A prototype is a preliminary model of something. Projects that offer physical products need to show backers documentation of a working prototype. This gallery features photos, videos, and other visual documentation that will give backers a sense of what’s been accomplished so far and what’s left to do. Though the development process can vary for each project, these are the stages we typically see:
Proof of Concept
Explorations that test ideas and functionality.
Demonstrates the functionality of the final product, but looks different.
Looks like the final product, but is not functional.
Appearance and function match the final product, but is made with different manufacturing methods.
Appearance, function, and manufacturing methods match the final product.
The Bolt is a carbon fiber drone that introduces the exciting world of First Person View (FPV) piloting and racing to everyone. When designing and engineering our drone, we made sure of these objectives:
Introduce as many people as possible to the FPV drone experience without breaking the bank
Follow a rigorous design & engineering process and manufacture using the highest quality materials
Come ready to fly out of the box with no assembly or tools required
Ensure the drone is safe and easy to pilot for beginners
Featuring a innovative FPV goggle and controller system, HD camera, altitude stabilization and a carbon fiber frame, the Bolt packs cutting edge technology at a radical price point that offers amazing value. The Bolt is a complete easy-to-fly solution that makes FPV drone piloting and racing accessible to everyone.
1. Line of Sight - First for beginners, to start flying simply turn on the drone and turn on the controller. The two will sync up and pair, and you can take off. The drone features altitude stabilization and a beginners mode that makes picking up the basics a breeze. Learn how to safely and confidently maneuver and control your drone.
2. Screen on Controller - Next, for those ready to expand their skills and horizons, attach the screen to the controller and start piloting the drone further away. Simply turn on the drone and the screen. The camera on the drone will automatically sync with the screen and broadcast a live high definition feed. Mount the screen on the controller and youre ready to go.
3. First Person View Goggles - Finally for those ready for the full First Person View experience, swap the screen into the goggles and prepare for a whole new drone experience. Immerse yourself into the world of FPV piloting and cruise around high in the sky.
Or try your hand at FPV drone racing and experience the incredible excitement from every twist and turn. Drone racing is a new and exciting sport that is quickly growing around the world. Using FPV goggles, pilots race their drones around obstacles and courses to compete for the fastest times. It is truly the sport of the future.
The Bolt can be used to experience drone racing at an accessible price point. Simply turn on the drone, put on your FPV goggles and start racing! It is an exciting virtual reality flying experience!
The Bolt features a unique and innovative FPV viewing system that allows seamless transition from traditional viewing on controller to FPV viewing using goggles. Simply slide the screen into the goggles for FPV piloting & racing, or swap it back to the controller for recreational flying. Experience virtual reality flying! *
DESIGN – The Bolt Drone was designed and tested in Los Angeles by a team of expert product designers, aerospace engineers and drone enthusiasts. We’ve spent over two years working with our manufacturers to develop prototypes and perfect our designs. We obsessed over every last detail and are proud to present our drone.
Carbon Fiber Frame - durable and lightweight
HD Photo and Video recording
5.8 ghz receiver/transmitter for reliable and clear performance
Quick swap batteries with long battery life
Modular design for quick replacement of parts
Altitude Stabilization for easy piloting
Adjustable flying speeds suitable for beginners to experts
Innovative screen and goggle system for FPV and virtual reality flying
MANUFACTURING – We have deep relationships with some of the world’s most established and experienced drone manufacturers. Thanks to our manufacturing partnerships and direct-to-consumer approach, we skip the industry’s middle men markups (importers, distributors and retailers) and pass these savings to you.
CUSTOMER EXPERIENCE - We will do whatever it takes for you to be completely satisfied with your drone. We find happiness in your happiness. We are extremely responsive to our backers and hope to grow our community around the world!
TRUE QUALITY - Our drone has been created by some of the industry's most skilled and qualified designers and engineers. We believe we are offering a revolutionary product at a radical price point. We're so confident in the quality of our drone that we're offering an industry best 18 month limited warranty.
Drone Size: Frame is 8.5 inches (length) x 8.5 inches (width). Approximately 260mm measured diagonally from motor to motor.
Drone Weight: 0.5 lbs
Drone Motors: 1020 Brushed coreless motors
Drone Battery Capacity: 7.4v 1000mAh
LCD Screen Resolution: 640 x 480
LCD Screen Battery Capacity: 3.7v 500mAh
Refresh Rate: 50 Hz
Screen Transmitter/Receiver: 5.8ghz frequency
HD Photo and Video: 1280 x 720
Lens: Wide angle 120 degree lens
Memory Card: 4 GB Micro SD card
Video Output: AVI
Video Standard: PAL/NTSC
Photo Output: JPG
Flight Time: 12 - 15 minutes per fully charged battery
Top Speed: Approximately 30 mph
We created Bolt Drones out of our inability to find a complete ready-to-fly First Person View drone bundle at an affordable price point. We believe drones, First Person View piloting and virtual reality are the future. However for many people, knowing where to start is a challenge. We created Bolt Drones to introduce the make exciting world of First Person View piloting and racing easily accessible to everyone. Our drone won't break the bank, and is safe and easy to fly.
Our team is passionate about introducing the FPV drone experience to everyone and consists of military veterans, product designers, engineers and drone enthusiasts. Key members include:
San is a former Marine and is currently an FAA licensed drone cinematographer. Some of his clients include Toyota, Subaru and Cushman Wakefield. He has years of experience operating, building and repairing drones. He has dipped his toes into the world of professional drone racing and hopes to keep working his way up the rankings.
Stephen is U.S Army military veteran and is passionate about building robotics and flying drones. He has worked in a range of commercial industries including aerospace and construction. He is a rocket scientist with a M.S degree in Astronautical Engineering from the Viterbi School of Engineering at the University of Southern California.
Matthew is our product designer and was tasked with breathing life and soul into the Bolt Drone. He enjoys solving problems and creating innovative ideas, artifacts and systems.. He is finishing up his studies at the world renowned Art Center College of Design in Pasadena.
We’re on Kickstarter to raise the funds we need to complete our first mass production run. We want to restore the Kickstarter community’s faith in drone projects and hope you will join us on this journey!
Flight Demo Videos (3 Speed and Altitude Hold) :
First Person View and Camera Demo:
Follow Bolt Drones
Risks and challenges
WHY WE ARE DIFFERENT
We’re keenly aware of the different crowdfunding success and failure stories in the drone industry and also in the broader crowdfunding community. While there are a variety of reasons for campaigns failing to deliver their products, we believe it comes down to the following reasons: 1. Manufacturing Experience 2. Honesty & Transparency 3. Crowdfunding Project Execution
1. Manufacturing Experience – Our team has over 10+ years of experience working with electronics, remote control vehicle and drone manufacturers. We’ve developed deep relationships with our manufacturing partners and we know what their capabilities and strengths are. There are established product development processes and procedures that we have refined and perfected together over many years. Also our experience in supply chain and logistics means that our backers will enjoy efficient and smooth shipping and delivery.
Many failed crowdfunding campaigns don’t start actually developing their product until after the campaign is over. We believe that to be an unwise decision that usually leads to unexpected challenges, delays and eventual failure. At Bolt Drones, we’ve actually completed all the design and development work upfront. Our designers and engineers have already done all the foundational work and we’re now just tweaking and perfecting the product. We’ve gone through numerous prototypes and are almost ready for our first large production run.
2. Honesty & Transparency – Many failed drone campaigns embellished and oversold the capabilities of their product. They also weren’t honest with their backers and were slow to respond to their questions and concerns. We believe in the opposite. We believe in accurately describing the capabilities of our drone and being clear and upfront with all our backers. We aren’t promising a self-flying, autonomous, teleporting, auto tracking turbo super fantasy drone. We are realistic and have developed an innovative and versatile first person view drone at a radical price.
3. Crowdfunding Project Execution – A successful crowdfunding campaign is not easy to execute. Planning and preparing to launch a campaign is only a small part of the equation. Once a successful campaign is completed, there is still a ton of work to complete: finalizing product development, beginning mass production, customer engagement, logistics, shipping, delivery and many other small but important steps. Members of our team have successfully completed other Kickstarter projects in the past. Backers of these projects received their rewards on time and as described. We’ve done everything possible to minimize the risk to backers. We’ve been through the entire Kickstarter project cycle before and are confident we will deliver.
We want to restore the Kickstarter community’s faith in drone projects and hope you will join us on this journey!
Kickstarter Superbackers – You are valued and important members of the Kickstarter crowdfunding community. We plan to organize a few events where you will get a chance to fly an advanced prototype of the Bolt drone and give us feedback. Please contact us with your name and backer number to be added to our contact list for these events.