Evening Update - Friday, February 14th, 2014
Wow, it has been one heck of a week for us here. First, we had to fight the ravages of a SnowStorm (still better than a VeilStorm). Surviving that event 100% intact (for those that are not/nor even have been in the D.C. metro area, we don't handle snow well), the studio had a lot of good news to share with its backers. Here's a quick rundown of what has been going on since last week's update:
1) Stress tests have been FTW. Last week we had some server stress tests which went fantastically. This week we focused on FPS and network code. Well, those tests were also extremely successful. In the most recent tests we maintained around 60 FPS even as the number of players/connections grew to 286. Our networking code got ever more efficient as Andrew cut our bandwidth use by around 75%. This resulted in even better performance (of course) and less rubber-banding even as the number of testers/connections/corpses continued to soar (we peaked at 300+). Now, we haven't added effects yet but we're off to an awesome start and Andrew and the team have just begun their optimization efforts.
2) We just met our Stretch Goal for The Depths™! We have now received over 2.5M USD in donations from our backers and we couldn't be more pleased. The support we have received from our backers is overwhelming and we will continue to show our gratitude to all of our backers as we work towards a December 2015 release of our game.
3) After unlocking TD, we announced that our next stretch goal, the "Giant Races of Camelot Unchained" will be unlocked at 2.6M USD. Even though this might evoke some guffaws of "Heard that before" our giants will not be the typical giants of games/lore and we hope that our take and twists excite our players. Information about them will be released over the next two weeks and can be found here.
4) The first 500 or so of our Builders should have received their invites to join us on our forums. They are beginning to find their way to the forums and we are glad to have them on-board! The ranks of our backers continue to swell nicely and we expect that they will grow even faster after we release some of the updates we have planned over the next few months.
5) Renee hit a home run with her latest Piercing the Veil™ based on our backers initial feedback. There's lots of great and new information about our game within and it can be found here.
6) Finally, I posted another Foundational Principle #15 which covered how we would handle additional stretch goals and continuing donations to our game. It was picked up by our friends at Massively here and it can also be found on our website here. It's an important FP especially in light of our making our previous Stretch Goal.
Next week we will start off the week with Tyler's latest Producer Letter and we'll finally introduce our new designer to our backers.
As always, on behalf of CSE and myself, thank you all very much.
Have a great weekend everyone!