Devil's Legacy : The Animated Series (Canceled)
A dramatic and utopian anime that will explore the meaning of fighting for the ones you love.
Devil's Legacy : The Animated Series (Canceled)
A dramatic and utopian anime that will explore the meaning of fighting for the ones you love.
15-03-2015 01:30 A.m Gmt+1
Dear Backers and Fans Today is the worst day of my life, my Dad passed away after 10 days of agony.
I regret to inform you that I will be closing this Kickstarter project. I am currently dealing with the death of my father and I am not in the right frame of mind to continue right now.
During the campaign we had people who went out of their way to make libelous comments and try to defame us and we haven’t done anything to these people.
Some even accused us of being a scam, stealing music, all kinds of racist comments which were uncalled for. You would think in 2015 is a thing of the past and I’ve taken a loss in many ways including emotionally and financially.
But I had to soldier on for those people who are helping me make this thing a reality. I spent all my life savings in this 2 years and half of this project, financing everything alone, hundreds of thousands of dollars and this Kickstarter was the only hope to go on, and save that.
From Monday, because the company and the project has been defamed and irreversibly damaged, the Phoenix Angels Studios, will be closed and 10 families will be without an income.
There has been a rumor going around that I threatened to sue ANN ( Anime News Network ) and that is 100% false. I have never threatened to sue ANN, why would I do something like that? I spent a lot of money on ads there, I spent time answering questions there and so did my campaign manager. I have no issue with the ANN site in any way.
Right now I have to explain this to all my team in Manila, their families, music artists, actors and actresses who are hearing this for the first time and also those who have helped to get us to this point so far.
There were interviews planned, articles and other things and now I have to cancel those and hope that they understand. Sorry for that.
So as of today the project is closed and I am waiting to hear from our lawyers on the next steps.
This is an interview that was already done yesterday 13-03-2015 for a guy who goes by DoctorDazza which has not been delivered due to the death of my Father. After this event and all the others happened in this campaign things are changed
He asked a few questions that seemed like they were meant to clean up some of this mess.
Hello Mr Dazza and thank you for your questions :
• What are you trying to achieve with Devils Legacy?
Devil’s Legacy is an ambitious project which has been in development for 2 ½ years. This Kickstarter is actually the second step in bringing life to this project.
There is a manga this is going to be ready in the next few weeks and there is also a game in the future but this Kickstarter is solely about the anime.
Devil’s Legacy is a dream project and it’s one that I hope to see finished without production committees, etc. Production committees are about the money side of the project and sometimes you’re given half a product as the end buyer. Devil’s Legacy is a full product from start to finish that has a massive world and lore behind it. This is what I want to bring to the people.
• Who is working on the team, and why aren't they posted on the website?
Most of the team is from Toei Phils. The team is not listed on the website due to the nature of their employment. For some of the animators this is a 2nd job and for some, they want to have their privacy for now. As we move further into the project, some of the names will start to be revealed but for now I’m granting their wish to protect their identities. They are all hard working people trying to support their families and I would not want to endanger their employment in any way.
• Why hasn't most of the information on KickStarter, Twitter, and as I can see on ANN, not been spell checked or have proper grammar? Wouldn't hiring a native English speaker, or someone fluent in English, or an editor, be a better move considering you're trying to appeal to an English speaking audience? Even your English is better than what is posted on Twitter and in the ANN forums.
Yes, I do have someone who has been helping with grammar and spelling but sometimes I get so excited that I jump out in front of him before he has a chance to correct me or to answer the questions. You may have seen him already on the forums as Evangelist. This may be a mistake on my part but it’s not because I’m not trying, just sometimes the excitement takes over. This is something I’ve been working towards for a long time. I will be letting him take over a lot more of the public part of the project, which I should have done before. It’s what he is here for.
• Is it true that the CEO threatened ANN with a lawsuit also for forum members?
I am not even sure how this rumor started because it had nothing to do with me or anyone on my team. None of us have ever said something like that and never would. I have not threatened to sue the CEO of ANN. We have spent a lot of money for ads on that forum and they have been great hosts. I’m sorry if this info got to them and they think it’s true because that is not my intention at all. I was hurt by some of the comments on there but I would never think of suing ANN, they have done nothing to me.
• Do you realise that the audience you're trying to grab the campaign are the same you're pushing away by claiming you'll sue the people that they look to for information and critic?
I am not threatening to sue the people looking for real information. There is one person who has gone out of his way to defame me and the people working with me. I am standing up for their rights. We have had to deal with racist comments, lies and other things which probably hurt the campaign and maybe my actions were a bit heavy handed but this is a big deal for me and everyone working with me. Why should we be subject to lies and propaganda?
line added the 15-03-2015 1:40 A.m Gmt+1
this is the official response of Christopher Macdonald CEO and Publisher Anime News Network
• Wouldn't it have been better to look past these "attacks" and either claim ignorance or say that you're working on making the campaign better? This is the Internet after all and this kind of response should have been expected.
Maybe, my campaign manager and others have said this and they have tried to protect me whenever possible but sometimes enough is enough. I have spent hundreds of thousands of dollars on this project already and if it failed because of a few lies, it would be a huge disappointment. Have you ever had a big dream, one that you might be able to make come true? Now imagine if there are people out there trying to stomp that out. It hurts. There are many people counting on us right now and I do not want to let them down.
• With the pending legal action, do you see this effecting the PR of the campaign considering your lawyers told you not to do interviews and the like?
I think there is a misperception here. We have to do interviews, kind of have to get the word out there. I will just have to make sure that the right info gets out there, like we have been.
• In the latest post on the KS, the CEO claims the "same group of people" are "attacking you" on "multiple websites" including Hummingbird, ANN, and Reddit. Have you got proof that these are the same people or different groups? What are your take on the "attacks"?
Everything is out on the net. Maybe I shouldn’t have mentioned it like other people have said but the lies and slander are getting out of hand. Do other projects have to deal with the same thing and with no reason except for the personal amusement of some guy who wants to make videos?
The attacks are baseless. There is no place in this world for racism, this is 2015. Why would people still be attacking someone because of their nationality? Does that make sense to you? We’re all people. They are working to feed their families just like you, me and anyone else. Think of how you would feel if someone took food out of your mouth and your family’s mouths.
Then you have other lies and such which are just not right. We paid for the musical piece that was in the trailer for the logo, it is actually a stock piece of music which is why someone may have possibly heard it before. We are also paying for the rest of our music, the artist is a known artist and he has to deal with this and so do many other people. Why should they have to suffer for someone’s amusement.
• What do you say to the people calling your legal action "censorship of criticism"?
Defamation and slander are not criticism. Criticism would be fine but there is a thin line between that and outright slander. We have dealt with attacks of all kinds and at the end of the day, those people aren’t the ones helping to make this happen. They aren’t the artists, actors and actresses or anyone else who is out there trying to help make this happen. The fans and those working to help make this happen are the ones I’m thinking of.
Thank you for giving us the time to clear up this confusion. Just like you, we will also post the interview for full disclosure.
Again, we thank you for giving us the time to say our part and if you want to talk in the future then you know how to reach me and my campaign manager.
The project is officially closed, thank you from the bottom of our hearts for your trust, your kindness, and your support to our project.
A great thanks from my Heart to all the incredible guys who backed and supported us in this campaign.
This campaign and project is officially closed.
The Underworld is a globe suspended in the dark emptiness of entropy.
It appears like our planet mirrored in some other dimension. It is covered in water and divided in different continents, some emerged, some not. Time and evolution have reached strange mix and crossovers in those places.
These are the emerged lands
- AVALON the land of the knights where the proud Sir William has his castle on Mount Lars. It is a land of forests and dark woods, where an ancient magic lays in their shadows.
- East of AVALON the cold lands of NIFELHEIM, the land of ice and snow. The cold northern wind blasts this forgotten ground where no grass will ever grow. Only the hunters of the taiga know the art of surviving in this white desert. Here hidden in a secret iced hide the Fenrir awaits a new master.
- On the south-east side of this world the hi-tech continent of NEW HIROSHIMA is launched into the future. Powered by new kind of zero impact energy this continent s a whole gigantic city. Everything here is completely synthetic: nothing natural grows here, everything is made by a technological process, weather bio or mechanical.
- On the equator of the planet are the WASTLANDS OF DRAKONIA. A vast area of the planet is just a desert, a red desert. That is DRAKONIA. In the very center of it, the only inhabited place the city of Drakonia with its huge industrial complex for the processing of metal. Around Drakonia all sort of dirty business is allowed.
- South-west is the tropical area where the jungle of AKATOR grows wild. All sorts of deadly animals and juicy plants are there. This can be the place where you find happiness or a sudden and awful death. Beneath the thick forest lies maybe a treasure.
- The Ocean that covers the rest of the planet hides a secret himself. Some creatures have evolved somehow to live underwater and they are kings of the KINGDOM OF MU. This might look like a peaceful place to be, safe from the influence of the demons. But nothing is what is like under the depths of water.
- The crust of the Underworld is indeed another particular space such as to be considered the continent of the mole-men and it is called SEWERIA. Those people are basically slave used by the demons to extract the minerals they need for their industries. It is a land of desperation, but rebellion here grows strong.
- The crust protects the very center of this strange world. The name of AGHARTI has been legend for centuries. This is the secret inner world that many have pursued. They have been called fools… You’ll see who the fool is now. It is eight so far…
- The last continent it isn’t to find on the ground, or underneath. It is not in the sea, it is not on the sky. The place where Astaroth lives is a state of mind, a place where no physical forces can lead you to. This is the place where the Gods guard knowledge in their temples…
Risks and challenges
1. We are a Legal company with our production department in Manila. We also have an office in Italy and in the Netherlands, where we keep track of all phases regarding this production. Ask and you can visit our production department if you are in the neighbourhood, we will be pleased to meet you and show you the process behind a high quality animation production. We didn't put together a team just for one project only, but to have a great and long future in the world of anime, to achieve a new and refreshing level of anime.
2. We are happy to have our production In-House which makes us fully independent and we don't have to outsource our work to other companies outside. We produce it all ourselves, from the script to the end result, and that's why the costs will not raise and delays normally don't take place.
It's a wonderful feeling being in charge of it ourselves and being able to correct and manage the project immediately when desired.
3. Here is a FAQ: Why the production department is situated in Manila?
Well, you should know that so far, the most part of the production of Toei
Animation, like Dragonball, One Piece, St seya etc. has been done in Manila from 20 years ago. Here you find the best animators, trained by Toei and other big international companies. Another reason is, due to the low costs of life in the Philippines, you are able to reduce the costs of your production and stay within the budget more easily without losing the high quality you ask for. Also big names, like Warner Bros and Disney are producing some shows in the Philippines.
4. It's such a privilege having these professionals in our team, animators who worked on the best series in the world! Please, take a look at their resumes who speak for themselves.
5. We put a great team together which delivers the quality we need to fulfill the high level of our project. We also got many compliments and great comments from professionals in this field for which we are truly happy and proud! This gives us even more power than we already had inside.
6. …... As we all know, when big production companies would be involved, we somehow lose the freedom and limitless creativity we love so much. These kind of companies normally focus more on the mass market and set different goals compared to our strategy. It goes without saying that it can't be our way, not at all. For working together for a long time now with our committed and enthusiastic, creative team, we aim for a lot more.
Being independent and staying it, gives us all the freedom and creativity we love so much. Therefore we turn to crowdfunding to make this happen, to continue in this way and to give our fans and backers the oppurtunity to be really involved in this project, to take part, to create together with us a new way of experiencing anime. Sharing the passion but also still keeping all the respect it deserves for being art. This will make you and us proud! To have helped creating something different, something wonderful, something that can make dreams come true.
We are at the end of our page, it was hard and fun making it, we hope you enjoy our project and support us by pledging it .
We thank you again for all your support!
All trademarks referenced herein are the properties of their respective owners.
One Piece, Dragonball,Gaiking (modern series), Precure, St Seya, Dr. Slump and Arale, Digimon Saga, Magical Do-Re-Mi Yu-Gi-Oh are copyright of Toei Animation Co, LtdLearn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (39 days)