A stunning 2D Action RPG aiming to blend an addictive, challenging & fast pace combat system in a seamless multi-layered environment. Read more
Funding for this project was canceled by the project creator on July 2, 2013.
About this project
We also have a PayPal option on our website for those who prefer that method. If you Pledge through our website whilst our campaign is still Live, be sure to send us a Message to confirm the rewards you will receive.
Project sweat is a 2D ARPG to be released on Windows, Mac & Linux. The game aims to perfectly blend an addictive, challenging & fast pace combat system in a seamless multi-layered environment, with every single piece of content in the game being highly detailed sprites. We're giving you 3 truly unique characters to play with in this beautiful world, and when we say unique, we mean it; each character will have its own play style, reminiscent of different game titles and genres.
The females concepts are currently blacked out as we're giving you our supporters the ability to influence their design and play.
The game mainly draws influence from the following titles
- Ninja Gaiden: Black & Street Fighter 3: 3rd Strike (Combat system)
- Suikoden 1-2 & Chrono Cross (RPG elements & customisability)
There are of course many other games from various other platforms and media such as 'Super Ghouls & Ghost' & 'Final Fight'. The art style is heavily influenced by Hyung Tae Kim, known for his works on 'Magna Carta' & 'Blade & Soul'.
This is Not a game where you can mindlessly mash buttons to survive, the combat will be based on a high risk high reward formula. You will have 2 attack buttons; fast & strong. The enemies will charge at you from all directions and try to attack you from varying ranges in different styles & have resistance to specific attacks from certain angles; reactions really pay off to be the most effective killer. In a nutshell, the gameplay is what you will get if you were to put Ninja Gaiden: Black on a 2D plane.
With only 2 attack buttons you'd think we'd simply alter speed, strength, defence & range. That would make them unique amongst each other, but it's still not good enough. So here's the deal
- Each Character gains a unique boost when played at certain times, for example, the mage may have a raised attack stat at night if you decided to customize her to being a dark mage.
- The male/warrior of the game is a balanced character focusing on close combat. Utilising Dash cancels in nearly all animations. Always aiming to close the distance to be in a position where he's most dangerous - in their faces.
- One of the females is the 'ranger' focusing on speed and ranged attacks to keep enemies at a distance.
- The last is a fully customisable mage, you create her combos, decide what speed, power & magic she uses. You can have a pure fire mage, or mix and match from a vast amount of magical attacks in her very own skill chart to create a combo string which suits you best.
We wanted our sprites to have the animation fluidity of Street Fighter 3 & the visual impact of King of Fighters XIII. We decided to reject the flash & IK animation methods which breaks sprites up into pieces & manipulates them like a puppet. We want quality, but we will not sacrifice any of it for shortcuts, we want you to be able to pause at any time during any animation and see a perfect piece of art in everything we put in this game. This is a colossal task as the game will include 3 playable characters and an enormous amount of NPCs, creatures and bosses, each with a Huge amount of highly detailed sprites to keep the animation fluid.
Think that's enough to separate us from the rest?...course not, Here's what will- Asymmetrical Designs; many sprites in games limit themselves to symmetrical designs to half the workload needed as they can flip the characters left and right. We're removing that limit, throwing that away along with that thing we call 'sleep'
The game will have a hometown which you will frequent, filled with shops, inns etc. Heading outside of this town, you have a huge amount of areas to go to, the aim is to get stronger, clear levels, complete challenges & quests, and work your way up to killing bosses which plague the land. Pretty standard so far? You level up by gaining enough EXP from killing enemies and completing quests, after completing a stage...you do NOT Regenerate your health. You have a choice, return to town and heal OR challenge the next area gaining more EXP than usual. Your character carries a very limited amount of items so you can't rely on that or on enemy drops, just your skills. Should you choose to go back to town, there are a few options; purchase healing items instead of saving up for that legendary weapon you saw, or heal at the inn (which has a sauna =] ). If you go for this option to recover, it uses the games internal clock, and slowly regenerates your characters health, here you'd think you have no choice but to go make a drink, stretch or do something to pass the time; or- whilst you're resting in the inn or recovering in the open air hotspring, you can go explore with the other playable characters who may already be in the hotspring with you at this point, now with full health after recovering from the injuries they sustained the last time you took them to battle. You're managing ALL 3 characters (as if they were Pokémon?...) and each will be needed to help obtain rare equipment and items for the other characters via quests.
Should your health reach 0 during a stage, you'll lose all your current EXP & we'll try appeal to that gambler side of yours. Give up this stage, and end up at the inn with maybe less gold and possibly a missing item, Or... Get up off your knees and keep going, you'll be given a small amount of life to try again, but if you go down again, you'll lose more EXP and risk levelling down; What will you do?...
The small team at Humid Games have thus far only been able to work on this game during our spare time using our own money to keep this project going, it wasn't long after that we realized we didn't want to make a short good game, but a huge phenomenal & addictive one. We believe that with your help, we will be given the chance to have this game reach its full potential and give to you a truly amazing & addictive game. We only require enough to cover living costs as we continue to put 16 hours a day 7 days a week into developing this game that is our passion.
So the 2 female characters are blacked out, well, as our supporters we would like to know what you want for them, we hope to be in contact with some of our backers to help influence their final outcome - maybe you love a woman with a scythe? Perhaps you loathe those near naked adventurers?
You can even be included IN the game; Depending on the pledge you can be a background NPC, a core NPC such as a smithy, innkeeper, or you could even be a Mini boss. We will include all backers in the game in some way as thanks for making the game possible. As a game made so that everyone can enjoy it, all your comments will be read and may influence the overall feel. The biggest reason, is you will have helped create an amazing game!
Here's a sneak-peak of the few amazing Features & Notes taken from the design doc and formatted for your convenience.
- The Inn will recover around 30% of your HP, the Sauna will slowly regen a very small % every second you stay in there allowing the players to have a break/make a drink etc whilst healing. You also have the option to LEAVE your current character in the sauna to heal and play as the other char. The main idea for the sauna is to almost force the player into playing as the other characters whilst one/two of them continue healing (useful ingame clock feature) ...Fan service...?
- Opening your Inventory does NOT pause the game, so healing etc should be done when safe
- Invest money into shops to raise chance of rare item appearing
- The game will have multiple layers for you to play on, an example would be the game 'Little big planet' which has a foreground and background layer players can hop onto. This unlocks many puzzle possibilities and hidden areas etc, lots of exploring to do.
- Unlock Menus, lifebars, Start-screens, taunts (has different effects-tribute to sf3) & Custom Intros to further personalize your characters & make the game fit your style. (Backers can design one?) simple/abstract - include or exclude character portraits etc.
- 1 save slot will house all 3 characters, they all interact with each other (nod to Maplestory) where they can exchange items and equips etc
- Various modes Includes Training & Survival mode (therapeutic?)
- Ingame clock will have its uses; for example the longer you play without saving raises rare items appearance/ rare enemy appearance - rewarding hardcore/dedicated players.
- Home Town will house various people who you interact with to change/check the following;
- NPC - View bestiary - view enemy drops/weaknesses etc.
- NPC - Change game difficulty
- NPC - Customize UI (lifebars, menus, etc)
- NPC - Set up Mages Attacks
- Smithy - Edit equips
- Shop Keeper - Purchase/Sell items
- NPC - Take on quests
- NPC - enter training mode/survival mode
- NPC - Rest at the Inn or use the sauna / Both (Suikoden 2 tribute, also unlock/purchase various bath settings?)
- NPC - turns autosave on or off
- NPCs - visit the marketplace (area full of contributors & other NPCs)
- NPC - Storage, since you can't carry much, store extra items/equips here
- EXP is gained from quests, killing enemies, bosses and various other ways. When enough EXP is gained, you level up which raises both your offensive and defensive stats, this effect is not really huge to keep the focus on player skill.
- You DO NOT Regenerate HP after clearing a stage, you have a few options - Go back to home/base and heal or fight the next stage with EXP multiplier (0.2x?) where the only way to heal If is enemy drops pots -> rarity depends on difficulty, normal mode around 5%...maybe rarer
- Random item drops which boost ATK/DEF stats (permanent = VV.rare, equip slot = V.rare, temporary effect = rare) or misc items with unique effects such as Health regen, HP drops heal more etc. Enemies could also drop items which harm the player instead.
- All Attacks blocked DO Chip DMG (.05% of total DMG?)
- Blocking states are vulnerable from behind (will Not autocorrect)
- Backdash & dash has invulnerable start-up frames (2-3 frames)
- being hit during an attack's startup or recovery animation will result in you taking more damage than usual, backing up that high risk high reward, button mashing is a no no.
Going over some of the stretch goals:
WORLD MAP TRAVEL
A world map will be created complete with chibi styled sprites of characters as an alternative method of getting around and selecting your stage (Another tribute to games such as Suikoden, Chrono Cross, Chrono Trigger) Of course those who simply don't like the world map travel have alternative methods of getting around.
A tribute to Legend of Mana, you will be able to obtain pets from quests & shops, each with a unique effect on the character raising it; ranging from simple stat boosting to being able to cure poison status effects.
We will implement a weather system which is not just a visual feature, slippery surfaces, raised or lowered attack, reduced visibility varying creatures appearing in weather most favourable to them etc
Just like some of the classics, Golden Axe, Final Fight etc; You and a friend can work together to take on everything.
DOUBLE RES ALL!
This is a big one, ALL the visuals currently done and all the visuals planned will be done to a much higher quality. As if there wasn't enough work already, this more than doubles the workload for ALL visual content; characters, enemies, stages - this also includes Your characters, items & minions, but, we promise it will be Worth it, just look below for an example. It's not finalised, but it'll help you see the difference.
(Approximate currency conversion May 2013 & June 2013 for the 3 new rewards)
NEW GAME BONUS
This reward has 2 levels; level 1 grants you some gold and items when you start a new game. Level 2 will give you more valuable items & more gold.
SIGNED HARD COVER ART BOOK
You will receive a limited hardcover art book signed by the designer. The standard portrait sized book(with Imagewrap type cover) will include ALL artworks made for the game, used & unused printed on premium paper. There will also be pages showing step by step creation of various creatures with details such as what influenced the design choices made, what references were made and which creature was a tribute to what game (Not included in digital Artbook, making this even more special =] ).
A1 GLOSSY POSTER
The Designer will create a custom Hi-res image solely for this poster. The Design Created just for you guys will use a C-Type RA5 Wet Process printing to output your design onto a 180GSM Fuji Crystal Archive Gloss silk; These aren't your average glossy poster prints
The Designer will create a custom Hi-res image solely for these canvas prints. Your design will be go through a v12-colour printing process on a UV resistant premium polycotton canvas for a vibrant reflection free finish. It is then machine wrapped onto a 1.8cm thick sturdy wooden frame before being finished with artist backing tape, ready to hang as we will send it to you with hooks and string included.
HIDDEN INGAME MESSAGE
You will have a message placed somewhere in the game, be it in a book, on the walls or a poster within the game. Let's try think of something appropriate and better than 'Steven woz 'ere 2013'...
CREATE AN ITEM
You get to create an item (work with the designer on the visuals), name it and decide on a desired effect it will have (we will set values for balancing purposes).
DESIGN A CREATURE
Work with the designer to create a creature everyone will have to face.
There are 4 different types of NPC rewards, the first one is for visual purposes and sees you in the background (working with the designer to come up with the design) the second NPC includes interaction - you can personalize a message for your NPC (subject to our approval to make sure it's not inappropriate or too out of place). You will replace one of our randomly selected core NPCs (shopkeepers, blacksmith etc.) Finally the last NPC Is one who appears when certain conditions are met and carries with him unique & special items for sale, someone who players will seek out to obtain these items.
BECOME A MINI BOSS
You will be a mini boss placed in a random stage, people will face you with hopes of obtaining a great amount of EXP, gold and a rare item. You will work with the designer to come up with a design which best represents you, you can also help think of what kind of attacks you want, what resistance you have, what might the players have to do to take you down...
BECOME A LEGEND
You will become an optional Legendary Being, you will have your own stage inhabited by minions defending you as their God. You also wield a legendary weapon, which everyone could only hope to take from you, people and books in the town speak of your power, no amount of levelling or stat boosting items can make this battle any easier. Work with the designer to create a headache for all.
We would like to thank you for taking the time to view our project & helping us with your pledges, comments & suggestions. If you aren't able to back our project via the pledges but still want to help complete this game for everyone (We hope you can, no matter how small the amount may be, the support on its own shown from you makes a huge difference) then sharing this page with your friends and family would be wonderful too. Also sharing and liking the projects Facebook page, you could even talk to the members should you wish to ask anything not covered on our kickstarter page.
Producer / Designer
Co-Director / Programmer
Risks and challenges
Should the funding be successful, We can't foresee any problems for the games release. aside from the usual game dev risks, the only one that comes to mind is not receiving enough exposure or attention, but we also think this is something most indie game devs face, and that the best way to deal with it, is to make a truly amazing game that excels in all aspects.
The biggest challenge, is the art. The link below goes over the cost of development for 1 character for the amazing game known as Skullgirls. As we are trying to achieve something similar (balancing playable characters & enemies, giving them all a huge amount of animations etc) you might wander why we aren't asking for at least $200,000 since we are not just doing 1 character, but 3 characters (asymetrical designs doubling the work) and an uninmaginable amount of varying enemies, bosses, stages etc. Well... We wander the same thing.
No matter what happens we know that with what we asked for we will push ahead and get the game done by just living expenses, anything beyond what we asked for will be put to use into producing a truly great game, with awesome content, visuals, music… etc. Our passion and drive for this project will lead it to completion regardless of the obstacles we may face, how big the game gets by its completion depends on your support.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
We're liaising with a few contacts to potentially make the game available in various languages depending on funding. Some of the discussed languages so far are: Japanese, French, Spanish, German, Portuguese, Polish & Italian.
We hope to port the game onto All 3 if possible, We would also like to port the game onto handhelds such as the PS Vita if our funds allow it, making the game available in as many platforms as possible to give gamers the chance to play the game on their preferred device.
The Game is currently showcased in the Steam Greenlight Concept section (http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/…), as it is still in its early stages.
once we have reached a certain stage with the game (Beta+) we will release the project on Steam Greenlight games, where it will be subject to steam users votes on whether or not it will make it into the Steam library.
Thanks to Unity's cross platform capabilities this option is easily available to us, so yes it will, we'll also test to make sure it's running fine before it gets sent out along with the windows and Mac versions.
A survey will be sent out at the end of the kickstarter campaign (if we succeed in the funding) to gather information from backers such as your preferred platform, address to deliver the game/rewards to etc.
If at any point before the game is complete, you want to change something such as platform version, you are able to contact us through the humid games facebook page, the creators facebook page, or via twitter.
Humid Games Facebook page - http://www.facebook.com/humidgames
Steven 'JnXC' L-a - Producer / Designer - http://www.facebook.com/JnXCyN
Mikael 'Siniestrum' Hernandez - Co-Director / Programmer - http://www.facebook.com/Siniestrum
Twitter - https://twitter.com/HumidGames
Should the campaign be successful, we will include in the survey some questions that will help push towards one direction of design or another. It's not just clothing - just so you know =]
- (35 days)