Wasteland: The Rise of Altfelter
Wasteland:ROA is based in the Wasteland Universe, and is the flagship title for a series of upcoming projects and designs by Team CIREN
Wasteland: The Rise of Altfelter
Wasteland:ROA is based in the Wasteland Universe, and is the flagship title for a series of upcoming projects and designs by Team CIREN
Wasteland: The Rise of Altfelter is the result of years of love from a dedicated team of freelance designers, artists, writers, and testers who collectively go by Team CIREN. The game is based in an expansive and detailed world created by Jonathan Covyeau and has successfully been the setting of an ongoing, 5-year long RPS campaign. (Obsidian Portal)
In Rise of Altfelter, you take on the role of one of many class types and proceed to help with uniting the previously fractured world under the banner of Grezentheys Leon, and, of course, yourself.
In forming Altfelter from ground zero, you will traverse the wastes, encounter unique species, harvest materials, recruit specialists, build ancient technologies, and use your political wits to strike at your opponents when they least expect it.
Along the way, you will encounter event cards that can hurt or help, sometimes reaping great rewards, and other times losing it all to this desperate land. Monstrous machines called Constructs lurk in the deep deserts, hidden from sight until found, and with a completely malleable, tile-based map, no game will ever have the same result. Villages dot the land, willing to offer their aid to weary travelers; while ruins of an ancient culture stick out of the ground like the fingers of buried giants, just waiting for their knowledge to be deciphered.
Be the first to claim victory through loyalty to Leon and bend this land to your whim, or Eliminate your competition with the fires of industry. Be sure to craft a viable strategy or watch as other seize the day!
ROA plays in rounds. Each player is granted a certain number of stamina to use on various actions during their turn. Players can move on the map, interact with spaces and creatures, encounter events, dig for resources, explore ruins and villages, trade with roaming merchants, or go to a town for more supplies and helpers. Players can also reserve stamina from turn-to-turn to save up for more expensive actions or more actions on a future turn.
Grezentheys Leon is watching you through his spies far and near. His favor with your special approach to his goals hinges upon how well you use your station. Leon is hard to please and will only reward those who use their position wisely. Otherwise, there can be no end to his wrath. Watch your loyalty carefully, for as you climb the ladder, it unlocks ways for others to hinder your ascension.
Each game, Leon will have a set goal as well. Regardless of where you stand in his favor, if you complete all of the goal's requirements you win the game!
(Note: This is a work in progress. All art and imagery is subject to change. Some art has been used to replace others so that we can further refine our imagery in updates to this campaign.)
Build Your Own Map From The Inside Out!
In ROA, players will be randomly given terrain tiles that they must then place onto the table in whatever fashion they decide. All tiles are built around the central tile called The Crater, which is where the massive horror known as The Walker is buried, waiting to emerge and wreak havoc on the wastes!
There are 8 terrain types that affect the types of resources players can receive. Some terrain types can't be accessed until you've reached a sufficient level of technology, while some provide nothing. This engine is driven by resource cards that will either share a terrain type with the current tile and thus, grant rewards; or that will grant nothing and go to auction for the other players at the table.
Explore the Wastes one tile at a time, discovering all that it has to offer. Locate and utilize unique areas on each tile for your own gain or to steal the opportunity from your opponents.
Monstrous machines, left by the old ones from the Before-World have taken the wastes as their own. Called CONSTRUCTS even by the most learned, these beasts of metal and flesh roam the vast lands, seeking travelers and their own kind alike.
Claim Terrain tiles to expand your domain!
Build your empire from nothing using your Wits, Followers, Resources, and Ancient Technologies into something to be remembered. ￼
- Harvest resources to fuel the fires of industry!
- Research old world technologies for your empire!
- Gather loyal followers for your expansion!
- Recruit specialists in many different fields!
- Claim terrain to build your boundaries!
Construct Buildings to Fit Your Style!
Each player is given 7 Construction Tokens to place in their territories after they have claimed two or more in a row. These are special structures that will aid your empire in various ways as you seek to gain Leon's favor and build your own corner of the world!
Each player will be given the options of which 5 of their buildings to construct on their territories while the other 2 are forfeit. Will you build strong military? Perhaps research is your bag of tricks. No need for a Capitol this game? The choice is yours!... but don't forget, your opponents can take whatever you've made and use its benefits for themselves - and SO CAN YOU!!!
Draw from a wealth of event cards that can either help or hinder any player. Hidden treasures hide in this deck, waiting to be found. But be careful! Finding these things will push the end of the game and possibly give your opponents the edge. Sometimes great rewards wait, other times unfortunate circumstances will cause you hardships. But no worries! Your loyal followers will throw themselves headlong into any obstacle just to keep you safe!
Sacrifice followers cumulatively to disperse event cards, but be aware; those cards will come back in due time!
In order to unite the wastes, the great Grezentheys Leon has deemed you fit to enlist the help of people with certain...TALENTS... that might aid in achieving your goals. Be aware, however; that your opponents are also given the same privilege and can even take YOUR specialists!!
Within the ranks of these specialists, there are those who have achieved a far better understanding of their trade and have thus become experts in their abilities. These specialists will add permanent bonuses to your empire as they exercise their skills in the name of Altfelter or whatever you wish to work for!
Play as 1 of 12 Unique, Asymmetric Roles!
Each role will play differently from any other, and, with a combination of your industry board and unique and powerful character abilities, no two games will ever feel or play the same!
Roles Included in the Base game:
Role cards are simple to understand; but add a whole other dimension to what could have been a fairly boring area control game. Each role has been engineered by our team to bring something additional to the table, not just impacting the player of that role, but also those who are playing with them!
Use powerful political strategies to hamper your opponents designs. But note that you can only use these cards on an opponent's turn! Some cards can turn the tides of almost anything in the game; including auctions, technologies, resources, or even battles! Other cards allow unique actions and can perform anything from theft to bribery.
With over 100 different cards, there is no limit to what each game may hold!
The key to using these cards is to pick and bide your time, waiting until the right moment to strike and unravel all of your opponent's best laid plans!
The More You Spend, The Less There Is!
Using a dynamic market cost system, ROA gives players the control over the cost of resources. Use too many of 1 type in a single round and they become more precious, or outwit your opponents by lowering the price of one by trading lots in at a single time. Strong political cards can also affect the market value, as can the cycling of the resource deck. Be careful how quickly you dig or spend, you may end up hurting yourself more than helping!
The resource deck will cycle once depleted. This means that the deck will be reshuffled and a single resource card per player will be taken out of it. For each card removed, the price of that resource goes up!
Meteorum, the rarest material in the wastes will always be at a cost of 7 to start, and it can only go up in value!
ROA uses a unique system for combat in the world. Rather than relying on the randomness of a dice to determine outcomes, you must plan ahead in order to overcome monsters and obstacles. Combat is determined by the number and type of materials you have, as well as where the token for that monster's type is on the completely malleable market board.
An Example: In the above graphic, the player who decides to fight this specific monster on the map (token type) will consult the market board to find out how to dispatch the creature. In this case, the player needs 3 (x3) provisions to send the creature to their doom, but only has 2. Since provisions are worth 4 at the market right now, the player will either have to dig for some, buy some by using their other resources' values, or use a special ability to win. If the player chooses to flee, they roll a hit die to see if the creature attacks them as they run.
In ROA, players will draw resource cards based on the terrain they currently occupy. If that terrain matches their card, then they can happily call it good. Otherwise, unless they pay it's listed resources, the card goes to auction!
At auction, all players - in rotating order - can bid or pass to claim the card. The bidding begins with the player who found the card offering it up and then choosing a listed resource for players to bid on. Some cards only have one type of resource, while others have multiples. Any listed resources can be added to the bids until a winner is declared by all other players passing.
Each player only has 2 Bid tokens though, so use them wisely! Bid tokens only return to their owners after the Bid Track has been filled up!
Make Alliances With Political Factions!
There are many factions in the Wastes, each vying for power of some kind. They will be watching your deeds and status, waiting for the right time to ally and provide you with their benefits. Some of these factions share species with each other and provide more bonuses when brought together. Some factions though, will refuse to work with certain species and instead come at a discount to your opponents!
Factions are powerful allies and can turn the tide of almost anything if used wisely, it's up to you to justify their faith in you!
Be wary! Factions aren't always there for your benefit, and will sometimes leave you for another, more powerful player if you can't keep their loyalty.
- Encounter cards will sometimes spawn caravans and faction tokens onto the board for players to contend with. Each of these will have a required material to placate them and allow free passage, but if they don't wish to leave your lands, then you can't claim the tile they are on! The only change to this is if the token is a merchant, in that case, they are now your merchant and can only traverse your lands, and all trades made with other players means their costs go directly to you!
- Wildlife will move each time at the end of a turn when a "Move the Wildlife" card is drawn from the encounter deck. It is very possible to stack multiple movement cards this way, presenting a dynamic world where everything is out to get you!
- Constructs will rise out of the unexplored vistas of the wastes and follow players as they try to complete their duties. Even in death, these metal-and-flesh monstrosities make life hard as they leave Black Blood in their wake. These tokens will spread over the map and limit movement for ALL players!
- Each End Phase the black blood will spread from EACH placed marker in the direction shown on the tile. Multiple spreads can occur in a single end phase! Blood source tokens have arrows on them that indicate how they spread, whereas; Blood tokens will always spread to the lowest adjacent number.
It is best to clean the source tokens as soon as you can, as Blood tokens stay on the tiles, destroying everything in their path. To aid this, once a single construct has been dispatched, all players will be able to recruit a unique specialist called an Architect.
- Black Blood tokens make The Walker even more deadly and will cause more destruction of tiles!
- The Walker is a monstrous construct said to be buried in the ruins of the Titan Crater. No one knows its actual size or past use, but many have heard its distinctive howling-whistle as they get close to the impact site. For ROA, the Walker will make its debut! It will only spawn if certain conditions are met and serves to push the end of the game. As it moves through the Wastes, it will destroy (flip over) tiles, regardless of what they contain...The Walker will even destroy other Constructs! However; if you have a building or army on that tile, you can attempt to fight the monstrosity off. If The Walker has been infected with Black Blood tokens, then it becomes harder to kill!
The First Expansion is Underway!
ROA will be expanded upon for the foreseeable future through new political card types and terrain tiles, new specialist classes and factions as well. Even new resources, with set values, will be introduced! And much more!
But before all that, take a journey into the dark with us, as we explore the seedy side of the Wasteland world.
Extort Your Friends and Foes Alike!
- With the purple colored political cards, you can focus on bending other players to your will. Through extortion, blackmail, thievery, and force, you can use the dark forces of the Underworld to gain powerful advantages and take what you wish, whether right or wrong!
2 more unique specialist types!
- Using Fences and Enforcers, you can move through the Underworld like a wraith. These specialists, uniquely suited to this deadly place, will aid your cause by allowing special actions that can only be taken against other players!
Utilize 2 New Materials With Fixed Values!
- Tibrum ore and Phanium, precious metals dug up in the mines under the wastes, are worth their weight in value. With unprecedented access to these materials, players can manufacture faster and with more efficiency, using less materials from the above world or trading these precious ones in for more gain!
Risks and challenges
As like most things one tries to create: our team fully expects to have obstacles to our first production. We've addressed these possibilities at great length and have pledged ourselves to overcoming these challenges. We humbly and gratefully thank you for following us on this journey.
CHALLENGES SO FAR (RESOLVED)
*No one on this project has been paid to do any of the work, all our production has been in house and as a result we have had quite a few shifts in our members over the past years. We now have a smaller, but fiercely devoted team that will produce the final product.
* The designing and testing of a board game that is market ready. This challenge is to be expected and through testing and having outsiders around the country test our ideas in real-time with friends and family, we hit our stride and can now present a project we are proud of.
* Maintaining a life/work balance.
* Playing the campaign. All of the members of Team CIREN play in the RPS as well; and while we love things that are occurring in the story: the challenge became not putting all the campaign developments (story-wise) into this game. We milled it down to the barest parts and left a few hints of the things to come.
* The size. This production - while not rivaling companies like FF and Stronghold Games - is built and designed to encapsulate the world that we hope to present. There is a lot in this box, modules that cause the game to have longevity. We have grand designs for what we wish to present to you from this world. The size of the game has been a constant thing throughout the design process. But, should this game see the light of day - then know that the size will not daunt us.
* Production. It's been rather difficult to find a production company that will make this game, but we've narrowed it down to 3 so far, and are still actively seeking recommendations. Being an avid group of kickstarter backers, we know that the quality for our backers MUST be well above standard. Once we have the funds we need, then nothing will keep us from getting you the absolute best quality we can find.
CHALLENGES TO COME
* Producing the game as our vision foresees. Industry limitations may get in the way of us realizing our vision. That isn't to say that the game won't be made, just that we have a grand vision of this project, but recognize that the industry might keep our grand vision from being fully realized.
* Putting the story into the game: While the rulebook will breathe life into the world of Wasteland through blurbs and illustrations, this won't suffice, on its own, to open the vast world of the campaign to the players. We will strive throughout the Kickstarter campaign and production to bring the unique flavor and credibility that the RPS displays to our tabletop adaption.
* Production Funding (of course!): All Team CIREN members work regular day jobs and design in the time we don't spend trying to survive. While we would love to have the money to start manufacturing this game on our own accord, sadly we do not. However: that is why we've turned to you! Together we can make something that all can be proud of, have fun with, and hopefully form a partnership that will continue as Team CIREN rises like a Construct in the landscape of the table!
* Satisfying our backers: We strive for excellence with our productions and want to be active in the community here and elsewhere. We want you, as a backer, to feel that you've done something with your funding, but we also want your ideas, thoughts, comments, and critiques of all we do. Your satisfaction is paramount to us.
* Shipping issues and damage to pieces: We will be discussing the idea of putting a free replacement parts insurance together. This will be free to KS backers and only cost a flat rate for those that buy the commercial copy of the game.
* Artwork: This issue stems from the knowledge that some people like realism over illustration and vice-versa. Being that there are 3 very different artists working under the Team CIREN banner, there will be a variety of sketch work to mill through and pick the absolute best that our backers want to see. As a result; we would love your comments on our website as we place up potential new art.
Since this is a first production and we haven't done fulfillment before we will be arranging for distribution either through Amazon Fulfillment or Fun Again Games. We will not be looking into unknown or third-party shippers for the moment as we do not want to have an Isaac Childress (Designer of the brilliant game FORGE WAR) event occur.
As such, shipping charges for now are as follows, based on Amazon Fulfillment services.
Elsewhere: Variable on Distance
We realize this issue is unresolved to completion, and will be making a permanent plan shortly. A comprehensive list of shipping charges will be updated into the campaign shortly.
If you have any questions, please let us know!!Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (35 days)