About this project
Host: A Card Game For The Rest Of Humanity
The world has reached the first great apocalypse, You're either a brain munching zombie, an interstellar alien, or one of the few keeping them at bay... for now. Collect and trade matching cards to complete your mission for either an alien invasion, wide spread infection, or be humanity's last hope, and cure them all. But every card you draw has a negative and positive value. Will you inadvertently let the enemy win by passing the wrong card. Deception is just as important as luck.
My name is Matthew Ryan Robinson. I had this idea for a card game which Inspires edge-of-your-seat game play the way that classics like Go Fish!, Fluxx, Old Maid and Spoons do.
The mechanics are simple. The excitement comes from the gameplay itself. I've always loved games that change drastically depending on who you play with; Games like "Talisman" or "Munchkin".
What I've created here is a game that nearly anyone can play: kids of all ages, from middle school to college, to early retirees...
Vince from Dad's Gaming Addiction did a wonderful video for host.
So, why Kickstarter?
1. Kickstarter is an amazing community. I've backed several projects and its cool to see people turn out to get involved. I think I've created some cool rewards for those supporter.
2. I don't have the capital personally to launch the game. I have been going over the numbers repeatedly to make sure I can order enough copies to keep my costs down, and to get the shipping boxes and shrink-wrapping and so on. As a result, I'm not asking for much more than I actually need to supply the backers with copies and bonuses, as well as print a couple extras to take to gaming conventions, comic store game nights, and build buzz that way.
3. Kicking It Forward! Something i've come across is the ability to say I guarantee 5% of the Profit will be used to back other projects, and i love that idea. (see details) http://kickingitforward.org
4. Kickstarter is so easy to use I taught my mom to use it. (She still thinks you have to close a window you're not using on the computer to use another one). From the backer side, it easy to follow what the projects are up to, regular updates to help the creator feel the supporters' confidence, and there is room to add additional rewards as the project moves forward.
The game is very clean and simple to understand with color-coded cards. There are + values and - values on every card and you work towards reaching your secret missions' point value.
STRETCH GOAL #1 $2500
New Box: If we reach 125% of the goal HOST will come in a Cardboard box that will fit 128 cards (64 side by side) which will look better on the shelve. But also give us room for the next few stretch goals.
STRETCH GOAL #2 $3000
Character Cards: If we reach 150% of the goal. HOST will come with Persona cards. These are for the roleplaying minded. Will you be the cop with one week till retirement? The stoner with an alien tattoo? Maybe an undervalued nurse who definitely does all the doctors work and never even gets a thank you. Finally, yes there will be a selection of Aliens and Zombies too! This game pits Aliens Vs Zombies Vs Detectives Vs Medics. with your support we can get these cards into the game.
STRETCH GOAL #3 $3500
More Event Cards: If we can reach 175% funding. I will be able to add additional event cards into the game. Creating more unpredictability, more obscure references, and more mad caps for your gaming pleasure.
STRETCH GOAL #4 $4000
More Mission Cards: If we reach 200% funding. I will be able to add additional mission cards, creating more ways to win, creating more intrigue over what the other players objectives really are.
STRETCH GOAL #5 $5000, 250%
Game Day: If we reach this goal. I'll throw a big ol' party in Dallas, Tx. Every backer will be invited. I'll pick a date and place (3 months notice for air travel discounts). Where we can hang out, I'll bring all the board games on my shelves, and we'll do a big launch party game day. Special Bonus for attending: Exclusive Game Day Swag Bag!
STRETCH GOAL #6 $6000, 300%
Charity: If we reach this goal. I will give 150 copies of the game to a charity. The top charity I'm looking at is Give2TheTroops'® they have a list of items the troops are asking for and are hard to get out in the field. One of the top four things sought after is board games, and I would feel honored if we send them copies of HOST.
STRETCH GOAL #7 $7000, 350%
Rule Book Dossier: At this funding level we will be able to put Dossiers of all the character cards into the rule book, giving more back story. These will be based off the backers from the Dossier reward tier.
Stretch Goal #8 $7500, 375%
Sneak Peak: I'll give everyone an inside look into the various prototypes I have coming up. With surveys to help push the development along when it comes to some key decisions. These will be on our blog as to not spam your inbox.
Stretch Goal #9 $8000, 400%
User Reviews: We will be able to send review copies of the next project to a selection of users for review. Be sure to review your copy of HOST. Good Bad or Indifferent, every review will be considers for the selection process.
Stretch Goal #10 $10,000, 500%
The Whole Story: At this funding level we will be able to realize the full potential of the universe of HOST. I will be able to bring a writer on board and make a book detailing the lives and times of our characters from the Dossier. PDF's of the book will be made available to every backer.
Stretch Goal #11 $15,000 750%
My Wildest Dreams: This funding level will allow me to bring a small staff onboard to develop the future of Broken Prism Games. Which will make the quality, of every aspect, better.
Here's a sneak peak at the Art Work by Ben Rose:
This Game Is Being Made Entirely In The United States.
Risks and challenges
The game is fully developed; There will be a slight shipping delay after the purchase date due to the following factors:
1. A Kickstarter reward of 4 new cards will be added to your game. They will have a 10-day time limit to look at the PNP copy and decide what they would like to add.
2. Once I put in my production order it will 2-4 weeks to get them produced, shipped to me for signing, and shipping out to you.
3. All packaging, labeling and shipping will be done be me unless I have the opportunity to hire a helper monkey due to delightful overfunding. I have always wanted a helper monkey.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
Support this project
- (30 days)