PERFORMANCE AS A COLLECTIVE PRACTICE.
What are we trying to do?
This is a project to support the development of a collective performance between the students of Universität der Künste in Berlin and the students from Altos de Chavón School of Design in the Dominican Republic.
What will your contribution support?
The aim of this Kickstarter is to raise funds to be able to finalize the performance with Jimmy Robert's class in Berlin, started this year in the Dominican Republic.
The goal is to allow the students from Altos de Chavón School of Design in the Dominican Republic to come to Berlin to complete the project and exchange program.
Thanks to your support, the students will be able to attend Jimmy's class during two weeks and show the final performance at the Rundgang Event of the UdK in July 2016 with all the original performers present.
For nearly a year I (Jimmy Robert) have worked with around fifteen students from Universität der Kunst (UdK) in Berlin where we have been trying to define what performance is and what working collaboratively means.
Teaching has been via workshops which involved doing performances influenced by various movements such as feminism while referring to the works of Yvonne Rainer or Valie Export amongst others to address particular notions of documentation and subjectivity, appropriation and masquerade and gender.
Therefore, students developed performances that were based around those themes thus creating a discursive space to evaluate these notions.
With the students from Berlin, we decided to create an exchange with the students from the School of Design in Altos de Chavón and in doing so began a platform whereby both countries’ students could learn from one another and produce works that highlighted their exchanges.
Their final collaborative work resulted in a 30min long memorable performance. Additionally, the students produced two distinct collective silkscreens, a large one (19.45x27.5inches) and a subsequent smaller size (8.5x11inches).
They were the result of a workshop which included drawing eyes closed and became a collage of several drawings together as layers. Thus revealing their working process as a group of bodies: although individuals they are also a layered critical mass.
Why is this important?
We want to raise the awareness about this exchange and bring this project to its completion with a final collaborative performance in Berlin in July 2016.
Furthermore, by doing this performance we are showing the relevance of performance nowadays within institutions. Additionally, this performance aims to draw attention to current issues and specifically how the migration of bodies in the current European political landscape is not just a source of problems but produces fruitful questions and challenges prejudices.
In July 2016 the students from both school will present a new version of the performance during the Rundgang which happens every year at UdK.
This end of year event always draws a lot of attention thus guaranteeing maximum exposure to showcase their work while offering a fantastic opportunity for expansion and refinement of the performance for this very special occasion.
Reward Every little counts. Your help means a lot to us so we will keep you informed by email including the final performance and additional projects we will do in Berlin.Reward 1
Pledge €5 or more and you will receive:
- Performance Postcard
Wish you were here! Because you were not able to be at the first performance in Altos de Chavón, we made a postcard. Just a glimpse of what we did.
Pledge €10 or more and you will receive:
- A pin back badge commemorating the performance. Wear it with pride.
Pledge €20 or more and you will receive:
- A universal THANK YOU. We want the world to know what you did.
- You will be thanked globally via our Twitter and Facebook Updates.
- Also you will receive a pin back button commemorating the performance so you can tell people the old fashioned way.
Pledge €50 or more and you will receive:
- A personalized invitation for the performance on July 22/23/24.
- And you will be personally thanked after the performance so don't miss your shout out.
Pledges of €75 and over will be rewarded for their contribution with:
- A tote bag commissioned to commemorate the performance.
Pledge €150 or more and you will receive:
- A numbered edition distinct small silkscreen art piece (21.5 x 28cm) created especially by performance participants from the Dominican Republic.
- A personal performance invitation.
The silkscreens are numbered but since it is a collective work they are not signed.
Pledge €250 or more and you will be rewarded with:
- A numbered edition distinct large silkscreen art piece (70x50 cm) created especially by performance participants from the Dominican Republic and Berlin.
- And a personal performance invitation.
Pledges of €500 or more will be able to:
- Go behind the scenes at the rehearsal and watch the artists fine tune the final performance. ACTION!
- Collection of the rewards 1 to 5
Pledge €2 500 or more and you will be rewarded with:
- A private showing of the performance before the main event at UdK. Become a critic and experience it first.
- Bring a friend with you for a private visit to the School and the Students in the Dominican Republic.
Risiken und Herausforderungen
This project will have some rewards that require posting to the persons that have donated to our Goal.
We ensured that we created high quality art pieces that represent the high value of our Performance. These will be printed when the Kickstarter has finished so that the exact number relating to number of rewards required will be made. Thus we can ensure the exclusivity of the rewards.
These will be sent the week after the final performance by registered post so that we can be sure that the exclusive rewards are insured and traceable.
- (30 Tage)