UPDATE JANUARY 27: Thanks for an incredible Kickstarter. We have closed out all 13 stretch goals. (Wow, that's an unlucky number! I guess it's appropriate for Grimtooth.) Thanks to everyone for their support on this wild ride. It's been a great experience and we can't wait until you see Grimtooth's Ultimate Traps Collection printed in all its glory. And with that, we officially close this Kickstarter!
All right humans, this is your chance to own the 460-page hardcover compilation of all five of my systems-neutral Grimtooth’s Traps books – plus loads of extras! We’re talking 500+ traps and maybe me making a guest appearance in a Dungeon Crawl Classics crossover module. I’m Grimtooth the Troll, and I’ll be your guide on this Kickstarter tour, so gird your loins, get your dice and let me tell you a tale…
This is what the humans at Goodman Games say you need to know about this Kickstarter event:
- Published by Goodman Games under license from Flying Buffalo (and with my permission), this 460-page hardcover collects of all five of MY Traps books, including the original eponymous 1981 edition as well as Traps Too, Traps Fore, Traps Ate, and Traps Lite. Every trap from the original five Grimtooth’s books is included – there are no exclusions!
- This massive tome is systems-neutral, containing more than 500 traps suitable for all fantasy systems and games. You have never had so many trap options before – use them well…
- My book will be available to you mortals in multiple formats: a basic softcover for table play, a durable hardcover for longer shelf life, and a gold foil edition for the serious collector (available in both faux and real leather, and with a slipcase).
- The book is also available in PDF edition. All print backers will also receive a copy of the PDF edition.
- Face it – this is a homage to a VERY important piece of gaming history. (Mine!) The book features a foreword by noted dungeon designer Harley Stroh, and also includes an extensive interview with the original creative team, a cover gallery showcasing 30 years of editions (in both English and many foreign languages), and a look behind the mysterious submission process – including my legendary “Grimtooth’s Submissions Box” that sits majestically on a shelf in the Flying Buffalo offices.
- And I have created more than a dozen new traps specifically for this volume. For the first time in a decade, the Grimtooth’s submissions box has been cracked opened again, and more great entries have poured out to an unsuspecting world!
- Plus the humans at Goodman Games are giving you the possibility of several exciting stretch goals to make this epic project even more impressive: printed endsheets, a satin ribbon bookmark, the cover gallery in full color, a custom dust jacket for KS backers, and a gatefold page featuring the Grimtooth board game that was first mentioned more than 20 years ago!
- And if you’re really lucky we might do a cross-over with the Dungeon Crawl Classics line, allowing me (Grimtooth) to make an appearance in a special DCC module produced just for this Kickstarter!
- And to wrap it all up, primary Grimtooth illustrator Steve Crompton has dug through his archives to find original art from the earliest books. This original art is available as part of the deluxe book pledge levels!
Listen bub, here’s the bottom line - Grimtooth’s Ultimate Traps Collection: A gigantic collection of over 500 awesome engines of destruction, delver dicers, character crushers, adventurer anxieties, minion munchers, hero harangers, general tricks, traps and other rare and dangerous items for use in defending game master treasures! You want it and you need it. And if you don’t order one, I’ll have to hunt you down!
Now as hard as this is to believe, there may be a few of you out there living in a shack in the middle of Mohave Desert, that haven’t actually seen one of my original Traps books. If you are one of those unenlightened souls, read the paragraph that follows. (The rest of you can click that button over on the right and get your pledge in.)
What is Grimtooth’s Traps? Originally published by Flying Buffalo, Grimtooth’s Traps is one of the most popular RPG accessories ever produced, with more than 250,000 copies in print since 1981. There have been a total of seven Grimtooth’s books produced, and all of them are usable with any RPG. Five of the seven volumes were traps-focused, and for the first time ever, these magnificent engines of player-character destruction are collected in an officially-licensed hardback collector’s volume suitable for both presentation and play. If you play any fantasy role playing game, of any edition, this collection will challenge your players in ways they will never see coming! (All right, you got it now? Let’s move on…)
OK, so what’s in my new book? Grimtooth’s Ultimate Traps Collection contains the following:
- Exact reproductions of Grimtooth’s Traps, Traps Too, Traps Fore, Traps Ate, and Traps Lite. These five books are scanned from the recent printed editions and collected together in one volume. Collectively these comprise 400+ pages and more than 500 traps.
- A foreword by dungeon designer Harley Stroh, author of dozens of Dungeon Crawl Classics adventures.
- An interview with the original Grimtooth’s design team of Steve Crompton, Rick Loomis, Paul Ryan O’Connor, and Bear Peters, conducted by Jim Wampler. Learn the perspective of the original creators as to why this book was such a milestone when it came on to the scene as the first book of traps in the industry’s history, and one of the very first RPG supplements to be written “in-character.” Oh…and of course they interviewed me as well. After all, I am the most important thing about these books.
- A look at the submissions process. For more than three decades, a dusty box atop Rick Loomis’ file cabinet in the Flying Buffalo headquarters has housed the flood of traps submissions. As longtime fans know, many of the original Grimtooth traps were submitted by the general public. This mysterious box is finally documented in photographic form, and several traps that started as fan submissions are shown in their original “fan letter” submission form prior to publication. Then the submissions box is opened up and, for the first time since the late 1990’s, the contents are reviewed and fan-submitted traps are selected for publication! Which leads to…
- …New traps! A bonus traps chapter includes a selection of new, never-before-seen, recently-discovered tragic tricks, devious devices, fearsome foes, complicated calamities and sneaky scenarios from the one and only Grimtooth! (That’s me!) These are collected from fan submissions, as well as new contributions by veteran Grimtooth collaborators, including Ken St. Andre, creator of Tunnels & Trolls.
- The Grimtooth’s Traps board game. It's a silly idea based on the Candyland concept, and a fun warm-up game while you’re waiting for your RPG group to show up. Originally a seed idea in a 1990’s Grimtooth brainstorming session, this design is now finally fleshed out. With sufficient funding the board game will be presented as a gatefold page so you can actually fold out the board and play Grimtooth’s Game of Traps from the book!
- Cover art gallery. Did you know my Grimtooth’s Traps has been translated into French, German, and even Swedish? And the original Traps has been through seven slightly different editions, with a number of cover variations? With sufficient funding, this cover gallery will be presented in full color!
- And other behind-the-scenes ephemera. A variety of rare art (including the first publication ever of the Jeff Dee line art used for the cover of Traps Too), a complete index of all five traps volumes, an accounting of every Grimtooth’s print run, and more fun things to better acquaint us all with the history of the Grimtooth family.
Let me show you what you’re getting here, chum… Here are three PDF previews of the book:
- The first 10 trap pages of the original Grimtooth’s Traps.The book that started it all!
- Behind the scenes: An excerpt from the interview with the original creators.
- The making of a trap: As we uncover the mysterious box of submissions for Grimtooth’s Traps, we also include some examples of fan letters and how they were answered by me (and in some cases, turned into published material). Here’s an excerpt.
The book is 460 pages long – so that ought to be plenty, even for you greedy humans.
By the way, this book is done and ready to be printed! My slaves have already completed this great project. The content for the book is written, edited, illustrated, and laid out. What remains is the printing, and that’s where you humans come in. My associates at Goodman Games have set the funding goal to print in hardcover with Smythe-sewn binding. This is a durable process where the spine is actually sewn to the pages, not just glued as with many RPG products. (There’s nothing like sewing a spine into your book!) This binding will last for decades of use. With sufficient funding we can offer a variety of formats, as well as the specialized production values outlined as stretch goals below!
Add-On Copies of the Dungeon Crawl Classics / Grimtooth Crossover: Based on the stretch goals achieved so far, we will be creating a Dungeon Crawl Classics module featuring Grimtooth. This will be given in PDF form to all backers. If you would like a print version, add $10 to your pledge!
Tell me about the stretch goals (I love that term…): Certainly! A 460-page hardcover book of my peerless prose and ingenious designs is impressive on its own. But in addition, we’d like to include these features (assuming enough of you bribe us sufficiently):
- At $23,000, printed endsheets. FUNDED! The endsheets are the 11”x17” pages that are on the inside board of a hardcover. We’d like to print these with scenes of Grimtooth, Grimtina, and their nefarious deeds. (An extra picture of me and Grimtina? This is a must-have!)
- At $27,000, a gatefold page with Grimtooth’s Game of Traps. FUNDED! The Grimtooth’s board game requires an 11”x17” page to properly display. At this funding level we will include a fold-out page (a gatefold) in the hardcover so you can read about the board game, then fold out the next page to actually play it!
- At $32,000, color cover gallery: FUNDED! The 8-page cover gallery in the hardcover will be printed in full color, allowing a better representation of the history of Grimtooth’s covers in both English and a variety of other languages. (See Traps history in full, bloody color!)
At $38,000, a satin ribbon bookmark bound into the hardcover spine: FUNDED! Because with 500+ traps, sometimes you need to save your place. (My sister Grimtina insisted on this idea, so here it is.) Maybe we'll even throw in two bookmarks. Because with 500+ traps, sometimes you need to remember where two traps are! (And my sister likes satin.)
- At $45,000, a Grimtooth art print: FUNDED! Who says trolls can't be attractive? Decorate your gamer den with this 8.5"x11" fine print of a classic Grimtooth trap image, which will arrive tucked inside the cover of the hardcover.
- At $53,000, a Kickstarter-exclusive retro dust jacket: FUNDED! At this level, all hardcovers fulfilled as part of the Kickstarter will be wrapped in a dust jacket with a retro design that resembles the very first printing of Grimtooth’s Traps – the original “gray cover” edition, with blue line art on a gray background. (Use it to protect this precious tome!)
- At $62,000, a Dungeon Crawl Classics module featuring Grimtooth: FUNDED! It’s the collaboration you’ve always wanted: a dungeon crawl into Grimtooth’s own domain. Co-written by Dungeon Crawl Classics author Jobe Bittman and primary Grimtooth illustrator Steve Crompton, this DCC module will be produced “in the DCC style” and distributed in PDF form to all hardcover backers at this funding level. (Don’t worry, though. I’ll be throwing in my suggestions and stellar commentary as well.)
- At $98,000, a color poster of Grimtina included in the book. FUNDED! As announced by Grimtina herself in her recent surprise update!
- At $100,000, we will expand the PDF edition of Grimtooth’s Ultimate Traps (which all backers already receive) to also include Traps Bazaar and Dungeon of Doom. FUNDED! There is a considerable amount of back-end scanning and cleanup work involved in getting this material ready, and we’ll get started on that work the moment we pass $100k.
- At $110,000, we will insert an 11”x17” folded cardboard game-board into the book: FUNDED! So you can more easily play the Grimtooth’s Traps Board Game! An actual “board” for the game, if you will. On the back will be game cards and other materials to photocopy and use in play! The gatefold pages will still be included, and this game board should make it easier to actually play.
- At $115,000, we will upgrade all gold foil and leatherbound editions to include approximately +80 pages of Traps Bazaar! FUNDED! The softcover and “regular” hardcover will still be the existing 460 pages, but all gold foil and leatherbound editions will get an extra ~80 pages at no additional cost beyond the existing pledge cost!
- At $120,000, we will manufacture a custom-printed, illustrated, corrugated shipping box to deliver the books in. FUNDED! Some of you saw what we did with the Metamorphosis Alpha shipping box – this will be similar. It’s a really fun way to get a package in the mail, and will only be available to backers of this Kickstarter.
- At $130,000, we will upgrade all gold foil and leatherbound editions to include the extra +160 pages of Traps Bazaar and Dungeon of Doom! FUNDED! The softcover and “regular” hardcover will still be the existing 460 pages, but all gold foil and leatherbound editions will get an extra 160 pages at no additional cost beyond the existing pledge cost!
What’s beyond that? Don’t worry, we have even more ideas for awesome stretch goals! We’d like to print the DCC module and tuck it inside the hardcover for all backers. We’d love to include a full-length poster of the lovely Grimtina (and maybe her brother Grimtooth) and tuck that poster folded-up inside the back of every hardcover. And I’m sure you have ideas too – as the project rolls along we’ll solicit your feedback. Let’s blow away all the stretch goals and get into the really fun territory of “what else can we add to this thing?”
I suppose you’ll want to know the pledge levels. No doubt this book will be used in different ways by you humans. Some GMs will use it in games, some readers will use it to reminisce, and some collectors will never open it. Therefore, I’ve ordered Goodman Games to offer several options for pledge levels, which are listed at right. They include softcover, hardcover, gold foil hardcover, slipcased edition, real leather edition -- and even some versions with autograph pages and original art!
Shipping & handling: Shipping and handling charges will be invoiced at the end of the Kickstarter. This allows us to give you the best price for your order. We will invoice the orders via Paypal when items are ready to ship. For USA orders, orders will be shipped via media mail at an expected cost of approximately $5-8, depending on final weight of product. International shipping charges can vary widely. If you are unsure how expensive international shipping can be, please ask us for an estimate.
SHOW YOUR SUPPORT! Use the backer image below for your profile!
So there you are – what are you waiting for? Start pledging, or I’ll send Spike the Grimdog to come “fetch” you…
Grimtooth's Traps is a trademark of Flying Buffalo Inc and is used with permission.
Risks and challenges
Goodman Games has published RPG's for more than a decade, and we have a strong track record of delivering on our promises. For this Kickstarter, we have already completed all work on the book content. Any stretch goals or add-ons will be the only additional work required before sending the book into production. We work with several trusted printers who have we have longstanding relationships with. Overall we see little risk in terms of ability to delivery. The only risks could perhaps be timing, if stretch goals take longer than expected or a printer has a very full schedule.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (25 days)