About this project
A JRPG fantasy steampunk adventure!
The desert plague is spreading from the East: a reminder of a destructive past.
Man has evolved since the wars of old, creating new ways to combat this deadly expanse.
Using Steel and Steam, man fights this terror, as well as the monsters that spawn from its touch.
Now covering half the continent of Terra Corpus, the desert’s slow and steady hunger is threatening to consume and corrupt all life in the world.
Some of the desperate seek out legends of the past: elemental guardians said to sleep inside the planet. Once resurrected, these powerful beings can be controlled, and guided to stop the desert.
The legends speak of a chosen few who have the ability to tame these elemental beings and reshape the world.
Our story begins with one such person.
What is Steel & Steam, and why is it on Kickstarter?
Steel & Steam is a retro fantasy steampunk JRPG taking place in a large scale world.
Fans of this genre have high expectations. Our goal is to greet them with great characters, a hot new world to explore (literally and figuratively), and a great story experience.
To make travelling this world the best retro JRPG game experience hitherto known to man or woman, we need to hire the additional talent required to help make this game as good as it is in our heads.
We have already completed many portions of the game, but we need your help to finish the rest.
For example, the art concepts being used in our demo have been created by a small but very talented group of volunteer artists who are helping us make this game around their busy schedules. However, we could really use a single artistic hand to keep the art style and visual flow of the game consistent. Thus, we are aiming to bring a lead artist on board who can make that happen.
Why will you love Steel & Steam?
Steel & Steam takes the best elements from the fantasy JRPG’s of old, such as great stories, awesome characters, and classic monsters, and combines them with a touch of steampunk. It’s like taking Lord of the Rings and mixing in the Wild West.
It’s a game where you, the player, decide how to interact with the game. The classic games usually had a linear, player-focused story moving the game forward. Steel & Steam follows this model, but also gives you the option of moving the story forward through multiple, intertwined story lines. Any character you meet has the potential to affect the end. Will you or will you not save the world? Who you interact with, and how, will affect the way the ending is played out. Whatever happens in one city or town can affect another. These choices give additional life to the world of Steel & Steam.
Who are the main heroes of Steel & Steam?
Noah Phoenix, age 19, 5’10, 170lbs. Favorite weapons: sword, axe or pistol. Protective wear: shirts, light, medium and heavy coats. Noah is an adventure junky; he likes to jump in feet first, while searching for the next mystery around the corner. After a short stint with the Silver Head City Guard, Noah decided to move on as a freelancer. Without Alyssa to watch his back, he probably would have already bitten off more than he could chew.
Alyssa Noble, age 21, 6’3, 200lbs. Favorite weapons: fists, clubs or rifles. Protective wear: shirts, light, medium, and heavy corsets. Alyssa grew up learning how to fight by protecting her father’s caravans. She likes to step back and assess the situation, before laying it out cold with a good punch. Noah’s best friend and protector, she believes that if she wasn’t around to watch Noah’s back, he would have been killed long ago.
Here is an idea of some of the things you can expect from Steel & Steam:
• A PC release: The game will be released for PC.
• A huge world to explore: The game is being designed as an immersive fantasy world. Cities and towns will be full of people and buildings to engage with, with story lines that characters can choose to follow regarding the history and current state of affairs that affect the day to day lives of the people who live here.
• An engaging story: An episodic story that involves two main heroes, with an epic conclusion.
• Choose your story: You have the chance to complete side missions that change how you interact with the world of Steel & Steam. From changes to the characters you meet, all the way down to changes in the very landscapes you encounter, the side missions provide extra depth that unlocks new stories and opportunities to earn experience without the grind.
• Retro style gaming at its finest: Remember the glory days when games told epic stories? Steel & Steam is a retro RPG similar to the classic RPG games played on the Sega Genesis, NES and SNES systems. Relive the past, relish the future, and revel in the now (insert announcer voice here).
• A little side fun: Want to take a break from saving the world? Then you can also play some mini games, such as fishing or arena gambling (if the stretch goal is met).
• Original soundtrack: An original soundtrack, with mp3 downloads available to all KNOWITALL level (and above) backers (if the stretch goal is met).
To whet your appetites we wanted to make sure everyone has a chance at taking a taste test of Steel & Steam! Please try our Beta Demo and give us feedback! You can leave a message here or on our Facebook wall. We want to make sure that this game rocks, and with your help we can make it even better!
Download: Click image below!
Like many Kickstarters, we have a meaty plan full of extra delicious goals after we meet our initial goal. Your help in kickstarting this EPIC ADVENTURE will go towards increasing the overall awesomeness of the game through achieving the following goals:
$3, 000 – Add new features to Steel & Steam including Quest Tracking and Arena Gambling. (GOAL REACHED! YEAH!)
$4, 000 – Create a custom digital music sound track! All KNOWITALL level backers (and above) will acquire the mp3s. (GOAL REACHED! SWEET!) End date extended
$5, 000 – Create a kickass user interface with streamlined interaction and sweet new graphics. (GOAL REACHED! BOOYAH!) End date extended October 31st 2013
$7, 500 – Steel & Steam: Episode 2! All backers (current and new) will get this for free, once we reach this goal! (GOAL REACHED! HOLY MOLY!) Date: January 2014
$8, 500 – Steel & Steam Episode 2 custom tile sets: All the new maps, cities, towns , dungeons will look even better with non-standard tile sets! (GOAL REACHED! WHaa What!) Date: January 2014
$10, 000 – Steel & Steam Episode 2 new music and sounds! New adventures need new tunes. January 2014
Most people don't eat meat plain. You want to marinate it, brush a little BBQ sauce on it, or maybe add some ketchup. If you like your meat organic, but want to add a little more spice to it while it’s on the grill, then here are a few extra flavours for you:
T-Shirts (price $15.00)
Beanie (price $20.00)
8 bit bead sprite - (price $ 8.00 small $12.00 large)
Kicking it Forward
Because we are huge fans of Kickstarter and the support we've received, we are pledging 5% of all our profits on our game to support other Kickstarter projects.
Risks and challenges
What are the challenges?
The great thing about Steel & Steam: Episode 1 is that the bulk of the work is done. However, we do have a few challenges to overcome in order to make the game the tastiest and boldest experience possible:
1) We must hire the right type of employees, and to do that, we must find the money to pay them. The success of Steel & Steam will be critical in helping us access future funding that will allow us to hire the employees required to make our games faster, and at their full awesomeness factors. Like we said, our goal for our first employee includes bringing a truly exceptional artist on board, followed by a kick-ass scripter/programmer.
2) We have to get our name out there. We have a great game to bring to you splendid peeps, and it is imperative that everybody knows about us and our awesome games. NOBODY wants to become forgotten leftovers, moulding and ready for the dump (cue bummer remix from Team America here), and this has happened all too often to other tremendous ideas and companies. A widespread awareness of Red Meat Games, and Steel & Steam, is what will keep us fresh in the fridge and bold as ever! So, please share our story, pass it on to your buddies, friends, family…tweet it, facebook it, google it…heck, run a mile screaming our name to the heavens and fitocracy it! (I think I am going to do this holding my NERF battle axe and shield today! - Steak) Every bit of publicity and awareness keeps the fires burning bright.
What we plan to do with the funds
The money we raise through this Kickstarter campaign will allow us to continue building an important track record of success, and will help us finish this game and put as much polish on it as we can. It is a great story with fun characters, and your support will help way beyond the monies that will allow us to achieve the goals described. It will also allow us to climb up one more important rung of the track-record step-ladder, which will ultimately open up the doors for procuring the additional funding and support that will make Steel & Steam the game we want it to be.
As well, in helping Red Meat Games complete Steel & Steam, you are also helping bring us one step closer to developing our future projects. We have many more inspired game ideas and stories to share with all you crazy cats, and the success of this campaign will help bring those to you as well. Help us stand as proud members of the successful indie gaming community worldwide, and we promise to keep bringing you fresh, bold games of meaty, delectable goodness.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
When backing a tier, just add the appropriate amount onto the tier for any additional items you wish to receive. With the help of our pet zombie and the magic of science, we'll make sure to get everyone to fill out a survey at the end of the campaign to make sure we have all the correct items ready for you.
Where do you ship to? I'm in [insert middle of nowhere here] and I really, really want you to ship to me!
You're in luck! We'll ship our add-on items anywhere in the world! Since we're based in Canuckistan (Canada for you outsiders), we'll be adding some costs for shipping outside of Canada. We have some surprises planned, and we'll follow up/edit this post with the additional costs. The clothing options won't be more than a few dollars, and we're trying to keep the costs down and get the shipping as low as possible!
Absolutely! When the campaign has ended, we will be sending out a survey to determine size and style. We'll have a couple of options to choose from, so your meat will be covered!
Any chance of the game being ported to Linux, Mac, iOS, Android, refrigerator, car's on-board computer?
While the initial launch of the game is for PC right now, we are considering extending the platforms through potential stretch goals. Except for your car. That would distract you from driving and that wouldn't be good.
Will the game come in different resolutions? I tried the demo and it's really small on my 2000-inch monitor?
Thanks for trying the demo! There is a keyboard shortcut to make the game full-screen. Hold down the Alt key and ever-so-gently tap the Enter key, and then you're cooking with fire! If we reach certain stretch goals, we'll be able to provide the game in multiple resolutions & platforms. Make sure to tell your friends so we can make this happen!
This is an issue we're looking into. When we know, you'll know!
The specs to run the game are:
Operating system Microsoft Windows XP/Vista/7
CPU Intel Pentium 4 2.0 GHz or faster
Memory 512MiB or more RAM
Video 1024x768 or better video resolution
Storage 400MB available hard disk space
We are eventually planning stretch goals that will let us build for other platforms as well. If we hit them, then we would love to share them, having it made for Nintendo DS would be sweet.
The demo weighs in around 240MB and you need to unzip it. It's big, but it's tasty!
That would be awesome news, both for us and for you! If we hit our stretch goal and get to make Episode 2, we'll finish off Episode 1 first, and get that in your hands. Then, while you are exploring the world of Terra Corpus, we'll be working on Episode 2. It will take us some time to finish it, but you can expect it by the end of 2013.
Support this project
- (32 days)