Thank you to all of our Kickstarter backers who helped make War of Kings a reality! If you missed the campaign, please visit our website to order the retail version of War of Kings: www.WarOfKingsGame.com
War of Kings is a 2 to 6 player medieval strategy board game that combines exciting combat with a well-balanced and engaging economic system. Build settlements, fortifications, and roads, while engaging other kingdoms in combat with your armies. Beautiful artwork and amazing miniatures make War of Kings a truly impressive game, complete with a money-back guarantee.
"In essence, War of Kings distills the elements of a grand strategy conquest game into a compact and imminently playable experience without losing its epic flavor." - Jason, iSlayTheDragon
"...War of Kings proves to be remarkably straightforward, challenging, and entertaining." - The Cardboard Republic
- CarcassonneFreak Review - David's look at War of Kings can be found here.
- iSlayTheDragon Preview - A third-party look at War of Kings can be found here.
- The Cardboard Republic - Another third-party look at War of Kings right here.
- Rules - A full version of the rules can be downloaded here.
- TodayInBoardGames.com - Podcast interview found here.
- DJ Grandpa's Crib - Podcast interview found here.
- iSlayTheDragon.com - Interview found here.
- All New Gameplay Example - Detailed video found here.
- Simultaneous Play - All 6 players collect resources, trade, recruit armies, construct settlements, and fortify their kingdom simultaneously. This reduces the wait between turns, keeps the game fresh, and creates an exciting gaming atmosphere.
- The Maladorian Marauders - A card-based mechanic lets the players take control of a non-player horde and wreak havoc on their neighbors. From Jason, at iSlayTheDragon: "Simply put, this mechanic alone is worth the investment into this game."
- Minimal Set-Up Time - The game can be set up in just minutes. There are no boards to randomize or decisions to anguish over before play can begin. Nevertheless, the advanced game play creates a unique experience every time.
- Active Combat - The combat system in War of Kings engages both the attacking and defending player. The custom combat dice are intuitive, and everyone at the table will be cheering on the combatants.
- Balance - War of Kings strikes a balance between military conquest and the management of your kingdom's economy. Both will be necessary to conquer the land of Arowyth.
- Awesome Miniatures - War of Kings features three levels of settlements that can be defended by placing one of three levels of fortifications around it. We also have an original line of 10mm figures available to add to your pledge (or available at the PREMIUM HIGH KING pledge level). All are hand-sculpted specifically for War of Kings.
Beginning with the KNIGHT ($69) pledge level, you will find a box packed full of game pieces with everything needed for two to six players. Check out the graphic below and the video for even more detail on what you will find in the War of Kings game box.
All game pieces are supplied unpainted. The settlements will be solid colors corresponding to each player's kingdom (blue, red, black, white, yellow, and purple). The fortifications will be solid grey.
Our various pledge levels are described below. An infographic showing the miniatures at the pledge levels can be found here. For more details, see the FAQ or send us a message!
- Money Back Guarantee - We understand the risk you are taking to support our project, but we are so sure you will love War of Kings that we want to extend a money back guarantee to all of our backers. Therefore, if you are unhappy with War of Kings, return it within 30 days of delivery for a full refund, no questions asked.
- Kickstarter Exclusive Miniatures - The Maladorian settlements, Metropolises, and Citadels will not ship in the retail game box and will not be available to the public through any other avenue for at least 1 year after the backers receive their copies.
- Kickstarter Discount - Every backer will receive War of Kings at a discounted price compared to its MSRP of $89.
- We Need You - We have paid for the art and sculpts, spent countless hours playtesting and designing the game, but your support will enable us to manufacture and distribute the game.
- Help Us - We have designed the board game that we set out to create, but you can make it better! We are open to ideas and suggestions for War of Kings. Tell us what you would like to see, and we will be open and honest with the game's progression.
The goal of War of Kings is to expand your kingdom by primarily two different means: conquest and construction. Achievement Points determine the strength of your kingdom and allow you to attain victory. War of Kings is structured with rounds of play and different phases within each round.
- The Construction Phase - This phase of the game is played simultaneously by all players. Resources are generated, taxes are collected, players trade with each other, armies are raised, and your kingdom is built. Settlements start as a lowly village, but then can progress to thriving cities (and a Metropolis through the Kickstarter Rewards!). Players may construct fortifications around their settlements to protect from invasion. Armies must be placed in one of your towns, so forward thinking is essential to get them to the front lines.
- The Movement Phase - Sequentially, each player determines through a roll of the Event Die if they can draw an Event Card or if a Marauder Card is drawn. Afterward, they move any armies of their choosing. Your road network is key, as armies may move through two territories if they are connected via roads.
- The Combat Phase - Here, any combat is resolved.
- Support - Finally, the player ensures that all of their armies are supported (a mechanic that ties the size of your kingdom to the strength of its army).
You can download a special Kickstarter preview copy of the rules right here, but for a brief overview of gameplay, you can check out this video:
A longer and more detailed look at the War of Kings gameplay can be found in this video:
You may add on armies comprised of our original line of miniatures sculpted specifically for War of Kings! We have partnered with Pendraken Miniatures and sculptor Phil Lewis to make this possible. Currently we have commissioned 9 of these original sculpts. Three completed sculpts are shown below, and three more at the top of the page. We are taking suggestions of weapons, poses, and actions for the last few figures, so let us know what you would like to see!
As support for War of Kings grows, we will be able to upgrade the components inside every game box. These stretch goals will benefit every backer at all pledge levels. We have included some of these goals below, but we want to hear your ideas and suggestions for how we can improve War of Kings.
We want to share every bit of War of Kings with you. If you are interested in reading more about the story behind the creation of our game, you may go to our website: www.warofkingsgame.com. There you will find many anecdotes, game updates, and a gallery of all the artwork created for our game. Additionally, we put together a series of videos to share with you some of our thoughts and insights into the creation of War of Kings. You can find the behind the scenes looks at combat and economics below. You can find all of the videos as they are released on our YouTube channel.
War of Kings avatars are available, too! Find them here.
We would also like to extend our sincere appreciation to all of the many talented people who have helped us pull this project together. Among them:
- Ian Schofield, Artist - Game board, card fronts, and logo
- James Starr-King, Artist - Box top and card backs
- Simon Summers, Sculptor - Settlements and fortifications
- Robert Stewart, Sculptor - Malador settlements
- Phil Lewis, Sculptor - 10mm army miniatures
- Leon Lau, WinGo Industry - We are proud to say that WinGo will manufacture War of Kings.
The following international shipping costs override the costs shown to the right. To override the pledge manager, click on "Manage Your Pledge", and then in the bottom right click "Shipping to U.S." and manually adjust your pledge to the correct amount. These are flat shipping fees, regardless of which pledge level you choose (EMPEROR needs no additional shipping):
- Canada - Please add $15 to your pledge.
- Mexico - Please add $20 to your pledge.
- South America - Please add $30 to your pledge.
- European Union - Please add $30 to your pledge.
- China - No additional shipping required.
- Everywhere else - Please add $35 to your pledge.
If you fall outside of the above regions and would like a quote for your specific location, please message us and we will be happy to check for you.
Risks and challenges
When we set out to create War of Kings, we did not know how demanding it would be to create a board game. At nearly every step during this project, we have been met with tough challenges. Probably the greatest challenge throughout has been deciding on what NOT to include in the game. Producing a fun and exciting game is difficult enough, but to also produce an affordable, fun, and exciting game that fits in a box is even more difficult. Through lots of hard work, research, communication, and a willingness to lean on all of the people who have collaborated with us, we have met each of those challenges successfully.
It would be naive to think there will not be more of these challenges as we enter this new phase of our project. Once War of Kings is successfully funded, we will have to implement all of the manufacturing and distribution strategies we have created. Fulfilling all of our orders across the globe is quite a task. As issues arise, we will research and tap into the plethora of information on the internet to make educated decisions that will benefit our project and our backers. The many game designers who have come before us have been very generous with their time and advice. We hope listening to their experiences will mitigate the challenges War of Kings will face.Learn about accountability on Kickstarter
- (36 days)