Thanks everyone for a great Kickstarter! The final product is better for your participation. Our Fifth Edition Fantasy line will end up with four new adventures based on this Kickstarter - when we only planned for two. Thanks for clearing all those stretch goals! It's been a blast and we really appreciate your support.
If you missed the Kickstarter, you can visit our web site for more information on pre-orders.
And for those who didn't already see it, here is the cover art for Fifth Edition Fantasy #5: Into the Dragon's Maw, one of the stretch goal modules you helped create! The other one is Fifth EditionFantasy #6: Fantastic Encounters, a book of drop-in encounters.
Goodman Games is very excited to support the world’s first fantasy role playing game in its fifth edition! This Kickstarter expands our ongoing Fifth Edition Fantasy line with two new adventure modules, and possibly a third for Free RPG Day!
Goodman Games is the only third party publisher to continuously support Dungeons & Dragons in every edition since 3E. Since the earliest days of the Open Game License and D20 License, we have published compatible materials for 3.0, 3.5, and 4E – and even the occasional 1E module as a convention special. And now it’s time for 5E!
Summary of Kickstarter:
- This Kickstarter funds the publication of two adventure modules for our Fifth Edition Fantasy line. With stretch goals, we would also like to give backers a third adventure from our Free RPG Day release.
- The format for our Fifth Edition Fantasy modules is short, 16- to 32-page modules playable in a few sessions. They are stand-alone, world-neutral, and easy to integrate into your ongoing campaign.
- Depending on funding levels and stretch goals cleared, the adventures may be enhanced with additional content, including bonus encounters and setting material.
- Finally, we would like your feedback on what YOU want for Fifth Edition. We invite backers to comment on what they would like Goodman Games to publish for our next 5E Kickstarter!
Fifth Edition Fantasy is Here!
Our new line of 5E modules is called simply Fifth Edition Fantasy. Authored by well-known adventure designers Michael Curtis and Chris Doyle (each with more than a dozen published adventures under his belt), these adventures combine the streamlined game mechanics of 5E with challenging scenarios explicitly designed to appeal to both long-time gamers and neonates alike. Each adventure includes new races, backgrounds, monsters, spells, and magical items suitable for any 5E campaign.
What are the goals of this Kickstarter? We have four goals with this Kickstarter:
1. Launch the next two Fifth Edition Fantasy modules. These are FEF #3: The Pillars of Pelagia (by Chris Doyle) and FEF #4: War-lock (by Michael Curtis). Depending on stretch goals achieved, they may be expanded with new encounters and even more content.
2. Offer our first two 5E adventures to Kickstarter backers. If you haven’t already purchased them from your local store, you can add on to your pledge with the second printings of FEF #1: Glitterdoom (by Michael Curtis) and FEF #2: The Fey Sisters’ Fate (by Chris Doyle).
3. Listen to your feedback on 5E. Each edition of Dungeons & Dragons is different, with different player and DM needs. As you support this Kickstarter, we’d love to hear what you want from us in our next 5E project.
4. Give away a free 5E module on Free RPG Day. Yes, you read that right! The ultimate stretch goal for this Kickstarter is to create an entirely new adventure, which will be free to all backers and also printed for free distribution on Free RPG Day! Fifth Edition Fantasy #5 – for free! That’s 5 F words in the tagline and the last is “free” – has a good ring to it, don’t you think?
Tell Me About the Adventures!
Certainly! The Goodman Games web site is updated with detailed information on each printed adventure, including some previews and early reviews. Here are links with art, previews, reviews, and more information:
- Fifth Edition Fantasy #1: Glitterdoom
- Fifth Edition Fantasy #2: The Fey Sisters’ Fate
- Fifth Edition Fantasy #3: The Pillars of Pelagia
- Fifth Edition Fantasy #4: War-lock
How long will these take to write? The adventures are already written and edited. All maps and interior art are complete, and layout will begin the moment this Kickstarter concludes and we know how much bonus content we can print. Goodman Games has a strong track record of delivering on our promises, and this Kickstarter will continue that record.
How can I support the Kickstarter? You can pledge for the adventure modules, of course! Our pledge levels allow for funding of the two new Fifth Edition Fantasy modules, plus add-ons of the two already-published Fifth Edition Fantasy modules.
What makes our adventures special? After publishing more than 100 modules continuously for over a decade, Goodman Games has developed a reputation for a clear perspective on fantasy adventure:
- Our adventure content focuses on unique encounters with unexpected dangers, memorable scenes that conjure strong visuals in the players’ minds, and non-clichéd plots.
- Our modules are meant to be played, not just to be read. They are structured as short adventures designed to be gamed “in real life” over a few sessions. You can fit these adventures into your busy lifestyle.
- Our adventures are designed to be great adventures – and not something else. You won’t find our adventures to be thinly veiled attempts to publish an appendix of “crunchy bits.” Sure, we include some new material, but our primary goal is to ensure that you and your friends have fun playing the adventure. You’ll walk away with great memories of your game sessions. That’s our promise and that’s what we deliver on.
- Our writers are battle-tested and experienced, and it shows in the content. We know that running a published adventure is different from running one of your own creation. You’ll find it easy to integrate our modules into your campaigns because we know how to keep them world-neutral, stand-alone, and easy to ramp up fast.
- All of our adventures are playtested thoroughly before publication. We believe they play as well or better than how they read. The adventures for this Kickstarter were written months ago, and were playtested long before the Kickstarter was launched. We’re not “racing against the Kickstarter” to write the adventures.
What support is offered? “This isn’t our first rodeo,” as the old saying goes. Having published adventures for the third and fourth editions of the game, we’ve learned a few things. Here’s what you can expect as a buyer of our 5E products:
- Download codes in print products: All of our 5E adventures include a printed code that allows you to download a PDF edition of the module. This allows us to keep the electronic edition current, and you can receive any update seamlessly. (Note: The codes in our first two modules were unfortunately posted to an online pirate site, so future modules will feature randomized codes different in each copy. If you find the download codes from the first two modules don’t work for you, please email us for assistance.)
- Continuous updates: As we learned publishing modules in the transition from 3.0 to 3.5, and the later revisions to 4E, the game can evolve in a way that makes earlier material less relevant. We will update the PDF editions of our modules to stay current (as we have already done with the PDF editions of our first two 5E modules). As a print purchaser, you have ongoing access to these PDF updates.
- Multiple printings: Our adventures have always proven quite popular, and frequently sell out. Whenever we reprint an adventure, we do another editorial pass to correct any minor typos, rules updates, or updated playtest feedback. For the first two 5E modules, you’ll be receiving the second printing, which is already updated with revisions from the first printing.
- Ongoing support: Have a question or comment? You can find us. Over more than a decade we have built a reputation for responsiveness to customers. And we love to game with you at cons! Last year, you could find our crew at DunDraCon, TotalCon, Coscon, GaryCon, MepaCon, ConGlomeration, North Texas RPG Convention, Origins, DexCon, KantCon, Gen Con, Tacticon, Pacificon, GrandCon, Necronomicon, Con on the Cob, Gamehole Con, TsunamiCon, U-Con, Post-Apocalypticon, and Marmalade Dog. You’ll find us on the con circuit again this year. Come game with us! And if you have a local con we missed, let us know!
Help us make these modules even more awesome! With sufficient funding, we intend to expand our FEF line with a bunch of new stretch goals. Here's the confirmed and still-to-be-decided stretch goals:
FIRST STRETCH GOAL CLEARED! Starting at $7,000, we will expand Fifth Edition Fantasy #3: The Pillars of Pelagia with several new encounters. These encounters give the PCs more interesting places and creatures to encounter as they explore the adventure site. At $7000 and each $1000 thereafter we will add in one of the five new encounters:
- Area 2-2: The Winding Path STRETCH GOAL CLEARED! AREA ADDED!
- Area 2-3: Morella’s Lair STRETCH GOAL CLEARED! AREA ADDED!
- Area 3-4: The Laboratory STRETCH GOAL CLEARED! AREA ADDED!
- Area 4-4: The Dock STRETCH GOAL CLEARED! AREA ADDED!
- Area 4-5: The Hidden Grotto STRETCH GOAL CLEARED! AREA ADDED!
SECOND STRETCH GOAL CLEARED! Starting at $12,000, we will expand Fifth Edition Fantasy #4: War-lock with additional encounters. At $12000 and each $1000 thereafter we will add in new material as follows:
- Approximately 10 short random wilderness encounters in the hex-crawl through the badlands STRETCH GOAL CLEARED! ENCOUNTERS ADDED!
- Two additional monster lairs in the final series of encounters STRETCH GOAL CLEARED! MONSTER LAIRS ADDED!
- A full map and description for the Rusted Gorgon Inn STRETCH GOAL CLEARED! THE INN IS ADDED!
- A mini-gazetteer of the badlands hex-crawl with new locations, lairs, mini-dungeons, outlaw hideouts, and other such things. STRETCH GOAL CLEARED! THE MINI GAZETTEER IS ADDED!
THIRD STRETCH GOAL CLEARED! At $15,000, we are adding Fifth Edition Fantasy #5: Into The Dragon’s Maw! This entirely new adventure will be added for Free RPG Day release nationwide. All backers will receive a free PDF, with an option to add on the print edition for +$10. (It’s free on Free RPG Day if you live near a participating store, of course!)
FOURTH STRETCH GOAL CLEARED! All 7 handouts added! At $18,000, we are adding additional player handouts to Fifth Edition Fantasy #3: Pillars of Pelagia – up to 7 handouts depending on funding level. Longtime D&D fans surely remember the classic book of handouts from Tomb of Horrors. Something like that is our goal here.
And for every 50 backers, we are adding a free drop-in encounter! Drop-in encounters were a clear “favorite” in our unofficial survey, right up there behind adventures. For every 50 backers, we’ll publish a new drop-in encounter useful for any 5E campaign: encounters while traveling on a road, while camping, while at an inn, while in a castle, while exploring the underdark, etc. All backers will receive a PDF copy of this new product, Fifth Edition Fantasy: Fantastic Encounters! (tentative title, may change)
As we update this on May 23, we have 574 backers, so the Fantastic Encounters product will include at least 11 new encounters. And that number will grow as we add more backers.
And what's past that? Let's see how the Kickstarter does - and see what other cool ideas you have for adding to it! It certainly seems reasonable to add on a print edition of Fifth Edition Fantasy: Fantastic Encounters...
Shipping & Handling
- For US customers, shipping and handling is a flat $5 whether you order one module or all four.
- For international customers, shipping and handling charges will be invoiced at the end of the Kickstarter. International postage can vary widely, and this process allows us to give you the best price for your order. We will invoice the orders via Paypal when items are ready to ship. Here are estimated shipping costs, depending on number of items ordered: Canada $10-$14; Europe, Australia, and rest of world: $13-$20
Fifth Edition Fantasy is here, and this is your chance to be part of it from the beginning. We appreciate your support!
Risks and challenges
Goodman Games has published more than 200 games over the last decade, and fulfilled a half-dozen Kickstarters over the last year. We see the biggest risk as being the possibility that we keep adding more awesome content to the books, which may delay their delivery past the original promised date. That has happened in the past, and our backers have loved it!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)