THANK YOU FOR YOUR SUPPORT!
NEW! EXTENDED REWARDS!
1) Since we have met our goal, every supporter will receive a free digital copy of issue #1 (anticipated Summer 2016)!
2) All additional support will go into the creation of the next issue. If we hit $5000, Mighty Rex Steele will do a supporter exclusive video Karaoke version of "Funkytown." Believe me, you want to see that.
Now onto the Project!
You know me by many names, many elusive identities, but call me Dirk, Dirk Drudgler.
I own a comic shop near Cleveland which has kept me navigating the treacherous line between Barely Surviving and Complete Poverty for too many years. At its core, comic retailing has the horrible nature of being both insanely fluid and frustratingly rigid.
Welcome to my Kickstarter campaign for Comics Are Go! Comics #0!
For CAG!C #0 I have lined up contributions from several world-renowned artists including Derf ("My Friend Dahmer"), Gary Dumm ("American Splendor"), John G ("Lake Erie Monster") and Aaron Lange ("My Dad"). We have several more artists to secure and we will update this listing as they come aboard. All stories are written by Drudgler!
I’ve been doing this for over 20 years. Now I am getting old and it is time to blow the lid off the whole existential mess. Time to open Aunt Dora's Box!
This first issue of the series, #0, will be a 20-24 page FULL COLOR printed comic. It will contain several stories about adventures in Comic Book Retailing and a bunch of other wacky features. There will be no more than 1000 copies printed and it will never be reprinted in regular comic book form.
Comics Are Go! Comics follow the real life adventures of Dirk Drudgler, Comic Shop Owner. It will include small stories told within a shifting timeline of tales of…tales, you know. There will be moments of ranting and moments of joy, well, really mostly ranting. It is a language I speak fluently.
There will also be other funny stuff. At least I think it's funny. So does my mom but I think she just feels guilty because she made me wear lederhosen for class pictures all the way through high school.
Although this Kickstarter campaign is only for issue #0, I am already plotting a six issue series. This project is inspired by the media philosophies of Marshall McLuhan, the vision of Mad Magazine creator William Gaines and the graphic narrative form of Harvey Pekar’s “American Splendor.”
Pekar's work brilliantly demonstrates even the most common moment of a common life is significant. His comics gave ordinary concerns of daily existence a weight of meaning. He did this with graphic stories he wrote which were drawn by an array of wonderful artists, including CAG!C #0 contributor Gary Dumm!
Because of a dual nature being both simple and complex, an often used but mostly misunderstood phrase is McLuhan’s assertion “the Medium is the Message.” Roughly explained, the device of content delivery has a meaningful truth beyond any content it contains.
Cue, comic books.
Better, Comics Are Go! Comics.
Here are some details!
1) THEME - As stated above, Comics Are Go! Comics #0 is a comic book about the crazy world of selling comic books. It will also include visual gags and other crazy stuff. It's the bastard child of Mad Magazine and "American Splendor."
2) BUDGET - I am asking for $3590 in this Kickstarter campaign. I have budgeted out my expenses and this amount allows for paying artists, printing and order fulfillment. It also covers all fees and all distribution. I am not budgeting any money for myself, everything goes into the content.
3) MEDIUM - Comics - Only Comics, but I will entertain any movie offers (see the $10,000 reward level).
4) VISION FOR THE FUTURE - I have a million, OK, hundreds, of stories to tell and if this comic is successful and finds an audience I will do others!
5) EXCEEDING OUR GOAL! - I can't express how thankful I am for your consideration for supporting this comic project. If I am fortunate enough to exceed my goal, additional support will be used to begin production of Comics Are Go! Comics #1. If my goal is exceeded, EVERY CAG!C #0 BACKER will receive, in addition to the rewards offered here, a FREE digital download of the issue #1!
Risks and challenges
The project is scheduled for release at an inflexible date of April 27, 2016. It will be completed and printed by that date.
I have established a schedule and have reached agreements with several artists who are very generously contributing to this book. Everything is on track to meet the deadline. A significant portion of the material for the rest of the book is already complete but unformatted.
I will be producing the layout of the book while the Kickstarter campaign is running so I will be within a week to ten days of sending it to the printer when the campaign successfully completes.
Any number of things could derail the project, but since the deadline is inflexible, it would be a very major thing as major things go.
There are obviously the usual concerns, usually dealing (depressingly) with health or mortality, which could clearly interfere with my ability to fulfill my obligation as a creator. As stated above, this would be an example of a major thing, but we're not even going to speak that stuff into existence.
Thank you for your thoughtful consideration in supporting this project.
- (30 days)