The project consists of the development of a new PC point-and-click, first-person Adventure Game. The Capri Connection will be the third of a trilogy of unique Adventure Games founded on photos and ambient animations, where the set is a real place and most of the characters are real people, often performing in the game as they do in their real life. The previous two games of the trilogy are A Quiet Weekend in Capri and Anacapri the Dream. The former was published in Italy, France and the U.S while the latter was published in Italy, U.S. and Russia. The last edition includes both games in one PC disk under the title I Misteri di Capri; see the Official Web Site www.caprisaga.com for reference and more information.
Differently from the other two games, The Capri Connection set will be extended from Capri to other gorgeous places nearby, such as the Amalfi Coast, Naples and other islands. The new game, as well as the other two of the trilogy, will be available in two operating modes: Adventure Game Mode and Walking Mode. In Adventure Game Mode the player has to solve a mystery by visiting sites and solving puzzles along the way in order to reach the final solution. In Walking Mode the player just visits the set as a tourist along with a virtual tour guide showing the beauties and the features of each location.
The Capri Connection, as well as the two previous games, will be played in three language options: English, Italian and Italian with English subtitles. The game will run on Windows Operating systems, such as Windows XP, Windows Vista, Windows 7 and Windows 8.
In the News/Diary page of the Official Web Site www.caprisaga.com the Kickstarter backers will be continuously informed about the status of the project. The rewards for Kickstarter backers are also shown in the News/Pledges & Rewards page of the same web site. Photos related to some of the rewards are shown in the News/Apartment page. Through the Contacts page, the backers can communicate with the authors for any exchange of information. In addition they can socialize with other backers and with the authors through the Capri Saga facebook page.
Update #1: No DRM or other copy protection will be included in THE CAPRI CONNECTION. This has never been the case for DVD-ROM version. Copy protection has been removed from the digital delivery version too.
Update #2: We read some discussions on main Adventure game forums.
We are totally new to Kickstarter so we are discovering every day how it works. We are also very new in PR (marketing) because all our previous games have been handled by a publisher who took care of everything. So, excuse us for some mistakes and for the poor PR.
After reading your critiques, in Update #1 we announced that there will be no DRS or other types of copy protection in the new game. Actually, we have a simple, failsafe proprietary copy protection system, applied in other games of our productions, which never gave any even smaller problem at all to users. Consider that it's very sad for us to see e-mule and other pirating sites distributing for free our games requiring years of efforts, but, if the game community feels that copy protection is a hassle, we are going to remove it.
One of the critique was the price of downloadable copy too high. I agree, but the game is produced in Italy where costs are in Euros, and 1 Euro is worth 1.3 $. That means 25 $ are 19 Euros. I know this is not your problem, but it is a problem for us. If you come for vacation to Italy, you will have to pay the current unpair exchange rate. For an Italian game it would be the same. Playing our games in Walking mode is like a vacation in Capri, isn't it?
We experienced that our games based on photos with few animations and using very few drawings, either find super lovers paying any price to get a new game, or people totally disgusted. You can see here that one of the backers of The Capri Connection has pledged 1000$ to encourage us for not even one copy of the game! Try a bit of Capri and Anacapri previous games. If you don't like them don't give us a penny. But if you fall in love with them, rush to become a backer of The Capri Connection right on!
Another critique is that there are no details of the story or any activity progress. There are many reasons for that.
1. The deveopment of the game is not started yet. That's the truth. Even if Kickstarter goal is not reached, at least we can test how many people are out there willing to get the 3rd game of the saga. If we don't reach the goal, we may even decide to produce the game having identified at least the people desiring it. That's why we encourage you to provide us with your e-mail, so we can contact you later in case Kickstarter fails.
2. If the number of pledging people will be too low, maybe we are not going to develop the game. Or maybe we will produce only a limited edition, numbered and signed by the authors. People pledging 50$ with Kickstarter will be rewarded accordingly, but people not pledging anything will have to pay later much more for a copy of this limited edition. So pledge now and reserve a copy soon!
3. The game is not started yet. We are developers and not PR, We are discovering that we need to spend a great deal of time for marketing the new game in these two months of life on Kickstater, working very hard on PR. We are only two people, How could we work on the game if we are spending time to feed Kickstarter Updates, discuss in forums, and make press releases everyday?
4. We have a broad idea of the story, but not the details. We identified some spot here and there. In these games with true characters acting as they do in their real life, a great part of the plot is tailored around these characters that are discovered as we go around to shoot the photos. The details of the plot are defined while the game is developed, not beforehand on paper.
5.. Of course, we have a one page story well defined, linking the 3rd game somewhat to the first two, but we don't like too much to tell something about it. Remember the first Myst? The instruction booklet was... empty. You started the game without knowing who you are and what you have to do. This is our model. Maybe in year 2013 this is no more a good model and we should publish on Kickstarter this one page story and other details. Are you going to pledge if we do that? What do you think? Let us know.
Kickstarter works on spreading the word. Maybe the bakers can help a lot partecipating in Game Forums and talk with possible additional backers. At least critiques would come out and would be debated. Kickstarter does not help, because it is closed to critiques from non-backers. We need critiques and we are keen to accept them.
Risks and challenges
The technology is already in place from the two previous games. However, developing this kind of game is very complex, implying the shooting of tens of thousands of photos and obtaining permission to shoot pictures in some of the places. The challenge is to develop this game in one year. However, the authors are confident this goal can be achieved. You can stay tuned by looking at the progress of the development in the News/Diary page of the Official Web Site www.caprisaga.com. The page will be continously updated. In addition, you can e-mail the authors from the Contacts page every time you like for questions and other information related to rewards or talk with them via facebook.
- Your name will be included in the credit page of the game and in the News/Kickstarter Supporters page of the www.caprisaga.com Official Web Site upon your request. You will partecipate to a contest with two weeks lead on non-backer players. The winner of the contest will be the first person in the world to complete the game.
VOICE OVER TALENT
- Active participation to the game as Voice Over Talent. You should record an English text sent via e-mail by the authors, thus dubbing one of the characters of the game. The recorded material should be sent back to the authors via e-mail. You should select this option only after contacting directly the authors to verify if your voice fits with one of the available characters of the game and if you like the proposed role. In positive case and if you so desire, your name will be shown in the Characters/Actors/Voices page within the credits of the game.
- Active participation to the game as Actor. You should send a number of photos of yourself acting as one the characters of the game as needed by the authors. The photos should be sent to the authors via e-mail. You should select this option only after contacting directly the authors to verify if your appearance fits with one of the available characters of the game and if you like the proposed role. If you so desire, your name will be shown in the Characters/Actors/Voices page within the credits of the game.
- Actor option may include the Voice Over Talent option if you like.
- Meeting with one of the authors spending one day with you visiting one of the sites, at your choice, where the game was shot. Date and other arrangements to be agreed in advance by e-mail. Travel, food and hotel not included. Player C status included.
- Meeting with one of the authors spending two days with you visiting two sites, at your choice, where the game was shot. Date and other arrangements to be agreed in advance by e-mail. Travel, food and hotel not included. Player C status included.
- Inclusion in the game of a consistent set of photos of a premise such as a hotel, a restaurant, a shop, a tourist attraction located in the area covered by the game, that is the Italian Campania region.
SUPER TOURIST A
- One week vacation in an apartment located in Amalfi where one of the actions of the game will be shot. The apartment has two large bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen, living area with a daybed, terrace and a gorgeous view of the Amalfi town. It can host two couples and one/two children. Pictures of the apartment are shown in the News/Apartment page of the Official Web Site. Date and other arrangements to be agreed by e-mail. Suggested period is May to October because of the nice weather. Travel, food and maid services during the week not included. Player C status included.
SUPER TOURIST C
- Two weeks vacation in an apartment located in Amalfi, where one of the actions of the game will be shot. The apartment has two large bedrooms, two bathrooms, kitchen, living area with a daybed, terrace and a gorgeous view of the Amalfi town. It can host two couples and one/two children. Pictures of the apartment are shown in the News/Apartment page of the Official Web Site. Date and other arrangements to be agreed by e-mail. Suggested period is May to October because of the nice weather. Travel and food not included. Maid service at the end of the first week included. Player C status included.