By partnering with and setting up shop in local schools, 'salad factory' aims to encourage healthy eating habits at an early age.
Help improve the quality of food served in Irvine elementary, middle and high schools!
We’re public school kids ourselves. And though it’s been awhile since we were kids, we know we would have loved a little diversity in our school lunch menu (and our parents would have loved to see greens incorporated into the cafeteria offerings).
We’re committed to promoting healthy and sustainable living – a cause that we’re particularly passionate about. We’re confident that partnering with schools to make slight modifications in daily menu offerings can generate excitement about food and improve the health and well-being of children.
salad factory is our way of mixing things up. In the Orange County community and in local schools. Located in Irvine, CA, salad factory is a fast-casual restaurant that allows customers to select from a wide array of nourishing and wholesome ingredients to create their own salads, wraps and rice bowls. Because no two people (or palettes) are alike.
Food will be purchased from local farms that have adopted safe, healthy practices.
By partnering with and setting up shop in local schools, we hope to encourage healthy eating habits at an early age. In addition, schools will receive the following benefits:
- 10% of school lunch proceeds to be donated back to partner schools
- Meals that comply with federal and state nutrition regulations
- A flexible menu based on input from students, teachers, staff and parents
- Additional fundraising opportunities (e.g. dine-out nights)
We hope that our efforts will set the schools with which we partner on track to participate in the HealthierUS School Challenge (HUSSC), part of Michelle Obama's "Let's Move!" initiative. In addition to the school pride that is likely to result, HUSSC schools will receive a plaque, banner and recognition and monetary incentives. In short, it’s a win-win for all parties involved.
With your support, we can make this dream a reality! The money we raise through Kickstarter will help cover expenses like:
- The cost of conducting a taste test of our products with middle and high school students to help finalize a school lunch menu.
- Rental of a refrigerated truck to deliver our product to local schools.
- Biodegradable packaging in which we'll serve our products.
- Insurance to operate on public and private school campuses.
And we're just getting started...
Other ways in which we hope to engage and educate students about the importance of eating healthy:
- Meet the chef / farmer. Invite our farmer friends (from whom we get goods) to school to participate in seasonal tastings and celebrate where, when, and how our food grows.
- Hands on salad making (and/or cooking) classes. Teach students how to prepare fresh, healthy salads. Get their input on the types of ingredients they’d like to see in their salads (and incorporate accordingly).
- Plant a garden. Show kids where their food comes from by planting a garden at school. Teachers can incorporate the garden into lesson plans.
- Hold a seasonal school-wide harvest party and prepare recipes using fruits and vegetables from the school garden.
- School cookbook. Invite students, school staff members, and families to submit their favorite salad recipes. Create a school-wide cookbook of these recipes. And feature one as a “signature salad” in the cafeteria (as part of salad factory’s operations) each month.
- Student council. Work with student government to identify opportunities for changing up salad factory’s ingredient offerings. Hold tastings of new seasonal ingredients to get students involved.
- Cooking club. Lead an after-school cooking program for interested students. Students can learn more about their own food culture or investigate other cultures around the country and globe.
- Concession Stand. Encourage a healthy lifestyle by setting up a healthy concession stand at school athletic events.
If you've read this far, you're the bomb.com.
WE CAN'T THANK YOU ENOUGH FOR VISITING OUR KICKSTARTER PAGE AND TAKING AN INTEREST IN OUR PROJECT!
Have a question? If the info above doesn't help, you can ask the project creator directly.
seconds to go
Pledge $5 or moreYou selected
A thank you card expressing our gratitude.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $10 or moreYou selected
A salad factory sticker. You know you want one. And the aforementioned thanks and forever-gratitude.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $20 or moreYou selected
For Southern California natives (or anyone else interested in visiting our brick & mortar location), a free meal. And all of the above.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $50 or moreYou selected
salad factory paraphernalia in the form of shirts, aprons, hats, wristbands and the like (please tack on an additional $5 to cover shipping costs if you'll need your snazzy apparel shipped). And all of the above.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $100 or moreYou selected
A bag of farm fresh fruits and veggies of your choosing (in line with our participation as a Community Supported Agriculture (CSA) drop-off. And all of the above.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $250 or moreYou selected
A tour of one of the local farms from which we source our food. And all of the above.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $500 or moreYou selected
A signature salad of your creation featured on our menu as a tribute to you and your palette. And all of the above.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $1,000 or moreYou selected
An invite to our launch party. Because we're forward thinking and have a (very small) entertainment budget. And all of the above.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $2,500 or moreYou selected
Your name permanently etched on our "salad lovers" wall. And all of the above.Estimated delivery:
Pledge $5,000 or moreYou selected
A coveted position on our Board of Advisers. And all of the above.Estimated delivery:
- (46 days)