About this project
New LightBox Video!
$25,000 Stretch Goal: Lasercut Felt Packaging that's a puzzle in itself!
Please let me get this into your hands! I have been working on this little cube since 2001 and it's the coolest puzzle ever and so simple - just shuffle the platelets of lights and turn your mind off or on to think through some ideas. It's part of a ThinkBox series. Lots of details below, but watch the improvement of light and magnets through the various prototype videos below. It finally works and is beautiful! Please just help me put this into production as the molds are underway!!
Thanks in advance, Eric.
Test Driving the prototype - it's great fun at night!
Video of FINAL Prototype:
This LightBox is a puzzle, a toy, and a tool. It uses LED lights and a USB-rechargeable battery unit encased in acrylic platelets to create a unique object that is part desk light, part puzzle, and part sculpture.
Video of Prototype 2 that needed some tweaks:
Rotating and arranging the platelets changes which layers of the cube are illuminated, and multiple light boxes can be combined to create new configurations. Its very design was intended to evoke the creation of ideas. It's adaptable, re-arrangeable, useful, and fun to switch on and off.
- Injection Molded Plastic
- Dimensions: 2.75” cube
- Photo-etched silver circuitry
- Light source / brightness: Multiple High output LED
- Rechargeable Lithium Ion Battery life: 8 hours battery life with constant use
- Weight: approx. 1 lb
- Patent pending
We’ll ship in Fall of 2016.
- 2001: Prototype 01 fabricated
- 2004: It was tweaked and rebuilt
- 2008: Featured in Mystery on Fifth Avenue as the final gifts to the kids
- 2012: Tours Puzzle conferences
- 2014: Prototype 02 fabricated
- 2015: Packaging Designed
- One Year Ago: Launched on Kickstarter as part of INTO MYSTERY Clue 11: LightBox (just short of 61K goal) but determined to begin production
- 2016: Prototype 03 Finalized
- June 2016: Injection Molds in production
- July - Sept 2016: Relaunch Kickstarter LightBox!
- September 2016: First run of 5000
- November 2016: Anticipated ship date
- December 2016: In Backer's hands to puzzle away!
Risks and challenges
The LightBox has been prototyped three times - we have tweaked every single detail, and all that remains is to place a production order based on Kickstarter demand. The molds are underway and we have been working with a factory for a year since our last Kickstarter project.
As with any Kickstarter campaign, issues of scale may arise depending on the number of backers, but if a million people want LightBoxes, we’ll get a million LightBoxes made!
Thank you again for your support and participation.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (57 days)