Superhero: 2044 RPG with Miniatures (Canceled)
Superhero: 2044 RPG with Miniatures (Canceled)
Superhero: 2044 will allow our superhero fans to unleash their inner hero. Over 275 playable characters with over 700 illustrations.
Superhero: 2044 will allow our superhero fans to unleash their inner hero. Over 275 playable characters with over 700 illustrations. Read more
Everyone associated with the gaming industry understands the overwhelming nature of product offerings with a fantasy based theme. Dungeons and Dragons and Pathfinder and Magic dominate tabletops from here to Timbuctoo. I was looked at with a smidge of skepticism when I began discussing with people the possibility of doing an RPG based on comic books and super heroes. Basically it was like the movie Forrest Gump when Tom Hanks goes to buy a shrimp boat from an old mariner on the Gulf Coast- “ Is ya stupid or something?”. If the universal experience of fantasy games triggers a sense memory of that first fairy tale we heard as a child then super hero games ; in theory, should trigger similar universal fond memories of that first time as a kid we tied a towel around our neck as a makeshift cape and jumped off the couch. But the devil has been in the details in our industry. There have been some great games …but… No super hero themed game ever reached the popularity of fantasy games. In movies, TV, video gaming, and toys…super heroes win the day. Except in our industry. The thing that was bothering me was the WHY. Both major comic book publishing houses have had offerings by game developers over the years but each one had it’s flaws, critics, and detractors. If you are making game based on popular heroes you start out with certain disadvantages. Extremely powerful characters cannot be watered down or large corporations who make billions on T-shirt sale get nervous. Game mechanics and gameplay balance ne damned. The smaller companies without a major DC or Marvel license in hand seemed to give up on the visual demands of the comic book public right away. So lack of visuals in the comic book realm is sure death. Many of those games presume the creation of a compelling comic book universe from scratch. Good luck with that. So I began to look at older games and what they did right and what they did wrong and found Superhero: 2044. Many games that followed SH: 2044 co-opted numerous game rules but curiously left out what I felt was the very foundation of having a successful super hero themed game. This was the inception of categorizing each character into classifications which formed a structure integral to organizing gameplay. It just needed characters. It may sound counter-intuitive in a D&D world but you need a base universe - to build a universe of your own. We built it and give you the tools to build upon it. I saw all these issues as an opportunity. First you need a bunch of viable characters. I started with the wealth of classic characters who are free to use. Then added characters I felt would be necessary for an interesting game. We methodically prepared the visuals and when those were underway we began systematically developing each character’s attributes and statistical scores based on what would happen in the real world if these people sprung to life. The result is a universe specifically generated FOR a game as opposed to a makeshift retrofit of popular characters into a game. We have carte blanche to create a balance among the characters to make entertaining game. Seemingly all powerful godlike characters will have achilles heel weaknesses. Street savvy underdogs can obtain weaponry which can even the playing field instantaneously. Each player participates in the gameplay evenly in a collaborative effort to save the world. Add in structured math, ships, vehicles, villains, and mercenaries backstories for all the above and I feel we have arrived at the perfect comic book role playing game. Mark Thompson Publisher Superhero: 2044 RPG .
Each item offered to backers will have the highest production standards with high quality paper and printing methods for each printed product. In addition, each miniature will go through a meticulous prototype process which will test for aesthetics, durability, rigidity, and ease of providing an enjoyable painting surface.
- 275 numerically balanced playable characters allow instant game immersion.
- Conversion tables to convert your character from your favorite super hero game.
- Four classes of character builds which include: Unique – Super powered character Ubermensch – Human with enhanced abilities Tech – Technologically savvy Quantum – The ability to manipulate time and space within the game .
- Easy to learn game play whether you are new to RPGs or an experienced veteran.
- Fast and easy setup of new game.
- Game play can be quick and simple, where you use the stats on the character profile to a multi-level game with in-depth rules and guidelines which include purchasing enhancements, equipment and vehicles.
- Every move or counter is based on 2d10. Easy to follow numerics for quick and precise moves.
- Why does the defender make the 2d10 roll? The exact same result would come from the attacker rolling 2d10 and the defender adding 11 to the defending skill, which is used in some fashion in many games. This choice brings players into the game sequence when their character is being attacked. The attacking player makes the decision who to attack and with what, but the defending player has to make the roll that determines how successful the attack is. This helps keep players focused on the game even when their character is not acting.
- Static attacks with defensive rolls for quick turns.
- Balanced characters and randomized group attacks so everyone has equal game play and participation.
- Editorially diverse backgrounds and orientations of the characters statistically in-line with the population.
- Enemies have numbered attacks for randomized attacks. i.e. which attack and which hero to attack.
- The inclusion of mega weapons where the player will have tasks to acquire which allow for the defeat of ultra-powerful beings.
- Four levels of play which allow for direct competition with more powerful beings as you grow and acquire mega weapons.
- Acute measurement of in-game time which facilities quantum time jumps.
- Detailed attribute numerical charts for all characters which allows for GM to define events.
- Open ended scenarios which allow the GM to expand or limit the game length depending on the number of players, the level of players and time allotted for game play.
- Most characters start with a 100-point system. With this many points, character builds become equally competitive without having over powered heroes. Guidelines and rules will also help players create their own competitive characters.
- One of the objectives we wanted to achieve was to return to the days when RPGs were praised for teaching math and planning. We have made a fun and active way for all ages to use critical thinking and basic math.
- Great game for all ages with any level of ADHD. All players and GM are active at all points either in team strategy, defense or group attacks.
- Measurement tables which quantify each ready built character's powers, enhancements, and abilities in accordance with real world physics.
The Superhero: 2044 game will include the broadest array of weaponry, vehicles, and ships ever published in a comic book themed role playing game. This carefully conceived collection of weapons is not superfluous but is integral to gameplay. The 'gear' and acquisition thereof is a critical tool to equalizing the field amongst powered characters and non-powered characters.
Risks and challenges
The most difficult aspect of doing an interesting comic book themed game is the basic core visuals. It is nearly impossible to describe to someone verbally or in writing a comic book theme, character, or setting. We have methodically created a substantial portion of the visuals so that as a fan you can get a clear picture of how the visual with appear.
After that we have discussed what we feel are the underpinning reasons for other comic book themed games not quite hitting the mark. We have spent quite a bit of time essentially cyber stalking forums where fans were lamenting what was lacking in existing supers themed gameplay products. Making sure that all those factors are addressed and comprehensively tested will be the final hurdle to creating the ultimate super hero role playing game. Our goals are lofty and based on the response so far we are close to reaching them. We could go to press the minute we would be so blessed as to have enough support. But we want to take the play testing to a higher levels which would encompass hundreds of players in mega sessions to make sure we have not overlooked anything. We would then and incorporate the results to substantially refine the game.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (60 days)