UPDATE: The Big Easy Express screening is SOLD OUT! We will substitute a suitable reward for packages that include tickets. Thanks to our backers! Only 68 hours to go!
Be part of a year of local and sustainable creative arts. I'm writing, producing and presenting 13 events of music, theater, writing, photography and community to engage and excite Orlando and a worldwide Internet audience in 2013. My year of living creatively.
Two plays and a live Holiday radio drama; five jazz shows, including a supper club and house concert after-hours cabaret; a show of my photographs; a creative artists' workshop; a workshop on jazz improvisation; a movie screening; and a spoken word performance, all under the banner of 13in13. We're so close to guaranteeing that these events will happen and every artist involved gets paid -- please help make this happen.
If we show organizations that audiences really do want to see original local theater and hear musicians playing their own compositions and are willing to contribute to it, perhaps we'll see more investment in creative work from other sources. I'm using latest technologies to both finance and produce these events by using Kickstarter, Gathr, Livestream, MultiVid, Square and more. There will be videos, audio recordings, photo books and posters at the finish, and almost all of the events will have tickets available to the public (some at no charge) and will be streamed live online.
The 13in13 Events (please check 13in13.net for more details):
- FEB 5: "Big Easy Express", an area-exclusive screening of the critically-acclaimed, Grammy-nominated movie SOLD OUT
- FEB 9: "Creating an Audience and Shameless Self-Promotion", a Downtown Credo Conduit workshop by Jennifer Greenhill-Taylor and Joseph Hayes COMING SOON
- APR 4: Brian Groder and Tonino Miano conduct a master class in composition and jazz improvisation at the UCF Jazz Studies Department
- APR 5: "Jazz in the Real World", Groder and Miano lead the students of the UCF Jazz program in a real world gig
- APR 7: "FluiDENSITY", Groder and Miano premiere their new CD of modern classical/jazz improvisations at the Timucua White House
- JUNE 25: "Jazz On Edge Supper Club", vocalist Heather Friedman and her trio perform at Hannibal's on the Square for a special dinner and jazz evening
- "Solos", House Theater Project production of the award-winning jazz play
- “Solos After Hours” House Theater Project/Jazz On Edge presentation of "Solos" with a live band, followed by a cabaret performance of the Solos Quartet with guest vocalist Lulu Picart
- "Water Cities", an exhibit of photographs by Joseph Reed Hayes at Downtown Credo
- "13in13 Reading Series", spoken word performances by novelists Julie Compton and Jennifer Greenhill-Taylor, playwright Joseph Reed Hayes and poet Summer Rodman
- "Host Your Own" Jazz On Edge House Concert in your home, for as many people as you want, featuring the 5th anniversary Jazz On Edge concert, which will be streamed live online from your house to your friends around the world
- "Host Your Own" House Theater Project the world premiere of "A SLOW RIDE" by Joseph Reed Hayes in your home, for as many people as you want, which will be streamed live online from your house to your friends around the world
- "The Little Dickens", a “radio drama” production of a cracking new Holiday show, presented in front of a live audience and streamed online
Risks and challenges
My risk is that without a successful campaign, half of the 13in13 events will not happen (6 are already scheduled and booked). When the campaign finishes successfully, we're in for a very busy year ...
My artistic philosophy has always been: if you want the public to see your work, invite the public. No one will knock on your door and demand a new play, piece of music or drawing ... creating your own audience is the surest way to guarantee you'll have one. So when I want a play produced, I hire actors and a director and produce it; when I want to hear local jazz musicians playing their own material, I open my house and invite an audience to hear them. Live streaming of new theater, home-grown jazz festivals, new ways of reaching audiences - when it needs doing, I take control of my art and do it, even if it has never been done before.
32 musicians have already performed for Jazz On Edge; I have written and produced my plays for more than 10 years. My experience and knowledge allows me to say that full funding for this (admittedly) rather mad project means every event will happen, period. Scheduling, casting, wrangling musicians and actors, finishing scripts, finding spaces for everything ... that's the easy part!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)