Scenes of Chance is a storytelling tool. Whether you need a quick, on-the-fly scene, or simply inspiration for the story you're trying to tell, Scenes of Chance is perfect for you.
Here's how it works:
Each massive, 3.5" x 5.75" card depicts a gorgeous, illustrated scene. On every card are at least three icons, each representing 20 possibilities. If you're adventure is in a forest, try taking all of the forest scenes, shuffle them, and draw one at random. Fate chooses the three elements depicted in the Scene.
- Players look at the card, viewing the beautiful scene.
- The scene contains three icons.
- The DM rolls three 20 sided dice.
- Three elements of the scene are revealed to the DM.
- The story is created, the DM reveals it for the players.
Want an example?
This is what the players see.
The DM rolls a 20 sided die for each icon on the card.
- Forest #6 - Tree roots reach out to snare travelers
- NPC #12 - A little girl, lost and scared, searches for a familiar face
- Weather #19 - A thick mist lightly obscures vision.
The DM then tells the story to the players.
"As you creep through the forest, a thick mist slowly rolls in. Pretty soon, you're walking carefully just to maintain your footing... in fact, it seems as if the very ground itself is trying its best to halt your advance. That's when you faintly hear the stifled whimper of a little girl crying."
Scenes of Chance is a collaboration between Twizz Entertainment and Tabletop Props. The result is a unique take on storytelling; 48 cards, over a billion possibilities.
This deck consists of 48 giant cards in a custom tuck box. We are starting small to gage interest in this project but the possibilities for growth and expansion are endless.
36 cards are highly illustrated depictions of a location, or as we like to call it, a scene.
Each scene has at least three icons, representing the locale and more:
While some of the art for a scene may end up being used twice, small parts of the image will be different and the icons will vary changing the entire dynamic of the scene. We have over a dozen images already finished and the artists are working hard to get more images each week. The day this campaign ends these cards will be ready to hit the printers.
Each of these 12 icons has a variable card with 20 possibilities on it.
- 36 scenes + 12 variable cards = 48 cards
The variable chart follows a recognizable formula; 1 is bad, 20 is good.
- 1 - 5 = Combat
- 6 - 10 = Traps/Hazards
- 11 - 15 = Skill Challenge
- 16 - 20 = Reward
Variable cards are double sided with 10 variables on each side so the text is big and easy to read. Special icons consist of reward, danger, and lore which will be used less frequently and are featured on the bottom right corner of the scene card.
Another example using the Sea Cave:
The DM rolls a 20 sided dice for each icon on the card.
- Cave #6 - Cave spiders drop from the ceiling
- Sea #8 - Gale force winds buffet the water, creating huge waves
- Weather #9 - Warm, nice day
- Special Icon - Rewards #16 - A pile of refuse holds an unexpected wonder
The DM then tells the story for the players.
"Strong, warm winds toss your rowboat about as huge waves threaten to smash you against the cavern walls. It takes all your efforts to stay afloat, let alone maintain your course."
- This scene incorporates a hazardous challenge, that also leads into combat and a possible reward. Are the players perceptive enough to notice the spiders waiting just inside the caves? Do they search through the pile of refuse? They've got a lot going on. What does fate have in store for them?
Add $18 to your pledge for each additional copy of Scenes of Chance (add an additional $3 for international shipping)
Risks and challenges
Risks are minimal. Most of the illustrations and icons are finished and we are using a US based company for printing. Once the campaign is funded these cards should be shipped within 3-4 weeks.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (30 days)