Starburns Presents Comics Comics #1 by Patton Oswalt & pals!
The Comic-est anthology of 2018! Comedians love comic books, cartoonists love comedy, and our idiot editor always mixes up comics who tell jokes and comics that have pictures. Now his perpetual confusion has led to the creation of Comics Comics, a quarterly anthology teaming comedy’s best with funny books’ brightest!
Comedy meets Comic Books in this eclectic anthology featuring such voices as Patton Oswalt (MST3K, Happy!), Paul Scheer (How Did This Get Made?, The League), Sam Jay (SNL), Jackie Kashian (The Dork Forest), Quinta Brunson (Broke, Up for Adoption), Megan Koester (Coming to the Stage, Corporate), Sara Benincasa (Real Artists Have Day Jobs), Eliot Rahal (New Comic Book Day), Rose Matafeo (Funny Girls), Nick Giovannetti (Bad Guys), and more.
Teaming up to make these stories into comics are such hilarious cartoonists as Troy Nixey (Vinegar Teeth, The Black Sinister), Robert Hack (Chilling Adventures of Sabrina), Evan Dorkin (Milk and Cheese, Bill and Ted’s Excellent Comic Book), Tania Del Rio (Marvel: Now What?!, Sonic the Hedgehog), Brent Schoonover (Gregory Graves), Sarah Burrini (Nerd Girl), Rick Altergott (Vice, Cracked), and more, with double threats like comedian/cartoonist Carolyn Main (Pitch, Please!) writing and drawing!
Issue #1 includes 48 pages of brand-new stories written by a wide array of stand-up comedians, including headliners, cult favorites, and newcomers, and drawn by artists from every corner of the comics world, from alternative to underground to superhero.
Comics Comics’ comedians got the freedom to write whatever they want, in any genre—with comedy or not—and they took us up on it, delivering slices of life, flights of fancy, and journeys into genre, all with the unique worldview of people who stand in front of crowds and dissect the world into a microphone for a living.
But don't take our word for it. Here's what some of the comedians in Comics Comics have to say:
SBI Press is a new publisher, and we need your backing to help spread the word, show stores there’s demand, and get us access to the top talent in both comedy and comics, so we can share them with you. The book is underway, but we need funding to finish it and get started on issue #2. By backing Comics Comics, you help us hire comedians from all over the world and reaching all the way up to the A-List, as well as cartoonists ranging from the most indie voices to veterans of DC and Marvel, and you allow us to print, ship, and promote it, so we can keep making Comics Comics.
About The Team
The biggest comics nerds in comedy team with the biggest comedy nerds in comics!
Issue #1 is:
- Real Life World’s Finest, by Patton Oswalt, Troy Nixey, and Michelle Madsen
- Unlikely Patriot, by Jackie Kashian, Sarah Burrini, M. Victoria Robado, and Sal Cipriano
- The Pill and Stuff, by Sara Benincasa, Tania Del Rio, Jio Butler, and Taylor Esposito
- Popular Fiction, by Eliot Rahal, Evan Dorkin, and Sarah Dyer
- Poop Knife, by Carolyn Main and Crank!
- Sassy Best Friend, by Rose Matafeo, Robert Hack, and Micah Myers
Future issues will include:
Comedians Paul Scheer, Nick Giovannetti, Sam Jay, Megan Koester, Quinta Brunson, cartoonists Brent Schoonover and Rick Altergott, and more to be announced soon!
Sample pages from this issue:
By pledging to our campaign, you can get:
- The 56-page digital edition of Comics Comics #1, fulfilled through Comixology.
- The 56 page print edition of Comics Comics #1.
- The Kickstarter-exclusive "underground" edition Comix Comix #1, with black-and-white cover and a Tijuana Bible written by Dino Stamatopoulos (Community)
- The Kickstarter-exclusive hardcover edition of Comics Comics #1.
- Starburns Industries Press Comic Pack, featuring Comics Comics #1, Gregory Graves vol. 1: Interview with a Supervillain (by Dan Harmon, Eric M. Esquivel, Brent Schoonover, Ted Naifeh, Rebecca Nalty, Rob Leigh, Philip Bond, and Paul Mounts), Hellicious #1 (by Alan C. Medina, Mina Elwell, Kit Wallis, Jio Butler, and Micah Myers), and Oddwell #1 (by David A. Clarke, Walter A. Bryant III, Acacia Torres, and Micah Myers).
- Prints of the cover art on beautiful paper, plus a copy of Comics Comics #1.
- Starburns Swag, including an enamel pin and T-shirt, plus the Kickstarter-exclusive hardcover edition of Comics Comics #1.
- Custom commission drawings of the comedian of your choice by artists Robert Hack or Carolyn Main, plus a copy of Comics Comics #1.
- A one-day job shadow and tour of Starburns Industries, plus all three editions of Comics Comics #1 and the rest of our swag.
- Original cover art from Comics Comics #1 or Starburns Presents #1, by artist Troy Nixey. Both covers tie into Nixey and Patton Oswalt's story "Real-Life World's Finest," and the Starburns Presents art features Patton on the cover. Comes with a print of the cover in color and the Kickstarter-exclusive hardcover edition of Comics Comics #1.
Risks and challenges
The stories for issue #1 are all written, and art has begun on each one, with a few already completed. Distribution to comic shops is set up, and we are partnering with Black Box for fulfillment of Kickstarter rewards. SBI Press's previous Kickstarter, for The Crawling King, produced a gorgeous book which made it to backers and is currently available on Amazon. So our only real risk is not funding.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (29 days)