Photogenesis: Ambient Music Generated from Photographs
Photogenesis: Ambient Music Generated from Photographs
Ryan Lucht's first full-length album: ambient/drone/chillout music centered around sounds generated from photographs.
Ryan Lucht's first full-length album: ambient/drone/chillout music centered around sounds generated from photographs. Read more
First things first: Here's the sampler track of every song on Photogenesis! Listen to it and make sure you share it with all your friends!
Photogenesis is an album of ambient music that all began by generating sounds from photographs. If you're unfamiliar with musicians like Tim Hecker, Brian Eno, or Steve Reich, think of my music this way- "the sound of inner stillness". The finished product will be like the sonic equivalent of being surrounded by sunlight on a warm spring day, or wrapped up in a warm blanket in winter, or other warm, poetic sounding analogies I just made up.
I used a combination of no less than 6 different synthesizers and computer programs that, in their own way, take photos and generate sound from them- sometimes it sounds like white noise, where a sine wave is generated by taking numerical values from visual information (like brightness, or red value) and then those values become frequencies (on a quadratic scale). Another software took each photograph, created a mosaic from it to simply the color scheme, and then assigned notes in a musical scale to each color value present.
The end product contains original musical compositions by myself centered around these sounds, with some appearances from guest musicians as well. It's a very meditative and calming experience for the listener, and also a personal message for me as well- it's a concise statement of where I am as a person, friend, and musician at this point in my life.
All of the money being pledged in this Kickstarter will be going to one of 5 very necessary steps for this project to come to completion and be the beautiful end product that everyone will love:
- Mixing done in a professional studio, by a professional
- Mastering done in a separate professional studio, by a different professional
- Manufacturing of the album onto a limited run of 500 CDs, with 12-page booklets, and another limited run of 300 7" vinyl singles, on WHITE VINYL!
- Shipping out all these amazing end products (all reward level minimums include shipping to the Continental US)
- Digital distribution fees, registration fees, software licensing fees, and the like.
Please keep in mind- without hitting the Kickstarter project goal of $6,600, nobody gets charged a penny, I don't get any of the money, and the project ends there. I need your help and promotion to make this happen!
So.. what kind of really cool things can you get in exchange for your love and support? That's all listed to the right side of this page, but let me break it down for you:
- A digital copy of the full album, DRM-free, in any format you'd like (Yeah, I'll even encode into Ogg Vorbis for you, you weirdo!)
- 1 of 500 physical CD copies, complete with 12-page booklet containing photographs and detailed liner notes, shipping included!
- 1 of 300 7" 45rpm singles, on white-colored vinyl! (Yeah, I'm way too excited about the white vinyl).
- A digital copy of the online-exclusive B-Sides EP, which has even more cool tracks and bonuses. DRM-free, any format.
- A test pressing of the record courtesy of my vinyl manufacturer, United Record Pressing
- A mention in the liner notes, or even a producer credit!
- A handmade physical copy of the B-Sides EP or a handmade mixtape of music that inspired Photogenesis
- Private Skype or StageIt concerts!
- Send me a photograph, and I'll write a new, original Photogenesis piece just for you!
- Private lessons on using my tools arsenal to create your own Photogenesis-esque pieces
- Fun, worthless stuff, like: Handwritten thank you notes, signed photographs, and crappy watercolor paintings!
- BONUS REWARD: IF you live in my area, and if the project is successful, I'll give you a bear hug while tears of happiness drip onto the back of your shirt.
Great! Please follow these 3 simple steps to support Photogenesis and myself. It'll only take a few minutes, and I'll love you forever for it. When you get the final product, you'll be glad you did!
1. Make a contribution to the project, no matter how small! Every dollar counts, and you only pay if the project is successful. Remember all the cool stuff you'll get for contributing!
2. Share this page! We need your help promoting Photogenesis in order for the project to be successful! At the very least, set it as your Facebook status or tweet it, or send the link to a few friends who you think would enjoy this music. If you wanna go all out and email everybody in your address book or blog it, I'd so appreciate that too!
3. "Like" me on Facebook, and spread the Sampler around! I want as many people as possible to hear that sampler track, and Liking me on Facebook will allow me to communicate with you even beyond this Kickstarter project :)
And now for the all important "liner notes" of this Kickstarter- credit where credit is due! There are a lot of people helping me out with this, so here goes!
First off, I (Ryan) personally did the following on this album: all recording/programming/composing and played most of the instruments, edited the Kickstarter video, compiled the sampler, did all graphic design (including on the album/for the booklet), and am generally the Sheriff/Business Manager around these parts.
The Kickstarter video was filmed and co-directed by Josh Reitan.
Photogenesis will be mixed by Dylan Lauzon for Boutique Audio Services (London, Ontario), with mastering by Denis Blackham for Skye Mastering, and additional production work is by James Plotkin.
Guest Musicians on the album: Matilda Thornton-Clark, John Colaiacovo, Adreeja Guha-Ray, and Arnav Chevula.
The beautiful people and friends who inspired each of the tracks: Nic Pazlopez, Erika Neilssen, Evan Stark, Avery Nackman, Molly Pfeffer, Matilda Thornton-Clark, Amanda Layne Tilles, Paul Coletti, Brandon Lane, Dan Tong, Jason Tompa, Erica Wysocki, Adreeja Guha-Ray, Rob Heebner, Sarah Frawley, David Mullin, Nabeel Chaudary, Andy Smith, Aaron Herl, and others
Digital Distribution will be by Bandcamp, Disc manufacturing by DiscMakers, Vinyl manufacturing by United Records Pressing, and CD booklets by 48HourPrint dot com.
- (30 days)