Update 8/10: WOW. The tenth stretch goal was surpassed in a day. "Escape from the Purple Planet" is a now a 0-level funnel to be included with every order! That's amazing. And that leads us to the final stretch goal. This time for real (since we keep passing the "final" stretch goals we set). If we break $60k by the end of this Kickstarter, every boxed set will include a black velvet blacklight-sensitive DCC RPG poster. You read that right. Check out update #16 for the full details!
Help us get to this final goal! Here are the ways you can add on to your current pledge:
- Upgrade your boxed set to the Author's Edition. Not sure what that is? Read update #15 and look for the legendary Purple Ticket!
- Add on other modules from the DCC line, most at 20% off! (see main KS text below)
- Add on the DCC RPG slipcover edition, if you don't already have it. (see main KS text below)
- Add on some of the point-five modules (see update #9).
- Add on a Purple Planet poster or collectible button (see update #9).
- Add on a copy of our just-announced Gen Con releases: DCC #82.5: Dragora's Dungeon ($10) or the 2014 Gen Con Program Guide ($20), which includes a lot of DCC content (including the mini-adventure The Emerald Enchanter Strikes Back).
- Add on a Purple Planet player's guide for each of your players ($5 each)
- Upgrade your boxed set pledge to the author's edition. Also known as the "Harley's playground edition," this version of the boxed set will include some additional content. And maybe something else special, we'll see!
As a reminder, here is what you are currently getting for a $50 pledge!
- A boxed set that contains:
- Peril on the Purple Planet, the adventure module with an amazing three-panel wraparound cover and a three-panel fold-out gatefold map.
- Tombs of the Ancients, containing five mini-dungeons to be explored on the Purple Planet.
- Lost Tech of the Ancients, which contains an array of lost technology to be discovered on the atavistic Purple Planet.
- Bestiary on the Purple Planet, which contains a plethora of new enemies for your characters to battle in their explorations.
- Ecology of the Kith, with additional material on the bestial hordes that savage the purple plains, their ascendant masters, their glorious past, their degenerate present, and their refugee tribes.
- Mysteries of the Purple Planet, detailing at least 50 adventure hooks and random encounters, to give the judge inspiration for side treks, explorations, and entirely different adventures on the Purple Planet
- A book of handouts depicting scenes of the Purple Planet
- Magic of the Purple Planet. The reach of deities and patrons is not infinite, and the constellations familiar to terrestrial wizards are not easily located in the skies of the Purple Planet. So too are there great powers in the tech-laden world of the Purple Planet, whose mystical leanings are awakened by the arrival of the PCs…
- The Purple Underplanet, describing adventures beneath the surface of the Purple Planet: monsters and races that have sought shelter from the weirdling sun, and their treasures and lairs
- A custom-printed three-panel Purple Planet judge's screen
- The 0-level adventure "Escape from the Purple Planet"
Wow. All that for $50. Tell your friends! Also tell them about the Spellburn interview that Harley conducted, which is a great overview of the project!
Finally, a note on Gen Con pickup. Some of you know this already, but if you're a new backer and are not aware, you can pick up part of your pledge at Gen Con! Read update 11 for details on Gen Con pickup.
Please spread the word and let's make the purple planet EPIC!
Summary of Kickstarter:
- A Dungeon Crawl Classics adventure module of planetary scope – at level 4. The adventure flings your characters to adventures on a distant world dying slowly under a weirdling sun.
- The basic pledge funds print+PDF copy of a boxed set containing Harley Stroh’s 32-page adventure module, plus a second 32-page campaign booklet – and possibly more depending on stretch goals.
- The first softcover book is the adventure module Peril on the Purple Planet, which has two built-in special features. First, the cover art is oversized, and spreads across front and back cover in addition to wrapping around to front and back flaps. The flaps also double as player handouts when folded out to face the table. Second, the adventure map is a three-page-wide hex crawl, which folds out of the module center as a three-panel gatefold. Additionally, the adventure includes a number of B/W interior handouts to show the players what they face on the Purple Planet.
- The second softcover book is a campaign booklet to expand your journey on the Purple Planet. At the basic pledge level, before any stretch goals, it includes three chapters: Lost Tombs of the Ancients, Bestiary of the Purple Planet, and Lost Tech of the Purple Planet, with contributions from Daniel J. Bishop, Tim Callahan, Edgar Johnson, and Terry Olson.
- You can support this Kickstarter by adding on other adventure modules from the Dungeon Crawl Classics line, most of which are on sale for 20% off as part of this Kickstarter. You can also add on Purple Planet Player Guides at $5 each.
- Stretch goals for this project will put even more items into the boxed set! These include the possibility of an ecology book, additional encounters, a book of handouts, a book of magic, a custom GM screen, and a guide to the Purple Underplanet!
- The basic adventure module is complete and ready to print. All writing, art, and layout is complete. The additional writing for the campaign booklet is also complete. Art and layout for the campaign booklet will begin when this Kickstarter funds.
We expect PDF copy of the module to be available shortly before Gen Con, and print copy to be available at Gen Con or shipped soon after (depending on backer preference). If we have extra copies remaining at Gen Con after all Kickstarter pickups, they will be offered to the general public.
To The Purple Planet!
In Peril on the Purple Planet, the characters are cast across the cosmos to a foreign world. Left to die beneath a weirdling sun and its sickening rays, the PCs’ survival depends as much upon their quick wit as a quick blade, as even the finest chain hauberk must fail beneath the crush of an alien horde.
A level 4 exploration-style adventure spanning scores of leagues, the party must contend with hundreds of miles of alien wasteland, the predatory creatures of the Purple Planet, deadly mushroom jungles, and thousands of factious savage man-beasts locked in an endless war.
In the course of the sprawling hex-crawl, the PCs will have the opportunity to assume mastery of their own warbands or pit faction against faction, plumb ancient burial mounds or respect the age-old taboos, and experiment with deadly artifacts – the remnants of the Last War. How the PCs meet each challenge will determine whether they discover the secrets to returning home, or slip beneath the sands of the wastes, succumbing to the perils of the Purple Planet.
But for those few with the courage to remain, we offer a world for the conquering.
About the Product
This Kickstarter is to raise funds to produce Peril on the Purple Planet as a boxed set. The boxed set will include the adventure module, an additional campaign booklet, and potentially more items depending on funding level.
The adventure module itself is a 32-page book with two special features. First, there is a gatefold at the center, so the centerfold folds out a to 3-panel wide oversized page that contains the map. Second, the cover features 5” flaps that fold around. Each flap is not just beautiful art, but also doubles as a player handout. These two printing features are expensive and would warrant a Kickstarter on their own.
Based on the success of Dungeon Crawl Classics: The Chained Coffin, we have expanded the scope of this project to also include a boxed set and campaign booklet. Written by Daniel J. Bishop, Tim Callahan, Edgar Johnson, and Terry Olson, the campaign booklet provides additional adventures on the Purple Planet in three gripping chapters:
- Tombs of the Ancients, which contains four mini-dungeons to be explored on the Purple Planet.
- Lost Tech of the Ancients, which contains an array of lost technology to be discovered on the atavistic Purple Planet.
of the Purple Planet, which contains a plethora of new enemies for your
characters to battle in their explorations.
These materials will be packaged in a full-color custom box. Depending on stretch goals achieved, there may be additional materials in the boxed set.
Project status: The adventure module is written, edited, illustrated, laid out, and ready for the printer. The campaign booklet is written and entering editing soon.
Add On Player Guides at $5 Each
Additionally, this Kickstarter includes the option to add player guides. Each player guide is $5. The player guide is a B/W booklet 8 pages long that includes a custom Purple Planet character sheet, key handouts with room for player notes, a copy of the player map, space to record stats for the creatures and items the players will encounter, and more.
Add On Other DCC Modules and Save 20%!
Update 8/3: The add-on options now include the point-five modules! If you missed DCC #76.5, 77.5, 79.5, 80.5, or our 2013 holiday module, here is your chance to add them on. Along with a Purple Planet poster and other options! Read update #9 for the full details!
To support this Kickstarter, we are offering printed copies of the older Dungeon Crawl Classics modules at a special sale price of 20% off. That's $8 each versus the regular price of $10 each. You can also include the DCC RPG core rules for $40, and copies of the newer adventure modules at the regular price of $10 each. All products ordered through this Kickstarter receive a PDF copy as well.
To add on these items, simply include the additional dollars in your pledge. At the end of the Kickstarter we will send a survey where you can specify exactly which modules the funds were added for:
- DCC #66.5: Doom of the Savage Kings (2nd printing) ($10)
- DCC #67: Sailors on the Starless Sea (20% off: only $8)
- DCC #68: People of the Pit (20% off: only $8)
- DCC #69: The Emerald Enchanter (20% off: only $8)
- DCC #70: Jewels of the Carnifex (20% off: only $8)
- DCC #71: The 13th Skull, color cover (20% off: only $8)
- DCC #71: The 13th Skull, silver foil cover (20% off: only $16)
- DCC #72: Beyond the Black Gate (20% off: only $8)
- DCC #73: Emirikol Was Framed (20% off: only $8)
- DCC #74: Blades Against Death (20% off: only $8)
- DCC #75: The Sea Queen Escapes (20% off: only $8)
- DCC #76: Colossus, Arise! (20% off: only $8)
- DCC #77: The Croaking Fane (20% off: only $8)
- DCC #78: Fate's Fell Hand (20% off: only $8)
- DCC #79: Frozen in Time (20% off: only $8)
- DCC #80: Intrigue at the Courts of Chaos ($10)
- DCC #81: The One Who Watches From Below ($10)
- DCC #82: Bride of the Black Manse ($10)
- DCC RPG core rulebook ($40)
- DCC RPG slipcover edition ($60)
Update 8/5: The project has passed its ninth stretch goal! The boxed set will include a GM screen specific to the Purple Planet! This is on top of all the previous stretch goals: The Purple Underplanet, Magic of the Purple Planet, Mysteries of the Purple Planet detailing at least 50 adventure hooks and random encounters, the 12 pages of player handouts, the expanded Ecology of the Kith, and the Tombs of the Ancients chapter in the campaign guide that is being expanded with a fifth mini-dungeon! Now on to stretch goal #9, which is the custom judge's screen!
Peril on the Purple Planet is a concise adventure that can expand to planetary scope. If this Kickstarter exceeds expectations we hope to broaden the project as follows:
Stretch goal #1 at $12,000: FUNDED! The Tombs of the Ancients chapter in the campaign guide will be expanded with a fifth mini-dungeon.
Stretch goal #2 at $15,000: FUNDED! A third booklet will be added to the boxed set. Ecology of the Kith will be 8+ pages of additional material on the bestial hordes that savage the purple plains, their ascendant masters, their glorious past, their degenerate present, and the refugee tribes.
Stretch goal #3 at $17,000: FUNDED! A short folio will be added to the boxed set: Mysteries of the Purple Planet will detail at least 50 adventure hooks and random encounters, to give the judge inspiration for side treks, explorations, and entirely different adventures on the Purple Planet.
Stretch goal #4 at $20,000: FUNDED! A book of handouts will be added to the boxed set, featuring at least 8 pages of additional illustrations to show the characters visually the creatures and scenes of the Purple Planet.
Stretch goal #5 at $22,000: FUNDED! The Ecology of the Kith will be expanded to 16+ pages, with detail on the legendary third House, long since vanished from the surface of the planet. Or is it?
Stretch goal #6 at $25,000: FUNDED! The book of handouts will be expanded to 12+ pages.
Stretch goal #7 at $29,000: FUNDED! The boxed set will be expanded to include another booklet, Magic of the Purple Planet. The reach of deities and patrons is not infinite, and the constellations familiar to terrestrial wizards are not easily located in the skies of the Purple Planet. So too are there great powers in the tech-laden world of the Purple Planet, whose mystical leanings are awakened by the arrival of the PCs…
Stretch goal #8 at $33,000: FUNDED! The boxed set will be expanded to include another booklet, The Purple Underplanet, describing adventures beneath the surface of the Purple Planet: monsters and races that have sought shelter from the weirdling sun, and their treasures and lairs.
Stretch goal #9 at $38,000: FUNDED! The boxed set will include a custom-printed Purple Planet judge’s screen. The front will feature Doug’s amazing art. The reverse includes 3 panels of tables, stats, and reference specific to the Purple Planet.
Appendix N Inspirations
Peril on the Purple Planet was born from the same Sword & Planet sources that inspired Edgar Rice Burroughs’ Barsoom series and Robert E. Howard’s Almuric. In these seminal works, an “earthman” awakens on a foreign planet. The mysteries of the new world are slowly revealed as he explores the hostile environs, and the fate of the protagonist hinges on his or her ability to turn these secrets to his advantage.
In Peril on the Purple Planet, ancient technologies lie hidden in ancestor tombs and beneath the shifting sands of the wastes. In the hands of the man-beasts these are religious icons, but wielded by the PCs they become weapons of destruction. The sweltering mushroom jungles hold the secrets to both life and death, and the endless wastes conceal some of the greatest treasures of all.
All of these are left to PCs to discover, as they make their way through the foreign landscape, pitting blade against claw, spell against laser, and cunning against the brutality of the dying planet.
The adventure module is complete and ready for printing. It will be sent to the printer the moment this Kickstarter funds, and the PDF edition of the adventure module will be available a few weeks after that.
Our goal is to have advance copies of the book available for pickup by backers at Gen Con. Assuming the printer is able to hit that deadline, backers who pick up at Gen Con will not have to pay shipping charges for the adventure module. The boxed set and campaign setting (and stretch goals) will not be ready by Gen Con, so Gen Con backers will still have to pay some level of shipping charges for those materials.
If we have extra copies of the module at Gen Con after fulfilling all backer requests for pickup, we will offer those for sale to the general public.
Backer copies for those not at the con, plus copies of the additional materials for those who picked up the module at Gen Con, are estimated to ship in November when all materials are complete.
Shipping & handling: Shipping and handling charges will be invoiced at the end of the Kickstarter. This allows us to give you the best price for your order. We will invoice the orders via Paypal when items are ready to ship. For USA orders, orders will be shipped via media mail at an expected cost of approximately $8-10, depending on final weight of product. International orders will be invoiced at actual postage cost plus $5 for handling. International postage requires hand-written customs forms, and waiting in line at a post office. International postage also has long transit times, and depending on the destination can be very expensive. If you are unsure how expensive international shipping can be, please ask us for an estimate.
About the Author
At the age of 8, Harley Stroh lost his first PC to pit-rats in the Caves of Chaos. Author of 40-odd adventures, short stories, articles and supplements, he has survived urban camping with Doug Kovacs, studied saber-fencing with a Polish mystic, and ollied through a pane of sugar-glass. Harley spends his free time recovering from skateboarding injuries, playing with his 8-month old daughter, and hiking the Rocking Mountains with Lady and the Hound of Hirot. His next DCC projects are Journey to the Center of Áereth and the long-awaited Punjar city set.
Risks and challenges
Goodman Games has published hundreds of RPG products. We do not foresee risk to delivery. The worst possible risk is delays associated with printer issues.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (31 days)