Dance is a powerful source of expression and means for building community in my life. My passion to move and experience of the diverse groups brought together through dance has led me to practice the Gaga movement language. Due to its unique focus on finding pleasure and awareness through the moving body, Gaga connects to a wide range of people. Currently, I am one of thirty individuals from around the world participating in the first official Gaga Teacher Training program in Tel Aviv, Israel. Together, we represent Belgium, Germany, Israel, Japan, Mexico, Paraguay, Poland, Portugal, Russia, South Korea, Sweden, Switzerland, Taiwan and the United States. I want to complete a video dance project of our inaugural class and each individual’s experience of Gaga!
Ohad Naharin, the artistic director of the world-renowned Batsheva Dance Company, is the originator of the Gaga movement language. In recent years, his sensory-based, improvisational movement language has been recognized as an innovative practice for professional dancers and those who have not formally trained. The Gaga Teacher Training program is the result of the increasing global interest in Gaga and the demand for classes abroad.
Raising funding through Kickstarter will allow me to continue in the Gaga Teacher Training program, and to begin my video dance documentation of its participants. Beginning in February 2012, I will start filming each of us in a location of our choice in Tel Aviv to showcase our unique environment, the breadth of our backgrounds and our signature movement identities.
To realize this project, I am asking for your support to cover the costs of an external hard drive to store video footage (244.08 USD), tuition to complete the Gaga Teacher Training program (5000 USD) and living expenses in Israel from February through May (3052 USD). In order to receive any contributions, I have to meet the goal of the amount requested. Any contributions exceeding my request would be applied toward living expenses in Israel from June through August.
My project will provide a creative documentation of the students in the first Gaga Teacher Training program and will also serve as a means to better describe Gaga when I return to the United States and apply it to my teaching, choreographing, performing and daily living.I really appreciate your consideration and hope that you can contribute to this project! Please scroll down and look under "rewards" to see my bio, links to my websites and more information about Gaga...
Some details about the Gaga Teacher Training:
- it is 3 semesters (October 2011-September 2012) with an intern period that will be completed between 2012-2013
- we receive personal mentoring from Ohad Naharin and the artistic directors of the Gaga Teacher Training program
- our classes are taught by Ohad Naharin and members/former members of the Batsheva Dance Company and Batsheva Ensemble
- we take daily Gaga Dancer classes which are geared toward professionals in the field and dancers in training- we learn Ohad Naharin’s original choreography
- we research in depth principles of the movement language in Gaga Methodics classes
- we consider information for teaching in a weekly Toolbox class- we take weekly Gaga People classes which are open to the public and have a loyal following in Israel
- we will take anatomy and physiology
- we will participate in a teaching practicum with members of the Tel Aviv community
Here is an excerpt from Tomer Heymann's, Out of Focus, which documents Ohad Naharin's residency with Cedar Lake Dance Company and offers a brief description of Gaga.
Special thank you to Russ Seligman for dance photo, Heymann Films for video excerpt on Gaga and James Graham, Michael J. Morris, Teoma Naccarato, Dan Shellenbarger, Rashana Smith and Jamie Taucher for tech support.
- (10 days)