer it as a custom option. Our staff plan to professionally treat your wood to several stains and protective finishes. We are finalizing our approach and will soon add as a separate reward.
- Tablet Drafting Table - This module will be equipped with a rotational surface sized to a large iPad or Surface Pro. The bottom edge of the table will have a protruding lip to hold a tablet horizontally or vertically at any viewing angle.
- Gaming Modules - we expect lots of people want to play their Xbox or Playstation arcade-style (standing up)! For “man caves” (we’re sure there are women caves too), we are planning a great support platform for your specific gaming console. No word yet on adding this mid-campaign. Please let us know if you're interested.
- Desktop Module - Interest will surely exist for desktop computers. We're beginning to start a library of modules to support Mac Pro, Mac Mini, iMac (using existing VESA mount module), and even small PC desktops such as a Dell OptiPlex. We designed a Mac Mini and an OptiPlex prototypes for a dentist office and they worked great! No word yet on adding this mid-campaign. Please let us know if you are interested!
- Cubicle Attachment - We realize a lot of people use office cubicles but we wonder about the interest. Would this design work in your cube? Let us know! We would only design an add-on to work with our existing design.
Kickstarter Community Ideas - If you have meaningful design suggestions or revisions, StandCrafted is very open to your feedback! The manufacturing process has an upfront cost to prepare designs for production, so we can’t satisfy every unique request, but we will listen very carefully.
- Please let us know how you plan to use your standing desk and in what environment. Tweet us your #dailydriver on Twitter
- For any inspiring ideas which we take to market, we will award you with the first production unit and recognize you via our website and social media. Send us a description and/or a sketch at email@example.com
We almost forgot… T-Shirts! We would love for you to sport these comfortable T-Shirts with a tasteful logo on the front and a witty evolution graphic on the back. The shirt is printed on a comfortable American Apparel Athletic Tri-Blend with your choice of colors shown below (you'll receive a survey after purchase requesting specific color and size at the close of the campaign).
We would like to recognize a few folks and companies that got us this far. We couldn’t have even attempted a Kickstarter without some seriously awesome people, ideas, hardware and software tools, services, and encouragement. Thank you so much!
- TechShop DC/Arlington
- CAM Shop Services LLC (Brad, Matt, and Chris!)
- Andrew Bouvé, Video Services
- John Osborne, AirCastle CNC BoxCenter
- Anthony Scheller, design/idea contributor
- Barry Battle
- CrossFit MPH
- Dr. Bernard Lynch, DMD FAGD, Burke Dental Care
- Dr. Bill Kempe, DC, ACP, Sports Therapy Director
- Dr. Michael Mort, PhD, JD
Risks and challenges
Running crowdfunded campaigns often bear more risk of success versus traditionally funded businesses… especially if they are haphazardly managed. The founder of StandCrafted is personally victim to a few failed or heavily delayed crowdfunding efforts, so minimizing that risk is our primary focus! How have we lowered risk of delivery?
1) The StandCrafted team members are all tenured engineering consultants with over 30 years of combined professional experience. We leveraged our past experiences in project management, system engineering, and technology consulting to ensure common management errors will not occur.
2) Our prototype is very mature! It’s going on the 5th design version since January. The founder started with a concept to fit his own needs, then he explored new designs to improve form, function, aesthetics, and the ability to manufacture.
3) We strategically partnered with a local manufacturer that is co-located with a woodworkers supply store. The manufacturing staff are experts in computer-aided design, computer-aided manufacturing, sourcing materials, and volume production. We don't have to fly overseas if we need to address a challenge... just a quick trip across town!
4) Prior to the kickstarter campaign, we have invested many $Ks of personal savings and lots of sweat equity to achieve a product that we are confident in. Just weeks before this launch, we engaged our manufacturer to develop three first-run desks using poplar, maple, and HDPE plastic. We couldn't be happier or more confident moving forward with a launch.
Now that the initial seeds are planted, generating Kickstarter volume to afford the raw materials and managing the final efforts to the end will allow us to efficiently deliver a final product at a reasonable price.
There are always business risks, but we believe we need to prepare ourselves for unplanned events out of our control within the supply chain (which exist in every manufacturing business). If our manufacturer were to become unavailable, we have researched alternatives and would make supply chain decisions as necessary. In the event schedule changes occur, we will of course communicate those as soon as they happen.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (32 days)